PDA

View Full Version : Joining AC

expatcdn
2nd Jan 2006, 19:04
Does anyone know if AC will consider someone without post-education but with considerable airline experience with wide-body aircraft experience and international experience. I have met pilots from all over the world, such as pilots from SIA, MAS, guys from Europe and OZ that go through flying school after high school and are flying for their national careers.

FlyinLow
3rd Jan 2006, 06:17
If you have a college Aviation Diploma, that is equivalent to a post-secondary education.

expatcdn
3rd Jan 2006, 14:08
The point is I don't....would any other diploma work. But isn't it funny how some guys from the regionals in thepast flowed through without having a post-secondary and some Jets Go Captains got in as well without any. I heard AC was even calling WJA pilots to see if they wanted an interview.

grippen
4th Jan 2006, 01:11
Sorry to dissapoint, expatcdn, but all JetsGo captains hired by Air Canada had either aviation college diploma, university degree or Air Force experience. Better luck with your guess work next time!;)

Saltaire
4th Jan 2006, 03:04
Current issue is that HR is currently looking for post secondary. I would susspect if you have other solid attributes,such as international and widebody experience that should take you into the interview room. Did it for me 5 years ago and I barely made it out of high school :confused:

LEMD
6th Jan 2006, 13:36
Funny how post secondary education makes one a much more capable pilot.

Almost 9000 with 6000 on 747-400, 300 and 200's and still can't get so much as an interview! Good thing staying employed... albeit OUTSIDE CANADA hasn't been an issue.

Just another expat Canadian paying taxes to someone else's government....:hmm:

FFP
6th Jan 2006, 13:50
How are AC with recruiting non nationals ?

Landed immigrant status not a problem, but just wondered if many Brits have gone that way and are currently employed there ?

Do AC enjoy the usual airline relationship with ex military guys ?:ok:

Dockjock
6th Jan 2006, 20:43
AC won't need to entertain hiring non nationals as are there are currently in the range of about 15,000 ATPL's in Canada with Air Canada employing around 3,100 of them.

brucelee
6th Jan 2006, 23:36
Anyone who is a citizen of Canada or has landed immigrant status can apply. We have many pilots who have come from the Commonwealth with military experience.

FFP
7th Jan 2006, 08:48
Thanks BruceLee, that's good news.

No need to be so defensive about the jobs in AC Dockjock. Are you implying that's there is some sort of "Canadians first" policy ? If it makes you feel better, my wife's Canadian and I'm paying taxes in Canada on my house there, so I'm contributing to the country.

Plenty of jet jobs in the UK, relatively low hour requirements if you want them

CanAV8R
7th Jan 2006, 10:11
If you have the right to live and work in Canada regardless of your birth place etc, you can be employed at any company. I know a few guys from the UK in the process of going west. As ex RAF types, with degrees and high levels of experience AC will want to look at them at some point.

It goes both ways as Canadian guys come to England.

Anyone thats got a problem with this should keep it to themselves as it could be harmfull to your career.

;)

Dockjock
7th Jan 2006, 17:41
It wasn't defensive, it was just a fact. Landed immigrants can apply, as stated on the company's website.
I mistook the question as employing expats ie. non citizens, non immigrants, which is the route taken by companies with not enough nationals to fill positions. You can verify the other requirements on the website.