PDA

View Full Version : FAA A&P Expires?

Bitmonx
7th Jan 2006, 18:51
I got an FAA A&P license and the last time I wrenched and signed off A/C was in 2000. Since that I have not done any wrench work at all and I wonder am I legal to work and release an A/C operated under part 91? The A/C involved would be Robinson R22 and R44 Helicopters of which I have quite some experience and have attended both the R22 and R44 factory maintenance course.
If I am not current anymore, what would I have to do to get current again?
Can I release N reg. Robinson Helicopters in a country other than the US back to service?
Thanks for info

gaterbait
8th Jan 2006, 02:34
:)Hi Bitmonx,your A&P never expires,but your Inspection Authority needs to be renewed every year[at least it did the last time I checked].If you are working for a repair station under their license you should not have to worry about it.

Bitmonx
8th Jan 2006, 09:00
I do not hold an IA. So I can go ahead and assemble the Helicopter out of the shipping crate and release it to service? :ok:

aintsaying
8th Jan 2006, 21:31
The fact that you are asking this on a public forum is of some concern.
Whats the rego of the aircraft you intend on certifying? just so I can stay away from it.

Flightmech
9th Jan 2006, 05:29
Your A&P should never expire. However, instead of asking wether you can certify or not on a public forum why don't you just read the FAR's for yourself?? Try starting in FAR65 Subpart D although as an A&P holder you should know this already????

ferrydude
9th Jan 2006, 08:15
Just like FAA pilot certificates, the A&P has no expiration. However, like the pilot certificates, there are currency requirements associated with the A&P. As the others advised, have a look at the relevant paragraphs in FAR 65.

Bitmonx
9th Jan 2006, 10:39
If you guys do not know the answer then don't f..... post something just to make yourself feel better. You guys have just proven that you all have no clue whatsoever :O Gatorbait you are not included:ok:

LME (GOD)
9th Jan 2006, 16:11
You may assemble the airframe/engine but you will need someone with an IA to sign off the paperwork and inspection. You can sign for any N reg as long as you have accomplished the task previously either with another mechanic or under supervison. This is important as you are not authorised to work on a type or complete a task that you have no RECENT experience on. People in this thread are giving you good advise. If you want to avoid a LOI or worse a little bit of research would do you no harm!!!:ok:

Flightmech
12th Jan 2006, 12:30
If you guys do not know the answer then don't f..... post something just to make yourself feel better. You guys have just proven that you all have no clue whatsoever :O Gatorbait you are not included:ok:

Bitmonx, i really couldn't give a :mad: what you think of the rest of us. I told you straight where to find the currency requirements and you comeback like that. maybe if you don't know where to find the info you shouldn't hold the license?

Bitmonx
12th Jan 2006, 13:46
Sorry flightmech.....:ouch: But if you guys wanna help, why don't you guys just paste the relevant text or insert a link into the post? That's what I think is usefull posting!!
I knew that there was a currency requirement to work on A/C type and that was actually what I meant.

It just pissed me off that some guys rag on people instead of giving someone advice. I think if someone makes a post in this forum it should be straight to the point and not not make statements like aintsaying. Maybe he should stick to his name and say nothing.

aintsaying
14th Jan 2006, 17:15
Bitmox.
Why should I go to the current FARs and look up the relevant RECENCY requirements and then paste them on a public forum?
It sounds like to me you don't know how to or even know where to, find the relevant information.
When I did my training I opened my books and I looked for the information myself. I did not have someone open the book and show me where to find it.
Ideal with many operators, I hold several different licences. I am always on the internet looking up the different regulations to make sure I am acting within my limitations.
99% of the Aviation Law regulations world wide require a Licenced Aircraft Engineer/LAME/AME/A&P technician, all to demonstrate a level of proficency on how to find and how to correctly understand regulations in order to do their job correctly and safely.
I'm not going to ask how you obtained a licence, I'm just curious to why you are now asking a basic question on a public forum?

rotormatic
15th Jan 2006, 15:59
§ 65.83 Recent experience requirements.
A certificated mechanic may not exercise the privileges of his certificate and rating unless, within the preceding 24 months—
(a) The Administrator has found that he is able to do that work; or
(b) He has, for at least 6 months—
(1) Served as a mechanic under his certificate and rating;
(2) Technically supervised other mechanics;
(3) Supervised, in an executive capacity, the maintenance or alteration of aircraft; or
(4) Been engaged in any combination of paragraph (b) (1), (2), or (3) of this section.
And here is a site for the rest of the regulations...
http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text/text-idx?&c=ecfr&tpl=/ecfrbrowse/Title14/14tab_02.tpl

chopper-wrench
15th Jan 2006, 20:09
Here you go Mate! :)
http://www.gofir.com/fars/part65/index.htm
Best of luck with those choppers!:ok: