PDA

View Full Version : Swanwick ATC frequencies (LACC)

LGW15
11th Jan 2006, 19:05
I have had an airband scanner for quite some time but does anyone know where I can find ALL the frequencies for London Centre or Swanwick as it is known?

Cheers

AlanM
11th Jan 2006, 21:24
SH, you don't like him much do you!!?!!?

:p :D :) :ouch:

Carbide Finger
11th Jan 2006, 21:25
You can get all of the frequencies from the UK AIP at www.ais.org.uk .

If you go to the En Route section and have a look at the routes. The frequencies will be shown by the relevant sections of said routes

Hope this helps

Regards

CF

Honey Monster
11th Jan 2006, 21:55
Go straight to the page with
http://www.ais.org.uk/aes/pubs/aip/pdf/enr/20201.PDF
Reg

prospero
11th Jan 2006, 21:59
LGW15
As you may have gathered ATCO's are notoriously unfriendly to spotters or enthusiasts in general. My advice is to search for your info on the myriad of enthusiast sites on the net. In my experience they know as much as most operational guys and treat you like a human being.
Prospero
Spotter, Controller.
Out and Proud

snbower
12th Jan 2006, 15:24
LGW15,

This page shows a map of the UK with all the transmitter stations, and frequencies broadcast.

http://www.airbandonline.co.uk/uktrans_map.htm

regards

LGW15
12th Jan 2006, 15:31
What exactly is you guys' problem?

I am only 15 and want to know what the frequencies of London Control are and you give me a torrent of abuse. :confused: :eek:
Do NOT start saying I should not be on here at 15 - the internet allows anyone of any age to communicate so there is no reason for me not to.

It's not very friendly at all and puts a bad light on how good your job can be.

Not very nice for me to post a question and get a whole load of abuse from you lot!

It may not be my place to say but learn some manners and if you have nothing better to do than slag me off for such a little question then you obviously have something wrong and I wish you to explain it.

Carbide finger,
It is NOT illegal to listen to ATC frequencies perhaps you should research the laws which state it is only illegal to pass on information heard AND
Silenthandover,
I can see you don't have kids yourself and if you do I would hate to think what they are like when you want to put ASBOs on them.
I have never been in trouble with the law and do not plan to be.
Carbide finger: go ahead with a pathetic acusation against a 15 year old and see where it gets you and how pathetic you will look.
No one likes a grass do they

It is really sad that you guys cannot be friendly when there is absoulutely no reason not to be!

On a positive note,
Thank you to the FRIENDLY people:
snbower - cheers have got the frequencies
prospero - glad that you are a friendly controller that doesn't have his head up his arse.
Honey Monster - Cheers will be going to that site later.

m5dnd
12th Jan 2006, 15:52
LGW15,
As this particular thread has been coverered before on Pprune may I say again that unless You hold the appropriate license it IS illegal to listen to the Airband as it is the police..(In the UK that is!) This Is coverered by the Wireless Telegraphy Act so I would suggest You searce that document and read..
You are allowed to listen to things like the BBC, IBA, Commercial Radio Stations, Radio Amateurs, and oddly enough Time Signal Station on HF.

I agree that there was no need to be typed to like the messages above..

So with that.. Happy (And Careful!) listening !!

PPRuNe Radar
12th Jan 2006, 16:35
I have removed the unhelpful and abusive posts .. and that includes your last one LGW15. Very ironic you tell people on here to have manners and then call them all manner of names and tell them to grow up ;)

Thanks to the new software, the posts are always available for review so if anyone has any complaints .... fire away ;)

PS Listening to Air Comms frequencies in the UK is illegal to the general public. Enforcement is another matter of course :ok:

AlanM
12th Jan 2006, 16:43
All I said was "you don't like him much!" in response to another post.

I bet units are queuing up to have LGW15 posted to him if he makes it!!

