PDA

View Full Version : Safety Briefing

Nov71
3rd Jan 2006, 00:49
2 threads on this board have elicited diff responses - deataining pax and off-loading abusive drunks en route.
May I suggest the pax pre-flight safety briefing is given before push-back and all pax are [U]required to pay attention ]- close newspapers/laptops/audio devices as failure to pay attention may result in the offence of endangering the aircraft/pax
In addition to the usual pantomime, the briefing should include airline policy on drunken passengers and disembarkation at diversionary airfields, with the option to disembark before take-off if a pax is not happy with these conditions, provided their statutory rights are not infringed.
Most pax do not read conditions of carriage when booking
I suggest the slight delay would prevent problems en route and provide a better legal position for the airline

lomapaseo
3rd Jan 2006, 00:59
2 threads on this board have elicited diff responses - deataining pax and off-loading abusive drunks en route.
May I suggest the pax pre-flight safety briefing is given before push-back and all pax are [U]required to pay attention ]- close newspapers/laptops/audio devices as failure to pay attention may result in the offence of endangering the aircraft/pax
In addition to the usual pantomime, the briefing should include airline policy on drunken passengers and disembarkation at diversionary airfields, with the option to disembark before take-off if a pax is not happy with these conditions, provided their statutory rights are not infringed.
Most pax do not read conditions of carriage when booking
I suggest the slight delay would prevent problems en route and provide a better legal position for the airline

All the more reason for me to go on reading my newspaper during the reading of my rights

Your name might not be Miranda by any chance?

Nov71
3rd Jan 2006, 01:16
No and ignorance is no defence in Law in the UK

jet vortex
3rd Jan 2006, 02:05

What's the point in that: people who listen to briefings don't usually get into trouble and those who have tendency to make trouble do not as a rule listen to announcements, or read notices. A bit like having notices on buses saying "don't spit on the floor":rolleyes:

Trip Switch
3rd Jan 2006, 02:21
Nov71

....the usual pantomime
I take it you are refering to the passenger safety demonstration that I, as the commander of the aircraft, have a legal obligation to ensure that all passengers are given. 'Pantomime' it is not.

....provided their statutory rights are not infringed.
What statutory rights are you refering to? If I, as the captain, want a passenger disembarked because I feel that he might be disruptive or a disruptive influence (e.g. not agreeing conditions of carriage), then off he/she goes. No question. It's my call and I have the right, and the legal authority, to disembark them (but obviously not to throw them out of the door onto the tarmac. I will at least let the steps/airbridge arrive!)

Trips

jondc9
4th Jan 2006, 00:48
Ignorance of the law in the USA is also NO excuse...unless you are a republican(bombs away...or as they say in the UK...bomb gone)

jon, asking the musical question, "where have all the good times gone?"

PurpleButterfly
13th Jan 2006, 20:56
Pax paying attention to the safety briefing!??! :{

Captain Stable
15th Jan 2006, 15:30
What about offering discounts off duty-free goods (other than alcohol, of course!) for people who can answer all questions on a sheet correctly?

When flying as a passenger, people next to me not paying attention to the brief gets my goat, but none so much as the guy who, on a recent flight, sat during the brief, between me and the emergency exit, reading the paper with his fingers in his ears... :eek: :uhoh: :bored:

tej823
21st Jan 2006, 17:28
Largest part of the problem is the passengers attitude towards this form of transportation...no one listens to a bus driver who tells them to sit and be quiet...and since the pax are paying bus fares, they take a bus riders attitude.

I sit near or at an exit, read the card, count rows to the two nearest doors, listen to the F/A speech and expect I will not need any of it.

You can lead a passenger to the airplane but you can not make him listen...my apologies to the horse.

Confirm Password
24th Jan 2006, 00:37
What statutory rights are you refering to? If I, as the captain, want a passenger disembarked because I feel that he might be disruptive or a disruptive influence (e.g. not agreeing conditions of carriage), then off he/she goes. No question. It's my call and I have the right, and the legal authority, to disembark them.

Trips
Where does your authority come from - any act of parliament in any European country, for example?

JAR-OPS 1 (Part 1) mentions your 'right' but that document was never made into European law.

Pub User
24th Jan 2006, 21:31
How simple life is now that we have the magic of Google:

2005 No. 1970
CIVIL AVIATION
The Air Navigation Order 2005
Made 19th July 2005
Laid before Parliament 29th July 2005
Coming into force 20th August 2005

Authority of commander of an aircraft
77. Every person in an aircraft shall obey all lawful commands which the commander of that aircraft may give for the purpose of securing the safety of the aircraft and of persons or property carried therein, or the safety, efficiency or regularity of air navigation.

Acting in a disruptive manner
78. No person shall while in an aircraft—
(a) use any threatening, abusive or insulting words towards a member of the crew of the aircraft;
(b) behave in a threatening, abusive, insulting or disorderly manner towards a member of the crew of the aircraft; or
(c) intentionally interfere with the performance by a member of the crew of the aircraft of his duties.

Rwy in Sight
25th Jan 2006, 06:30
One think that counted upon is human stupidity and stuborness (sp). People check in their minds when they arrive at an airport. At a trip last October one middle age lady read her book during the safety demonstration and when we taxied out she prayed for a safe flight.

the same went with a similar case as I was explaining to a drama teacher why she should remain seated as long as the engines run (because of the risk of fire etc). SHe said sorry I teach drama and I can't understand the safety issues.

Unless you hand out cash or drink vouchers to attract attention, you can count on people simply ignoring the safety briefing. Does any one know if Southwest with their special humorous style attract more attention from the SLF?

Rwy in Sight

airidentity
27th Jan 2006, 10:47
I certainly agree that passengers consistenly fail to pay attention to briefings(having experienced everything from loud talkers, those who out-right refuse to pay attention and those who would even lie to crew about having read the card at type III exits!).

But with exception of the humour used by a few carriers, how often do you see a safety demo or video that can really capture passenger attention well? If we saw the same ad on TV 50 times, I'm sure most of us would begin to tune out... in some regards the safety demo is no different (at least in the eyes of passengers).

Perhaps the development of safety briefings isn't getting the attention it deserves?

av8boy
28th Jan 2006, 05:47
On carriers with assigned seating I seldom find myself in an exit row, but when flying Southwest (first come, first seat selection), I always arrive early and stake out my place in line so as to grab a seat next to an overwing exit. Then I always do the same thing...

When the seats around me fill up and the preflight briefing is complete, I turn to one or more of my neighbors and quietly say, "Look. I sit here because I know how to work this exit, and apart from the flight attendants, I'm the only one here that I know for certain can open this door if need be. So here's what I need from you. If there's an emergency and we need to get out, I'll open the hatch, but I need you to keep everybody off my back so I can get it open. When it's released, it pops in. I'll throw it back out on the wing when I get it open, but I'll need room to work."

First response is always a laugh, to which I respond, "I'm serious."

I swear, the next thing that happens is always the same... They get this look on their faces like it never occurred to them before that they might actually be responsible for their own survival. Then they always nod and say, "OK." After that, they usually take a look at the card in the seat back and the hatch itself. Often we end up in a conversation about this sort of thing.

I don't engage in this practice to mess with the other SLF. Rather, it's exactly as billed. It's probably a hold-over from my flying days in the air force, but I'm much happier when a plan is shared by those around me. Still, in addition to being something that I think enhances the chances of more of us getting out of a burning airframe, it's also pretty amusing.

On the other hand, I wouldn't be surprised if I caught hell from a FA one day for frightening the other pax. Probably end up on a no-fly list somewhere as well for inciting something or other...

Dave