PDA

View Full Version : NATS Selection Tests

261A
10th Jan 2006, 15:54
I am currently applying to NATS for trainee ATCO position.
I am not worried but more curious as to how I will do in the aptitude tests or selection tests as NATS calls them.

My curiousity is because since I was about 13/14 years old I have been looking at becoming an ATCO and have read literally anything about air traffic control and I have visited several units including Swanwick and one London airport and I have also had work experience within a local aerodrome's ATC unit and within the CAA.

Because of this I am curious as to whether I will do well or c*** as this has been my ambition really since the age of 14 and want this career so much and have seen from all your posts that you love your jobs as ATCOs.

So can anyone tell me (constructive replies please) if I have a strong chance of being 'selected'?

Cheers

Feel free to PM me if required.

mattcarus
10th Jan 2006, 17:18
The whole point of aptitude testing is that previous experience counts for nothing. Your experience will be invaluable (in the interview etc) however it won't (shouldn't) make a difference to the aptitude tests.

Matt

Northerner
10th Jan 2006, 20:29
As Matt rightly says, your experience won't count in the aptitude tests, because ultimately they are there to find out if you have a natural aptitude for the job. Once you get to an interview then you are likely to do well considering the interest and experience you have, although it's not guaranteed.

Give it a go - you have nothing to lose and everything to gain. Get past the first hurdle (the tests) and get on to the second hurdle (the interview) where it really will be up to you.

And Good Luck!

Cheers,
N
:ok:

"Keep smiling, it makes people wonder what you're up to..."

261A
11th Jan 2006, 18:25
Any of you succesful guys practice for the selection tests at all with books etc.?

mattcarus
11th Jan 2006, 20:12
Again, there's not much practice you can do. You have the oppotunity to do 'Practice' tests - and if I were you, I'd do a few of them. The only way you can really prepare is to know what sort of questions you'll get. Aptitude tests really do sort those who 'have it' from those who don't. Someone with a poor education is on exactly the same footing as a PhD student.

The important thing is to not worry about it. Maybe you'll pass maybe you won't. If you don't apply you'll never know...

Matt