PDA

View Full Version : Big Head!

Craggenmore
2nd Jan 2006, 08:12
Due to compatibility problems my 3 year old US purchased 7000 series Peltor headphones must be replaced (too many complaints from too many people and too many aircraft!!)

For some other reason, all headphones look unusually huge on my head. Only the Telex Echelons and Denali's look flush :confused:

I've done a search and Bose X seem to be the most highly rated. If I could afford them, then Im sure I would buy a set.

What do You all use or would recommend me for instructional use? My budget only really goes to £200 :{

Cheers,

Craggs

Dude~
2nd Jan 2006, 14:20
£180 gets you a pair of David Clarke 10-13.4s from Transair which are very popular. I've just upgraed form Telex ecehelon myself and am very happy. Nice and comfy with good gel seals.

Do a search though as you will find the same question has been much discussed already.

3 Point
5th Jan 2006, 16:13
I'd look at buying an ANR set; I use a lightweight pair from Pilot, about £240 I think. The ANR really is worth the extra.

Happy landings

3 Point

mad_jock
5th Jan 2006, 16:28
I would suggest you get a pair of ANR's as well. Its well worth it in the long run. Don't try a DIY kit from the US because they are crap when the bat goes. All the foam needs to be taken out to fit the electronics in.

You could try and get your flying school to put them through the books then you won't have to pay tax or VAT on them. Then get them to dock your pay before tax of the none vat amount. That will reduce the real cost of them by nearly 50%.

Either that or find someone going to the US, you can pick up a pair of ANR DC's for 300 quid. Get them delivered to the Hotel the persons staying at. The warranty is good in the UK as well.

BTW its better to look daft in a cockpit than suffer tinitus and hearing loss.

MJ

Craggenmore
5th Jan 2006, 16:39
Thanks for the replies. I agree about looking silly over hearing problems later on.

Does anyone know why I have so many compatibility issues with the 7000 Peltors?

Also, if I import a set of ANR headphones from the US, will I have to pay anything else to customs or the Tax man?

Cheers....

Craggs

mad_jock
5th Jan 2006, 17:15
yes you will unless you get someone to de-box them for you and send them over marked as a present.

Unless you have someone going over to pick them up for you the post and packing, running the risk of getting customs involved isn't worth it.

I used to have peltors as well and they were a swine for being noisy with anything other than another pair of peltors.

try getting your pay docked if your on PAYE it will save the company money as well in employers contributions.

MJ

18greens
5th Jan 2006, 18:36
The compatibiltiy issue has been covered before. Something to do with microphone impedance differences. Do a search when it comes back.

Regarding Peltors I had a pair and loved them. If found they were compatible with any headset except a DC. But since every instrutcor I flew with used DCs they always blamed the peltor.

I gave up in the end and bought a set of DC 13.4ANRs which are excellent.

Meeb
6th Jan 2006, 11:15
With regard to the buying from the USA, you will not usually have to pay import duty. Customs and excise are not interested in the 'little man'. Another way is to get the outfit in the states to mark the customs form that enclosed is a 'sample'.

CaptYanknBank
4th Feb 2006, 22:55
Craggs,

I used DC H10 13.4's for years whilst training thru PPL/CPL etc they were excellent and are still going 10 years later, only ever replaced the foam mouth-piece mike cover. I now instruct and use DC ANR headsets and wouldn't fly without them they did cost GBP450ish (Ouch :{ ) but are worth their weight in gold if you're a regular flyer doing 4-6 hours a day in SEP spam cans. No ringing ears...!!! :ok:

Ref tax/duty etc, don't know much about how it works but I ordered a watch from a US dealer and had to give a cheque to the postman when he delivered it for tax/duty etc.

Someone I know has some Lightspeed (I think that's the correct name) ANR headsets and they work well and are a lot less the the DC's.

Go in to a pilot shop and just try the ANR's on and turn them on/off a few times and see the difference.:D

Cheers,

CY&B

Just noticed this thread is a month old, Duh....ahh well, it is 2350hrs.....

markflyer6580
5th Feb 2006, 11:25
There is a set of sennheiser 25ka's on ebay at the mo for £250 buy it now-I have some and they are great since I suffer the same problems with getting a decent fit.:ok: