PDA

View Full Version : Easy on the Eye - feedback

Few Cloudy
1st Jan 2006, 18:31
Very smart Danny. Thanks for all the efforts and happy new year.:)
FC

PS I get a wrong date read out at present

Oshkosh George
2nd Jan 2006, 15:55
I had to look in my crystal ball to decide what the :mad: he was on about. Then I twigged it was the new forum look. It would be nice if I didn't have to use any brain cells though. I'm undecided,I keep thinking I'm on the wrong forum!

brownstar
2nd Jan 2006, 16:39
nice colour scheme

I thought that the older system of having the name of the poster at the side and in smaller font made for easier reading.

just a small suggestion!

armada
2nd Jan 2006, 17:41
I like the fact that you can have the site Remember your user name or login if needed. Best not to check this while on a
"public" computer e.g. while at work. :}

tired
2nd Jan 2006, 17:53
Afraid I think the older layout was much easier to use. But maybe it's just me - RTC factor, and all that! :)

Ripline
2nd Jan 2006, 17:59
Well, I like it! The WSYWIG editor is much nicer to use, although the addition of a spelling checker would cut down on bandwidth, especially in JB Forum!:ok:

Cargo Cult
2nd Jan 2006, 18:19
Not sure about the functionality, as I haven't really used anything much yet, but the appearance is no improvement at all.

The displayed default font size is MUCH TOO BIG! If it's possible to alter it, I haven't yet spotted how.

There didn't seem to much wrong with the preceding user interface of PPRUNE imho - and I speak as someone who has spent more than a decade testing software for a living.

First reaction?

"My First Bulletin Board"

fyrefli
2nd Jan 2006, 19:42
The displayed default font size is MUCH TOO BIG! If it's possible to alter it, I haven't yet spotted how.

Well, if you're using a standards-compliant browser, try holding one of the Ctrl keys and then hitting - (or + for the short-sighted). Hey presto, everything's proportionally smaller (or bigger).

You can't please all of the people all of the time but fortunately, in this case, they can please themselves :)

Cheers,

Rich.

Human Factor
2nd Jan 2006, 21:16
Not bad. I suppose we'll get used to the format. However, I seem to be getting an awful lot of this......

The page cannot be displayed
The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web site might be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to adjust your browser settings.

etc....

Ripline
2nd Jan 2006, 21:48
Right, so what is "Rep Power" and why is everybody "off the scale"?
Love the "Onlin" indicators, BTW:ok:

Ripline

armada
2nd Jan 2006, 21:55
Click on your user name, try to add a sig and you get:

"vBulletin Message
Sorry, the administrator has disabled signatures."

:{

Norman Stanley Fletcher
3rd Jan 2006, 00:30
I think it is an improvement overall but there is a glitch when you click on a user name. It offers you the opportunity to search for all posts by a particular individual but then says they have 'no matches' or something similar. I am not sure what the deal is but clearly it would be desirable to search for lists of posts by a particular individual and this facility does not appear to be working.

tester
3rd Jan 2006, 00:39
Still doing a lot of testing and debugging. We thought it would be better that you at least can use the forums to read and post. Featurs such as search will be fixed or brought on-line as and when we have time.

however, please continue to post about what you think may be right or wrong. We do read the replies but cannot always respond immediately. Too much work going on in thebacjground.

Danny

gofer
3rd Jan 2006, 11:06
Hi Danny & all,

Happy New Year, and many many thanks for the present Danny, we all really do appreciate the tremendous time, effort and organizational talent that goes into PPRuNe.

As with anything new - it takes a few minutes (hours) to assimilate all the new and different things. Still don't find it as intuitive as the old, but that is just inflexible grey matter. This editor is way better - highlight and format is great.

Wraparound didn't always work in the past - I haven't found anywhere where it doesn't so far on this new edition, so that is a plus and this Quick reply is just 2 million % better than before, so that alone gets an overall thumbs up.

Not yet sure whether the "Instant e-Mail notification should be the default - think probably not as I suspect it will overload the system unnecessarily - just a suggestion.

Ripline - spell checker is now there try to reply to something with the Quick editor and then flip to the advanced editor (great feature) and then look in the top right for the abctick. Download did not kick off automatically (but manual also works), but that is just a detail....

