PDA

View Full Version : BA Temp Crew Will Be LHR WW, then..........

speedmarque
10th Jan 2006, 15:46
Official.
The 6 month temp crew being recruited for LHR at the moment will be Worldwide until their 6 months is up.
Unnoficial but strongly rumoured.
After this they will be offered the new LGW mixed flying base.
BA have NEVER laid off temp crew in the past but it looks like they will ship them off to LGW after they have plugged the temporary summer shortage on WW LHR.
Cheers

keeperboy
10th Jan 2006, 16:06
Hey Speedmarque.....

I am one of the cabin crew that also work i recruitment.

It has not been decided that the temps will be placed into LHR WW yet. It is very much a case of 'see where we need the crew most when the courses start'.

Talks have started with BASSA. It has been decided that LHR EF will continue to operate LHR WW flights on the 767 on a 'month by month' basis until the LHR WW shortage has been resolved (ie indefinitely). Last week the number of WW flights operated by LHR EF were increased to include 4 x more weekly TLV flights. It is also being discussed to transfer another WW 767 route to EF in the coming weeks and if this happens it will be likely the temps will go to EF LHR.

As always with BA....................watch this space!! :ok:

Turroncin
10th Jan 2006, 17:51
My sister who works as a loo cleaner in Stansted was doing some overtime in LHR T4 and saw W Walsh in the urinals and he was on his mobile and he was talking about putting all the 6month temps on a special wet lease contract for KLM CITYHOPPER and they will all be doing the Norwich-Leeds shuttle on 777s INDEFINETLY and that's true 'cause hell why can't it be with the rest of the rumours/truth that's posted here!!!!!!
;)

speedmarque
10th Jan 2006, 19:11
Hello Keeperboy,

It was a colleague of yours in recruitment who told me this just this afternoon. Is it not possible that others in the dept are more informed than you, sir?

Be good.

keeperboy
10th Jan 2006, 20:06
I don't know speedmarque, perhaps.

But I know when I was in the office on Monday we were told to tell anyone that called and asked, that the positions were for eurofleet. Then by Tuesday, we were told to tell them we don't know and they will find out on the day. (as discussions had started with BASSA re eurofleet operating more WW flights, thus alleviating the pressure on WW.)

Just sent a text to one of my collegues who is in the recruitment office all week and he has text back to say that they still don't know and probably won't know for a couple weeks yet.

But as you point out, maybe your mate is more informed (and not just one of us seconded part-timers!). You know how ba works, like to keep you in the dark to the last minute!

ChewyTheWookie
10th Jan 2006, 22:35
The gentlemans agreement still stands as it has for years and BA would be very unwise to divert crew straight into WW LHR... They would p*ss off a LOT of people.

crinboy
15th Jan 2006, 12:58
The latest news is that BA DO want to place these temporary crew onto the Worldwide Fleet at LHR. A Trade Union has registered it's displeasure at this decision. So we will wait and see....

speedmarque
15th Jan 2006, 13:39
Aaahhhhhhh! Finally I am right about something. Flew today and all I can say is crew not happy about this at all!!!!

Hand Solo
15th Jan 2006, 13:49
I think its a rather good idea. Long haul needs some new blood and it would be a pleasant change to see people going out downroute instead of sitting in their rooms 'resting' for four days. I don't know who all these p*ssed off people are as everyone who's been in BA more than a couple of years has already had the opportunity to go to long haul.

bigflaps
15th Jan 2006, 15:14
this is avery very BAD idea, and hopefuly bassa and the crew will make ba change thier mind.
it will upset all the people at lgw ww who are not being allowed to xfer at the moment, and all the people at lhr eurofleet on the xfer list. there are people with more than 2 years service on this list who have now decided they want longhaul. in totla there are aprox 800 people on the xfer list.
speaking to fellow crew their are very strong rumours of possible STRIKE action

747B777
15th Jan 2006, 15:44
BA deceides where new entrants go not bassa. Anyway I suspect these new entrants will go to LGW one fleet later this year.

