PDA

View Full Version : FI rating in the US

johnnypick
4th Jan 2006, 16:48
Can anyone recommend a school in the States that does the JAR FI rating, I only need to 15 hours flying and 30 ground as I have an FAA CFI rating. OFT have been pissing me around for a while and have now let me down.

Cheers

18greens
4th Jan 2006, 18:33
I didn't know you got a discount for a FAA CFI rating. Does it work the other way around?

Sadly I do not know of anywhere that will do the FI rating in the US but with only 15 hours to do why don't you do it in the UK. Surely cheaper than going to the states.

BillieBob
4th Jan 2006, 22:12
After the IFTA debacle, I would guess that there is nobody in the US that the UK CAA would trust to deliver the FI course.

Whopity
5th Jan 2006, 06:37
"I only need to 15 hours flying and 30 ground as I have an FAA CFI rating"

Not quite true, what you mean is that you have to do at least " 15 and 30" There is no credit in JAR-FCL for non JAA FI ratings . As a concession the CAA base their requirements on App 1 to JAR-FCL 1.300 which states: you must have 500 hours of flight time of which 200 shall be as a flight instructor, then it goes on to say:

have completed in accordance with JAR-FCL the approved relevant course of theoretical instruction and flight training. (JAR FCL 1.340) The course may be modified, as approved by the Authority, taking into account the previous training and experience, but shall comprise at least 30 hours of ground instruction and 15 hours flight instruction. http://www.jaa.nl/publications/jars/541268.pdf

So the 15 and 30 is dependant upon your previous experience and the FIC Instructor recomending you for test at that point. It is not guaranteed.

johnnypick
5th Jan 2006, 07:45
Sorry Whopity, silly me, I should have learnt my lesson by now!!!! I need to do a minimum of 15 hours flying and 30 hours ground. I've got 900 hours instruction given, mostly JAR PPL students, so I should be OK.

So back to my original question, which was not about the amount of training I require or whether the CAA trust anybody in the States. Can anyone recommend a school in the States that does the FI course??????? I'd like to go out there in Feb, was going to OFT, but the examiner that was going there end of Feb, is now going end of Jan, nice one OFT!!!!

Whopity
5th Jan 2006, 13:01
There only two others so its Florida or Phoenix, with a resident examiner at both locations.

'I' in the sky
6th Jan 2006, 12:01
BillieBob,

Can you expand on what you meen by IFTA debacle ?

Are you just referring to Fatboy's declaration of his intention to operate out of his back garden or have there been further developments ? Reply by PM if you prefer.

BigGrecian
6th Jan 2006, 19:58
European Flight Training also offer the FI and are co-located with an American school so they'd probably be able to sort something out for you : http://www.flyeft.com Their number is +1 772 466 4757

Safe flying.