Norman pointed out the strange navigation when you try looking up a "person" via their ID.

Have a good year out there, and thanks Danny, you are a real trouper. Gofer :ok:

lomapaseo
3rd Jan 2006, 11:19
The name bar clear across the page at the top of each reply is a distraction to speed reading the real meat of the forum which is the reply text.

I much prefer that the posters details be miniatureized off to the left hand corner. so as to let the real reading material stand out in an unborken field down the full height of my screen.

EI-CFC
3rd Jan 2006, 11:31
To be honest, I much prefer this more standard vBulletin layout than the old one. I probably would look better with the user name and info to the left of the posts, rather than on top though.

Wodka
3rd Jan 2006, 11:58
Yep agree, poster details on the left as before would be much easier on the eye, esp when reading a long series of posts.

If vBulletin is anything like Php BB then the whole interface can be custom designed to get away from the 'my first board' look but I know this is a lot of work!!

Keep up the good work guys :D

Farrell
3rd Jan 2006, 11:58
Great job Danny

Light blue tint is nice and easy to look at, especially after an hour or so of Ppruning!

Thanks to you and whoever else was involved in working on this over the New Year whilst some of us on JB were probably face down in some unknown sidestreet in Winnipeg, or Oxford....

Cheers and have a great 2006

Farrell

+'ve ROC
3rd Jan 2006, 15:49
but where have the 'hot topics' gone?

I agree that avatars etc were better on the LHS but the removal of the large PPRUNE logos on the header make it easier to 'stealth-prune'

I did like my 'hot topics' though.

:confused:

767bill
3rd Jan 2006, 21:09
The old set up was easier to use, this is too much in your face, well that's my opinion

AEUSkinner
3rd Jan 2006, 21:39
It all looks very nice but it doesn't seem to be working very well, it comes up with a lot of error messages and 'the administrator has disabled this function'

10002level
3rd Jan 2006, 21:59
I like the new style, but the search function does not appear to be working - try a quick search for something you know is on the board and no results come back.

mini
4th Jan 2006, 00:16
I don't like the current format, too much blurb (user data, coloured borders, etc to actual information. This is (IMHO) an information driven forum and the style layout should reflect that... It was far easier to read in its previous guise.

stagger
4th Jan 2006, 00:28
I agree with mini

Threads are less readable with the new format.

With usernames, personal titles and user info appearing above each post, instead of to the side, this breaks up threads and makes it more difficult to follow a discussion.

With all this stuff off to the side you could glance at it when necessary - but now you have to wade through it as you scan down a thread.

frstep
4th Jan 2006, 08:30
I totally agree with the comments about too much eye candy getting in the way of information. The new software is very good - way better than the average forum out there, but if something could be done about increasing the infomation vs graphics ratio, that would be good. The space taken up with buttons, title bars, usernames etc is way more than the previous, and for readability of blocks of text it is well kinown that narrow columns work better, so the layout of previous system was easier to read.

F.

Mushroom_2
4th Jan 2006, 08:31
I also agree with the above comments. I find the blue too bright and the personal info across the top breaks up the thread.

This is an example of a forum thread using (I think) the same software.

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=125195

I find that much easier to read.
Just my thoughts.

Flap 5
4th Jan 2006, 08:41
I agree with these comments. It is much harder to follow a discussion with the headers getting in the way of the flow.

Looooong haul
4th Jan 2006, 09:08
Can we make the data about a post much smaller? I seem to be scrolling more than reading.....

Funny enough when writing a reply and scrolling down the format is much better.

:8

jet2impress
4th Jan 2006, 09:11
I agree, the layout of the photography-on-the net web site is so much more easy on the eye.

Also, what going on with the search funtion? I still can't get it to work.

Jet2Impress!

Norman Stanley Fletcher
4th Jan 2006, 09:18
Help! My private e-mail address is being infested with e-mails from PPRUNE telling me about every single reply that has appeared since my original reply - despite the e-mails saying I will not hear anything again! How do I stop this happening? Thanks in advance!

Flight Detent
4th Jan 2006, 09:24
I agree the older format was easier on the eye, and easier to use!

That aside, I really can put up with anything that works.