Floaty
15th Jan 2006, 16:05
:mad: I happen to be one of those 800 on the list... :* We'll see...

TopBunk
15th Jan 2006, 16:07
bigflaps

hmmmm, now who exactly do you think will strike over this. Let me see, LHR WW with nice trips on their roster (8000 of the 13000), LGW EF not part of the NSP (1500 of the 13000), well that leaves a possible 4500/13000. Of those probably 2500 are committed LHR SH people and/or on part time contracts. So you are down to 2000 as a maximum. A no win situation imho.

As you say, only 800 on the transfer list, and they will have been in less than 2 years on average - can they afford to strike - I doubt it.

You speak big words but without backup....

Hand Solo
15th Jan 2006, 16:54
How many of the people at LGW WW who are waiting for transfer to LHR WW have been in BA for more than two years? I'd have a guess that a large number of the people at LGW WW are the people who joined on LGW WW. If they can go straight to long haul why shouldn't other new entrants.

keeperboy
15th Jan 2006, 16:57
remember the '97 strike?

it was over BA's announcement of a new contract for those joining after '97.

those who went on strike were on the old contract with nothing what-so-ever to loose thru the introduction of a different contract for new starters. they went on strike on the basis of principle, not selfishness.

Hand Solo
15th Jan 2006, 17:24
They didn't go on strike, they mostly went sick and you got the new contract anyway. Do you think they'll all go on strike over a couple of hundred temp contracts on LHR WW? They already recruit new entrants direct to LGW WW and they have recruited permanent contract crew to LHR WW in the past so the precedent is set.

bigflaps
15th Jan 2006, 20:05
well even if we just went sick and caused a few flights to be cancelled, id be happy that ba then knew how pissed off we were. hit them in the pocket and maybe they will listen.

handsolo - they recruited into lgw ww cause no one wanted to go there, the xfer list and volunter list were cleared.

Hand Solo
15th Jan 2006, 20:21
There were plenty of transfers from ground based staff in Scotland to LGW WW ahead of the transfer list. If crew went sick and caused a few cancellations how would they tell the difference between that and any other day?

Re-Heat
15th Jan 2006, 21:18
well even if we just went sick and caused a few flights to be cancelled, id be happy that ba then knew how pissed off we were. hit them in the pocket and maybe they will listen.
Unofficial strike action is complete contempt for the law, colleagues, the company's owners and of course customers. With any luck anyone whom attempts going sick to engineer any unofficial strike will not only face the dole, but eternal unemployability.

There are ways and means to influence any process be it legally through the union, working to rule, speaking to managers informally. Spinelessly crippling company operations through going sick will lose you any credibility and any sympathy from customers or fellow employee groups.

If you don't want to do the job for which you were hired, I would for example advocate fully to bring on the mass hiring of foreign-based, highly professional and motivated staff in far greater numbers than at current levels to eliminate those whom think they deserve the earth for little or no productivity gains or input.

How on earth do you think it would be at all efficient to retrain EF staff to LHR WW, then to bring them back again at the end of the short period for which this greater number of staff are required? ARE YOU ALL MAD?! BA cannot afford to train you up to longhaul aircraft only to long-term see you only on shorthaul aircraft once the period is up.

bigflaps
15th Jan 2006, 21:37
quote - re heat
I would for example advocate fully to bring on the mass hiring of foreign-based, highly professional and motivated staff