(Fiver says this gets deleted within 5 minutes!!!! :))

vintage ATCO
12th Jan 2006, 16:44
Should there be any doubt read this from the Ofcom site http://www.ofcom.org.uk/static/archive/ra/publication/ra_info/ra169.htm ;)

I hear someone streaming live UK ATC on the internet was 'dealt with' before Christmas. :D

PPRuNe Radar
12th Jan 2006, 16:47
I'll take your fiver AlanM ;)

Your comment would have looked silly with all the stuff it referred to having been removed ... but I'll put it back :p

LGW15
12th Jan 2006, 16:58
Cheers Pprune Radar,

You got rid of all the rubbish posts that were really annoying me.

AlanM,
Nothing wrong with your post!

colmac747
12th Jan 2006, 16:58
Have spent years and years listening to ATC on the airband. For my enjoyment only. Never thought about passing on info to a third party.

I hold an radio amateurs license, know all the rules about listening and transmitting and in my book, if done carefully (and without telling Tom, Dick, Harry et al down the road what you do), shouldn't be a problem..

Funnily enough, there are many, many publications aimed at the airband listener/scanner enthusiast written by qualified ATC people readily available from High St newsagents/good bookshops.

It can't be that illegal if you are able to purchase a book with all the in's and out's about ATC - they all carry a forward message along the lines of "Watch what you do when listening - and be descrete"

Can't offer much more than.

LGW15
12th Jan 2006, 17:01
I wanted to get an radio amateurs license and I believe this is free for under 16s or 18s?

Anyone got a link to the ofcom page with that?

I take it that once I get the license I can listen to ATC?

Cheers

colmac747
12th Jan 2006, 17:05
Here: http://www.ofcom.org.uk/radiocomms/ifi/licensing/classes/amateur/

LGW15
12th Jan 2006, 17:09
Do I need to have that just to receive ATC on airband scanner?

I have a Maycom AR-108 so is this model capable of sending messages?

colmac747
12th Jan 2006, 17:16
Nah, mate!

Your radio is an airband receiver! Receives transmissions only. NOT able to transmit - you'd need a transmitter for that (and your mostly definetly NOT allowed to transmit on the ATC freqs:ouch: )

Airband listening is license free (think about it, your Maycom was bought over a counter or mail order etc) although as someone mentioned earlier; a radio amateur license lets you transmit(or listen) on the various amateur bands.

Besides, you don't want to send messages on an airband frequency anyway!

Gonzo
12th Jan 2006, 17:21
It is illegal to listen to UK airband, unless you're a proplerly licenced aeronautical radio station (ATC unit, aircraft etc.).

It is technically possible listen to the airband using such a receiver, but nonetheless it is illegal.

PPRuNe Radar, is it possible for a topic explaining this to be a sticky? We get this question every few months.

LGW15
12th Jan 2006, 17:35
All I wanted to know initially was the Swanwick frequencies but if you could make it a sticky would help others.

vintage ATCO
12th Jan 2006, 18:39
As Gonzo says, this comes up every so often. When it was raise on the Private Flying Forum in May 2003 BRL referred it the Radiocommunications Agency, now called Ofcom. Their reply is here (near the bottom) http://www.pprune.org/forums/printthread.php?t=69140&page=2&pp=20

PPRuNe Radar
12th Jan 2006, 18:49
A sticky is a good idea. Will collate the relevant info.:ok:

Gonzo
12th Jan 2006, 19:46
LGW15, I do appreciate why you want to listen to the airband, but as you've learnt this isn't really the place to ask for frequencies! The are many spotters websites and/or publications advertised in aviation magazines where that information is readily available. :ok:

prospero
12th Jan 2006, 20:32
Gonzo
"but as you've learnt this isn't really the place to ask for frequencies!"