My BIG comment is that I am personally aware of quite a few Professional Flight Engineers whom regularly use these forums and provide considerable input from time to time - my problem lies with the title of this Rumour & News....."lives as professional pilots" should read ...."lives as professional aviators" would seem more appropriate, I think!

How say you all?

Cheers, FD:ok:

fat'n'grey
4th Jan 2006, 09:58
Looks good! Though I do miss just being able to log on and see the list of the latest issues/headlines/posts down the right hand side of the screen.

Oh dear!!

SLFguy
4th Jan 2006, 12:28
So many comments - so few personal titles....:rolleyes:

enicalyth
4th Jan 2006, 12:34
Airbus colours. Airbus software bugs...

Incoming!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Avman
4th Jan 2006, 16:22
In order to be objective I've given it a few days to see how I adapt to it. So far, not very well. I find it too much "in your face" and not friendly to the eyes (well mine anyway).

Globaliser
4th Jan 2006, 16:42
Help! My private e-mail address is being infested with e-mails from PPRUNE telling me about every single reply that has appeared since my original reply - despite the e-mails saying I will not hear anything again! How do I stop this happening? Thanks in advance!
Go to your User CP (http://www.pprune.org/forums/usercp.php).
Go to List Subscriptions (in the list on the left hand side of the page).
In the list that appears, check the boxes at the right of the row of each thread whose subscription you want to delete.
In the drop-down menu immediately after the list of threads, go to Delete Subscription.
Then click the Go button.
Do as many times as necessary to unsubscribe from each thread that you don't want e-mails about.

LatviaCalling
4th Jan 2006, 17:31
Looking good, but it is difficult for me to figure out when some posts were posted. Like why "yesterday" and "today" instead of the actual date and time of the post?

woodpecker
4th Jan 2006, 17:51
Sorry to say for me the old style worked, but this one doesn't.

fyrefli
4th Jan 2006, 19:45
Looking good, but it is difficult for me to figure out when some posts were posted. Like why "yesterday" and "today" instead of the actual date and time of the post?

Agreed.

Also agree with apparent consensus on putting the user info on the LHS, so the gap between posts is smaller, making threads *much* easier to follow.

I'm a web interface designer and programmer of ten years' standing, FWIW ;)

Cheers,

Rich.

tiggerific_69
4th Jan 2006, 22:37
Much easier on the eye,definitely more user friendly,since the layout has changed i have been logging onto pprune more often,a great improvement.well done,and happy new year!

PPRuNe Towers
4th Jan 2006, 23:20
Tweaking continues and will do for some time.

Reading flow should be better as of a couple of minutes ago.

Rob

bafanguy
5th Jan 2006, 00:18
What is this rating of "Rep Power:X" that is posted with a person's name ?

Norman Stanley Fletcher
5th Jan 2006, 02:45
Globaliser - many thanks for your help. Pleased to announce it is all sorted!

Regarding talk of a name change - I think you will find that the whole purpose of this board is to bring 'professional pilots' together. The fact that flight engineers, ground technicians, air traffic controllers etc all use it does not change the core client group that PPRUNE was set up to cater for. Due to the excellent quality of what is on offer here, many other aviation professionals have been drawn here and their contributions are obviously most welcome. The bottom line is, however, that this is fundamentally for professional pilots as it's title suggests.

atakacs
5th Jan 2006, 04:53
My biggest complaint is certainly the font size.

I obviously know about the browser specific settings but the problem is that the relative sizes of the fonts are inadequate: reducing the main listing fonts to something acceptable makes everything else unreadable (i.e. too small) !

Is a per user setting supported ?

CMN
5th Jan 2006, 07:53
... is still not working.... :{

???pax
5th Jan 2006, 08:35
Much better now that the user details are to the left of the message.

Good work :)

gofer
5th Jan 2006, 09:07
The rep power thing is probably a moderator tool - and its gone anyway.

This is better still thanks PPRuNe Towers and all...

scroggs
5th Jan 2006, 10:12
My biggest complaint is certainly the font size.
I obviously know about the browser specific settings but the problem is that the relative sizes of the fonts are inadequate: reducing the main listing fonts to something acceptable makes everything else unreadable (i.e. too small) !
Is a per user setting supported ?

I don't see a problem - and I don't see many others complaining either, so it may be something with your browser setup, especially if you are using a very high-resolution monitor or an unusual browser. Have a check in your browser settings. I'm using Opera, and the text size is no different to how it was on the previous iteration of Ppune - and, having checked, that's true for IE6 as well.