ba has already done this, were over run with foreign employees

Re-Heat
15th Jan 2006, 21:58
Not to the nth degree you aren't

SuperStewardess
16th Jan 2006, 21:05
As an 'outsider' looking in, I really can't believe what a minority of you are saying.. I have to agree with 'hand-solo' on this one, I have a couple of close friends at LHR WorldWide, and I couldn't think of a better way to 'infuse' some new life into an ageing, tired-out dinosaur! It'll certainly put the cat-among-the-pigeons I bet! Going sick to prove a point to your employer, I don't think so.. did the groundstaff get away with not having to swipe-in or out after they went on strike, those changes were inplemented to make a more cost-concious environment & to stop check-in staff from 'swinging the led'.. These similarities can also be applied to what you're suggesting by giong sick, who's respect do you have then? your company looks 'stupid' again with excessive bad publicity for a minority of people who 'thrown there rattle out of the pram' I have to agree with 're-heat' also, it appears that foriegn cabin crew are more motivated & proffessional than the minority at B.A. who thinks the earth revolves around them... Anyway, there is a whole host of very capable & talanted individuals who are ready to step into the B.A. cabin crew mould, and I applaud them wholeheartedly for being keen & actually wanting to do the job & do it well. If sickness goes below a certain level, that doesn't make anyone look good on paper to any future employers, and that may be the case for some who seem hell-bent on 'trying' to hold the company to ransom & tarnish the already tarnished image of YOUR company!

OzzieO
16th Jan 2006, 21:43
As an 'outsider' looking in......................yes quite.

JPSW10
16th Jan 2006, 21:44
bigflaps;

quote - re heat
I would for example advocate fully to bring on the mass hiring of foreign-based, highly professional and motivated staff

ba has already done this, were over run with foreign employees

Gee bigflaps. Welcome to BA. Fly the unfriendly, racist skies. If your a foreign pax you won't get served and if your a foreign member of crew you'll be cleaning the toilets only. I'm sure if you had your way BA would only let caucasian english people on the flights !!! ooops and only caucasian english people clean the planes, load the baggage, check-in pax etc etc etc. Do you wear a white hood when you're working ?

OzzieO
17th Jan 2006, 06:39
God there is a lot of crap written about BA on this thread. How many of you actually work for the airline? I have never read so much bollocks in my whole life.

SuperStewardess
17th Jan 2006, 09:11
OzzieO.. I don't think my post was 'crap' I actually pointed out some very valid points to those in the minority at B.A. who give the company a bad name.. As for being an outsider, I wasn't up until 2000 when I worked both short & long-haul fleets LHR at B.A. & the only reason I left at the time was because my mother died. B.A. were absolutely fantastic towards me & held my job open for 18 months even though I was at home looking after my father. I'm most certainly not a .B.A. basher or indeed an outsider & I will never write 'crap' about them. But I seriously think some of you should 'watch-out' flexibility is the key in any airline & changes are coming, whether you like it or not!

bigflaps
17th Jan 2006, 11:58
yes superstewardess your post was a load of cr*p. young blood can be injected into longhaul lhr but taking people at eurofleet who have done on ly a few months service.
as i WORK for ba i can tell you that it is very hard to work with crew for who english is not their first language.

keeperboy
17th Jan 2006, 12:13
There has been plenty of new blood injected into long-haul over the past year and a half with about 800 crew making the transfer from LHR EF.

Back to the post tho: I think whatever BA will gain by making the temps LHR WW they will lose by loss of morale on EF.

Hand Solo
17th Jan 2006, 12:30
as i WORK for ba i can tell you that it is very hard to work with crew for who english is not their first language.

Presumably that includes you Bigflaps?

There has been plenty of new blood injected into long-haul over the past year and a half with about 800 crew making the transfer from LHR EF.

Ooh, about 8% of the total! Besides, by the time crew have done a couple of years on EF many have already got 'the attitude', including a desire to stay in their room downroute, refusal to extend even the most basic of courtesies on the bus and total lack of any team spirit. Bring on the new blood!

ChewyTheWookie
17th Jan 2006, 12:42

Sorry but that is a total load of CR*P.

In my time at BA I have rarely had a problem communicating with another crew member. The vast majority of foreign crew speak excellent english. Yes, I am occasionally asked to slow down when I speak or explain words or unusual phrases (my background is E. London so some of the slag is confusing!) but that is to be expected.

ChewyTheWookie
17th Jan 2006, 12:45
including a desire to stay in their room downroute, refusal to extend even the most basic of courtesies on the bus and total lack of any team spirit. Bring on the new blood!

Unfortunatly a lot of the current "new blood", myself included, are chosing to stay on EF for the social side of things. If I'm going to be with a miserable unsociable crew I'd rather be on a Stockholm nightstop than thousands of miles away in Sydney...