Don't you think its a shame that this is the case. Why shouldn't a guy ask about frequencies on this forum instead of getting a load of self righteous pompous replies about its legality?
It just makes us look like a bunch of prigs.
Best Regards
Prospero

LGW15
12th Jan 2006, 20:47
prospero,

Thats how about 80% of the people on these forums come across to me as:
bunch of prigs

Although has been useful to have replies informing me of the legality.
:ok:

SilentHandover
12th Jan 2006, 21:13
Hey I thought we were banned from insults on this thread, I am hugely offended by being called a Prig.

Carbide Finger
12th Jan 2006, 21:24
Radar,
Is there any chance of having an FAQ stickied to the top? I can think of quite a few questions that get asked every couple of months.

LGW15,
Why don't you visit the tower. You'd then see that ATCOs do have a particularily vicious sense of humour. Give them a ring, they're usually fairly accomodating

AlanM
12th Jan 2006, 21:38
CF

Give them a ring, they're usually fairly accomodating

You have no idea what you have said!! :)

take cover

Barnaby the Bear
12th Jan 2006, 21:48
Most units are accomodating if you bring Mr Kipling along with you! :}

mattcarus
12th Jan 2006, 22:55
This actually raises quite an interesting point which, as a radio amateur and CB user I feel able to comment on.

Ofcom states that you are permitted to listen to broadcasts intended for public reception eg BBC, other commercial stations, Radio Amateurs, CB etc. This is the same Ofcom that explicitly prohibits radio amateurs and CB users from broadcasting (defined as a transmission intended for the reception of multiple listeners). Radio Amateurs (and, in general, CB users) make transmissions to specific stations - refered to by callsign, much like a transmission to a specific aircraft. These are 'private' communications and therefore (by Ofcoms definitions) illegal to listen in to. There are circumstances where radio amateurs, cb users and indeed aircraft may broadcast, in radio amateur and CB terms, this may be a CQ call and for aircraft (and amateurs & CB), mayday, pan pan, ATIS, nav beacons etc are all intended for mass-reception - i.e. a broadcast and therefore legal to listen to.

Sounds like too much legal mumbo-jumbo to be, appologies for the long post.

Matt

Carbide Finger
13th Jan 2006, 08:13
AlanM, You should listen to some of my coordinations at work!

Matt,

I can understand you being able (legally) to listen to ATIS, beacons etc but you might be hard pushed to defend listening to 121.5 if you got caught. As a general rule, D and D have got this one covered. So it could be argued that this is not for mass reception. If however you lived in the back of beyond, Aus, you could claim that it is for mass reception.

To be honest, I don't mind anyone listening in. Hey, I hope you all enjoy my dulcet tones. Quite frankly, I think the breakthrough from taxis etc etc is more of an issue.

As an aside, How many people use iTrips in their cars? These are illegal as well but many more people probably use them than airband receivers!

CF

Spamcan defender
13th Jan 2006, 09:56
So does that mean then that say an ATCO spotter (just like me :rolleyes: ) on his days off fancies a listen-in to see how better/worse (!) his colleagues are. Does he still face the same wrath of OFCOM bearing in mind he carries a licence to use VHF frequ's and a controllers licence?

Just a thought :hmm:

Spamcan

AlanM
13th Jan 2006, 10:09
....on his days off fancies a listen-in to see how better/worse (!) his colleagues are.

Interesting Question mate - and I have no problem with spotters - but you really need to take a break from work pal! I enjoy the job but never think of it on my days off.

Spamcan defender
13th Jan 2006, 10:15
I agree.:) Was just a theoretical question :O . Thankfully MY life is full of interesting things to do on my days off. I dont even own a scanner :8 . As I said, was just a possible scenario where a grey area might have been identified.
Thanks for your concern about my wellbeing though :ok:
Spamcan

PPRuNe Radar
13th Jan 2006, 13:37
Spamcan

Your RT licence or ATCO licence is only applicable when operating from an authorised location, i.e. in a radio licenced aircraft or an ATC unit. So in theory you could be prosecuted, although common sense would dictate not - as long as you don't call the police mans horse gay ;)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/oxfordshire/4606022.stm

Spamcan defender
13th Jan 2006, 14:38
;) Thanks for the advice. I have been known to say defamatory things to police horses in the past.:ok:
:E :E :E

Spamcan

LGW15
13th Jan 2006, 14:38
You seem to be quite welcoming once you have left your nasty comments out of the thread.