I've had a quick look on vBulletin's own user board and can't find anything similar to your problem, so it may be on your own setup. There is no way for an individual user to set relative text sizes through the User CP. That I've found, anyway!

Scroggs

fyrefli
5th Jan 2006, 14:29
Credit due: that is *so* much better with the poster details on the left.

Nice one.

Point taken - I realised you would almost certainly know yourself but many people don't realise they can do it without even moving their hands from the keyboard and/or scroll wheel, so I tend to point it out where appropriate.

Obviously you could also, in Firefox, hack the CSS in the Web Dev Extension :)

If the main font *is* bigger than it used to be, it seems to me to only be fractionally. Ah, sorry, you're referring to the listings, not the posts, in which case I kind of see what you mean.

Cheers,

Rich.

EI-CFC
5th Jan 2006, 15:02
Getting better every time!!

Arkroyal
5th Jan 2006, 15:42
The tweeking is working.

Only concerned now that 'search' doesn't work

diginagain
5th Jan 2006, 16:03
Arkroyal, try using the Advanced option - worked fine for me.

(Well it did an hour ago - still being tweaked perhaps?)

cub71
5th Jan 2006, 20:11
Am I the only one that are unable to perform a search on pprune?

Localiser Green
5th Jan 2006, 20:14
I believe it is not working at the moment.

Just use google, but after your search string put "site:pprune.org".

For example search for: bmi baby site:pprune.org

Works a treat.

Edit to say those smily things should be a colon, followed by the first 'p' of pprune.

Few Cloudy
5th Jan 2006, 20:40
Flight Detent and N S Fletcher,

As a professional pilot, who has flown both aircraft with flight engineers and ones without, I count the flight engineers as very professional cockpit members.

While it is over the top to expect PPRuNe to change its headings at this late stage, I am sure that the majority of us welcome the FEs as sterling fellows and natural contributors to this forum, so please feel included in the generic term.

FC.

Cardinal
5th Jan 2006, 20:54
It appears this software auto-fills in the "Title" field at the beginning of each post - that Re: line at the top of each post (except mine). Repetitive, redundant information like this interferes a bit with the speed reading most of us practice. And I can't recall any other vBulletin board where that switch is turned "on."

Otherwise, it's a good move, and a great look!

ou Trek dronkie
5th Jan 2006, 21:54
It's good

oTd

gofer
6th Jan 2006, 09:02
Suggestions:

IMHO To get even greater use of that scree real estate perhaps all the info "Joined...etc." could be placed in the light blue area left aligned on the line with the Quote icon.

Also the text of the ad for a personal title could be shortened especially as the No. of posts is on the info line - think that "click here for a personal title" would do fine...

Being able to jump to buddy's on the buddy list was useful - shame its gone

Cheers, Gofer

Speedpig
6th Jan 2006, 13:49
I LIKE IT:ok:
Just wish I could access it from home.:{
Have tried following Danny's idiot guide for those of us having problems but still can't get past page one.
Have had to change nothing on several work PCs.

jetfour
6th Jan 2006, 16:09
Works for me!

Well worth the effort.

"Onward and upward"

ou Trek dronkie
7th Jan 2006, 09:10
Spell check - I definately agree

oTd

Arkroyal
8th Jan 2006, 11:09
The search facility being fixed is my major wish!!

For spelling check, simply compose your stuff in word, then cut and paste it.

ou Trek dronkie
8th Jan 2006, 11:18
Your quiet rite off cours.

:D :D :D

oTd

fantom
8th Jan 2006, 11:22
"Can we make the spell-chequer compulsory to stop infuriating errors"

is this the ultimate irony?