Da Dog
17th Jan 2006, 12:51
but thats the point chewy, you don't have to sit in your room, if you motivate yourself and others 9 times out of 10 someone will go out with you.:cool:

Just leave the chewbaca suit in your room:ok:

keeperboy
17th Jan 2006, 18:10
Hand....we've been thru this in other threads....

Yes, there are a minority of cabin crew (on both long-haul and short haul) that really have a selfish, miserable attitude (I had one on my last trip). This miserable cow on my last trip was just vile to everyone....passengers, Flight and Cabin crew. But hey, she only makes life harder for herself than anyone else.

But, ON THE WHOLE, we get on very well with each other, and our flight crew collegues.

In fact, on my past three trips, we had combined FC/CC room parties.

Just remember, maybe the BA Flight Decks could do with a little bit of 'fresh blood' (especially in the jumbo cockpits) as much as the cabins could!

And if 800 transferred crew equals 8% what difference are a couple hundred temps gonna make?

flyme69
17th Jan 2006, 22:30
I currently work for virgin as a purser and was thinking of applying for the temp position, but can anyone tell me what the chances are of being kept on?? dont wana leave a permenant position to be told bye bye at the end of 6months. Evan if it meant transfering to lgw or sh lhr.

OzzieO
17th Jan 2006, 22:32
Flyme69 you will be kept on unless you do something really drastically wrong. You may end up at LGW though.

keeperboy
17th Jan 2006, 22:33
flyme you definitely won't be kept on LHR WW. Most likely you would be offered LGW single fleet.

flyme69
17th Jan 2006, 23:30
thanks for that, but seems a bit silly taking on new crew for ww fleet and not doing a conversion for those on the waitlist!! if I am offered lgw at the end of the 6 months will that be L/H ??

twisted-diamonddolly
17th Jan 2006, 23:51
As a new entrant to WW LGW and with 6 long trips firmly under my belt now I have to say that the Gatwick crew are fantastic good fun. Have been to countless room parties and excursions. All the crew have generally got on and all the flight crew have been included. Think this talk of miserable crew and them and us with the flight deck is really exaggerated. :p

keeperboy
17th Jan 2006, 23:59
Flyme LGW short-haul and long-haul are merging into 'LGW Single Fleet' so you would be doing a mix of long and short-haul flying if they offered you a position down there.

Pay, allowences and T & C's will be along the current eurogatwick lines though, not NSP. The T & C's and pay will be considerably lesser than what you will experiance @ LHR WW. Any other q's just pvt. :)

Human Factor
18th Jan 2006, 09:23
Just remember, maybe the BA Flight Decks could do with a little bit of 'fresh blood' (especially in the jumbo cockpits) as much as the cabins could!

Well there's plenty of it. There've been plenty (100+) of new hire First Officers onto the -400 and 777 in the past year.

prat_eegle
18th Jan 2006, 18:12
hello everyone
how much can one expect to earn monthly (in hand) in WW LHR? and EF LHR?
What about LGW (WW, EF, or mixed?)

thanks.
regards

Flying_Sarah747
24th Jan 2006, 21:37
Just been home for a month, so this is the first I've heard of what BA is trying to do!!!!

Thankfully for me, I am the so called 'new-blood' on WW being transferred just over 3 months ago, but my sympathy to those who are still waiting. I know I'd be really dissapointed if I was in your position too, and think it's a bit unfair of the company to recruit straight into WW. I definately agree that whatever they think they'll gain by doing this, they will loose in morale over at EF!

And by the way any EF people who are concerned about transferring to WW because of its bad unsociable reputation, well, don't let that put you off cause it's a load of rubbish. Most trips are more sociable than EF plus you get lots more time wherever you are too. Best thing I've ever done was transfer fleets!

teamilkandone
27th Jan 2006, 22:01
Sarah,
I joined BA not long after you. Am still umming and ahhing whether to go for long haul. How do you find the difference in salary and time at home?