PDA

View Full Version : Better pilot when I was an Instructor.....

Lembrado
5th Jan 2006, 19:42
Happy new year to one and all
Have been thinking recently that my flying skills (stick and rudder) have diminished somewhat now that I'm in the Airlines.
I felt so much sharper when I was an Instructor. Have been flying B757 for about 6 months now. FI for a couple of years previous to that.
Would be interesting to know what others in my position think.
L.

Human Factor
5th Jan 2006, 20:33
Just started instructing on PA28s after a number of years on the big jets. It's sharpened me up no end on both!

Dr Eckener
5th Jan 2006, 22:13
Thats because stick and rudder skills are inversely proportional to salary:}

Say again s l o w l y
5th Jan 2006, 23:39
In that case, just call me Biggles!:ouch:

foxmoth
6th Jan 2006, 09:29
No need to stop instructing just because you are flying the big ones - many of us do a bit in our spare time, though it can be hard to fit in at times.
The other point if you do this is not to instruct for less than the going rate just to get some in - it is not fair on those who have to instruct if you undercut them.:cool:

Human Factor
6th Jan 2006, 13:25
Agreed. Make sure you get paid as a part-time FI. That way, it keeps the playing field level.

FlyingForFun
6th Jan 2006, 18:00
I've always felt that currency is the key to good stick+rudder flying skills.

I noticed when I spent 2 months hour-building that my skills improved beyond recognition, but when I returned home and went back to flying at weekends when the weather was good, my skills soon dropped back down to their original level. When I started my CPL, my skills soon improved again, but once again this was only temporary, and any improvement disappeared soon after I finished the course. Now I fly as an instructor, 5 days a week, and my skills are once again back to their best.

I'm not quite sure how this fits in with your observation that your skills have deteriorated now you are in the airlines. Of course you are current, but what exactly is it that has caused your skills to deteriorate? More auto-pilot and less hands-on time? I doubt it - I don't get much hands-on time as an instructor, my students do most of the flying. I think that fewer landings is most likely the cause, but I don't know for sure. Would you agree, Lembrado?

FFF
-------------

Lembrado
7th Jan 2006, 08:53
FFF

Mixture of reasons. Essentially the emphasis is one of management, rather than raw flying - with long periods spent in the cruise. The maximum use of automation is aslo encouraged.
Winter season plays a part, Low-vis procedures requiring autoland ect..

I would emagine the 757 lends itself more to hand flying, due to being older technology, and a more conventional aeroplane.

In my limited experience of airline flying, the skipper on the day, has a bearing on the amount of hand flying. Some do and some dont.

Im looking forward to instucting on a part-time basis, especially if there is a tailwheel to do it on!

CAT3C AUTOLAND
16th Jan 2006, 14:53
Intersting thread. I do not have the experience of flying large jets, but becoming an FI has certainly made me feel very comfortable flying light aircraft. Also my spacial awareness has improved to a level where I am comfortable flying on top and using the basic radio aids to help me naviagte when doing stalling 'on top' :).

I always love flying with airline pilots renewing SEP ratings, the old nose of the PA28 seems to raised at 30ft for the flare :).

FFF, don't you just love teaching circuits after not doing a landing for 6 weeks :). 'As we can see, we are a little high on the approach :).

Lembrado, you have my dream job, B757/767 fleet, fantasic!! :)

mad_jock
16th Jan 2006, 15:25
Just wait until you do your first night rating of the year and the boss is to tight to let you go up by yourself before hand.

4engines
18th Jan 2006, 08:55
Having been an instructor for about thousand hrs, i am currently flying the Boeing 744, i dont quite agree with the title Better pilot when i was an instructor, unless it means better stick and rudder skills.
As you move to airline flying the set of skills required changes, situational awareness, system management,evaluating and negotiating weather being a few of them.
However i do agree that being an intructor my stick and rudder skill was better.I hope given some more time in the big bird i would be able to do it as well in the 744 too.

GusHoneybun
18th Jan 2006, 15:45
I found that your Stick and Rudder skills are like riding a bike. Once you can pole a 150 around the skys like a complete loon, you may get rusty but you never forget how to. Thats why many ex-instructor airline types like to do the odd day here and there, just to keep their hand in.

You take more with you into the airlines from instructing. There seems little you learn in the airlines that can be applied back to instructing though. IMHO of course.

QNIM
2nd Feb 2006, 22:18
Gday
I thought most people reckon those things on the floor of Cessnas and Pipers were foot rests also they don’t have a stick but a poofy steering wheel, I think what was really meant by stick and rudder was Austers, Tigers and other like aircraft
Cheers Q