I have been to a control tower and the MANAGER was THE most cheerful in the whole place!
He was the one that was smiling making jokes etc.

Then there were about 4-5 controllers doing absolutely nothing and were laughing as loud as they possibly could between themselves and kept looking round to see if we had gone yet!? :suspect:

That police man's horse story is quite amusing PPRuNe Radar ;)

Carbide Finger
13th Jan 2006, 20:33
LGW15,

Careful there, you might get flamed again. I'm sure those controllers were working very hard! The earlier comments shouldn't be taken as nasty. This thread comes up a couple of times a year and normally gets this treatment. Also ATCOs aren't very friendly towards spotters, despite having quite a few within their units. Harden up that skin for future posts/threads!

LGW15
13th Jan 2006, 20:37
You may think so but I knew when they were contacting aircraft because could hear it quite clearly and the manager would pause to allow complete silence and then begin again and the controllers would then laugh at each other and talk and not even acknowledge we were there.
:\

Carbide Finger
13th Jan 2006, 20:50
Blimey, when my manager stands behind me and talks, he doesn't care what's going on! That KK manager will go far.

SilentHandover
15th Jan 2006, 20:31
Sorry LGW15 next time you visit we'll stop doing what we do every day and give all our time and effort over to you and you alone.

LGW15
15th Jan 2006, 20:37
Christ!

Some of you do have some nasty comments!

I did not say the controllers should have dropped everything - there was nothing for them to control and the least they could do would be to acknowledge our presence and at least smile or say hello!

Please is that too much to ask common curtousy or do you forget that in the tower?

colmac747
15th Jan 2006, 21:09
hmmm! Nasty comments, LGW15?

This was a thread/topic started by you looking for help. Granted, some of the replies have been off-hand. Many haven't.

You've not once thanked anyone for their help in helping you. Perhaps the replies equal your arrogance?

LGW15
16th Jan 2006, 06:40
'On a positive note,
Thank you to the FRIENDLY people:
snbower - cheers have got the frequencies
prospero - glad that you are a friendly controller that doesn't have his head up his arse.
Honey Monster - Cheers will be going to that site later.'

:confused:

LGW15
16th Jan 2006, 06:44
I would like to apologise to any of you who have taken my comments badly I apologise.
I accept that I shouldn't have put this thread in this forum as it is for professionals and reflects this is the name PPRuNe.
I hope I havn't upset any of you and if so I apologise.

Apologies to:
colmac747
SilentHandover
Carbide Finger
PPRuNe Radar

Thank you to all those that have helped with my question it has been most appreciated.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
16th Jan 2006, 07:15
Methinks others will recall previous postings from this gent.... However..

<I wanted to get an radio amateurs license and I believe this is free for under 16s or 18s? Anyone got a link to the ofcom page with that? I take it that once I get the license I can listen to ATC?>

I have been a Licenced Radio Amateur for 30 years. Amateur Licences cost £15 per year - they are not free to anyone so far as I am aware and it is necessary to study and take exams for each class of licence. I suggest you contact the Radio Society of Great Britain for more information (www.rsgb.org). However, it sounds like you only want to obtain such a licence for purposes other than for which it intended so I suggest you forget it.

NO licence you can obtain will authorise you to listen to ATC communications unless, for example, you are training to be a pilot. NO licence is available to any member of the general public to listen to ATC comms. Licenced pilots, licenced air traffic controllers and other such professionals are not permitted to listen to ATC comms whilst they are not working. Full Stop.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
16th Jan 2006, 10:39
Just been informed - Amateur RAdio LIcences are free to those under 21 and over 75. Candidates of whatever age still have to fulfil the licence requirements..