PDA

View Full Version : ETOPS dispatch

PA18
7th Jan 2006, 16:06
Hello guys
In my previous job, an ETOPS dispatch was valid for 36hs. So this was good because if we had to divert to an enroute alternate we would still be able to redispatch without the necessity of an engineering signature release. Here in this new job ( Middle East ) they state that the ETOPS dispatch is valid just for that particular sector and if we end up diverting to an enroute alternate airport with no company engineering available, we will probably get stucked there untill they find a way to send us some kind of help. Of course this is just if we have no other option other than flying again in an ETOPS sector out of this alternate airport to our original destination or wherever..
How is this "regulation" for other airlines? Thanks! PA18

gashcan
7th Jan 2006, 16:33
My lot is as you said - 36 hours and 2 sectors, which covers a split load out of the UK, ie. LGW - MAN - SFB, without duplicating any engineering requirements.

Single sector sounds a bit limiting, but then again how often do you divert, so has any extension ever been necessary?

Wodrick
9th Jan 2006, 00:37
There is obviously some variation in how the rules are applied and in the U.K. it seems to depend on equipment. My (U.K.) company operates with the 36 hour/2 sector clearance for a type originally designed from the outset as an ETOPS aircraft (A330) and with a restriction to single sector dispatch for a different type (B767-300). In our case the CAA have varied that restriction for any 767 route via BFS, therefore LGW - BFS - SFB is allowed ETOPS release in LGW but LGW - GLA - SFB has to have it's release in GLA. In this particular case it's down to engineering support, or rather lack of it !

Superife
13th Jan 2006, 19:54
From an Engineering point of view and in my company the CAA no longer allow the 36hr 2 sector rule. An aircraft dispatching from MAN must have the initial inspection of the Cargo bays certified in the Techlog to state that it's fireworthy as cargo would obscure a detailed visual inspection the next leg for example GLA would require the ETOPS inspection. If the aircraft is then to divert for non technical reason ie medical then it is stated in our manuals that Flight crew can do the ETOPS under engineering supervision persumeably Maintrol... If the divert is due to technical reasons then the ETOP's would be invalidated.

Will stop now as I feel like i'm rambleing

Ttree Ttrimmer
13th Jan 2006, 20:58
With my company we are allowed to operate LGW MAN and then on to the Caribbean without ETOPS check at MAN as it is within our ETOPS 1 hour rule distance of 400nm. Previously we were allowed to redispatch after a diversion assuming the cargo holds were not opened covering the en-route diversion case.