:sad:

ou Trek dronkie
8th Jan 2006, 12:08
Mike - Gloreiyous !:D :D

oTd

Oshkosh George
8th Jan 2006, 15:30
"Can we make the spell-chequer compulsory to stop infuriating errors"
is this the ultimate irony?
:sad:

You spelt Phantom incorrectly;)

fantom
8th Jan 2006, 15:44
well, you try registering "Phantom" on pprune.

anyway, I used to phly them when I was young so poo to yoo. :8

westhawk
9th Jan 2006, 07:20
This problem with logging in seems to be intermittent in nature for me. It is a bit inconvenient. :sad: I hope you will be inclined toward fixing the problem at your end if possible. Sometimes I can visit several threads without being required to log in again. Sometimes the server forgets my login right away. I do not believe there is any problem with my browser and I have never had any such trouble before your upgrade. Nor have I had any trouble at any other sites I visit. Therefore, I am hesitant to make any changes to my settings which may affect the functionality or security of my computer. I am not an advanced computer user and as a consequence, am not equipped to enter into a debate on technical computer issues.:confused: I do hope that the problem with your software is resolved soon so that I may continue to enjoy my visits to this site.

Otherwise, I am pleased by the new appearance of the site and find the functionality of the features I use to be exemplary. Please keep up the good work.:ok:

Best regards,

Westhawk

Sector 7G
9th Jan 2006, 13:30
Preferred the old layout. Is it just a forum now? Where's all the old info re interviews etc that was not part of the forum?

Trislander
9th Jan 2006, 19:57
Could any of the mods comment on when it is likely to be reinstated??

Not the same without it!

T :* =

armada
9th Jan 2006, 23:31
Send money now.

:hmm:

"
Trislander

Over 250 posts so far. Perhaps I should click here and order a Personal Title"

Danny
10th Jan 2006, 00:51
Will fix as and when time permits. It is on the to do list.

glekichi
10th Jan 2006, 03:55
Looks good, and for me, the logon problem has gone the other way. Pprune used to always forget me in a day or two, no such problem anymore!

ou Trek dronkie
10th Jan 2006, 08:48
Well, I've waited a bit, but the search function doesn't work for me any more.

oTd

stagn8
11th Jan 2006, 01:17
I wasn't sure at first because the gaps between the topics grew but now I have got used to it I prefer it. I am especially impressed with the topic description/content boxes that appear when the mouse is placed on the topic subject line. Excellent work, thanks

N380UA
11th Jan 2006, 07:46
Talking of personal title; I've tried for some time now to get one but the system wont let me pay for it - hence no title. Is that problem server based or locally i.e. firewall? Can someone help me out here?

Few Cloudy
11th Jan 2006, 09:35
Hi N38OUA,

Do you want to borrow my credit card?

Greetings, FC.:)

AirScrew
11th Jan 2006, 09:56
Danny and team,

this is a great job.

The layout is clean.
The screen ergonomics are pretty good.
The colours are good and balanced.
Within the limits of a web-app, the functionality is improved and good.

Most important is that the performance, judged only by my perception, is certainly no worse, and not an issue.

For your next update, maybe check-out the new, and inexpensive, thin-rich client (or RIA) technology.

Good job all round.
Keep up the good work.

Bzulu
11th Jan 2006, 11:03
Please feel free to move this to wherever as I could not find an appropriate forum to post.

Just wanted to extend a big thank you to the owners of PPRUNES for the new format. Much easier to navigate and the "new posts" options provides the opportunity to surf through many messages on many different forums that I've never taken the time to visit before.

Way to go!

Thanks.

PS.........is the "invisible" option still available? Can't seem to find it anywhere in the User CP.

N380UA
11th Jan 2006, 11:46
Hi FC

Thanks but I think I'm not maxed out just yet. The problem must be elsewhere. But you can buy me a beer with your card anytime, same place.
Cheers
N380UA

spagiola
11th Jan 2006, 13:24
Overall a big improvement.
But my own biggest pet peeve remains: Could we please have the 'next page' buttons at bottom right be BIGGER? They're a little better than in the previous version, where they were truly microscopic, but hitting still requires un-necessarily precise mouse navigation. Fitt's Law (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fitts'_law) says the smaller the target, the longer it takes to acquire it. This is a very important lesson of human interface design (eg see this site (http://www.asktog.com/basics/firstPrinciples.html#fitts's%20law)).

Arkroyal
11th Jan 2006, 17:59
Is it just I who can no longer search threads by user name?

westhawk
11th Jan 2006, 22:27
It seems that I have found a satisfactory way to ensure that I do not have to sign in each time I return to the main page after browsing a thread! By ensuring that I check the little "remember me" box upon signing in, the server remembers me until the next time I clear the cookies from IE.

Best,

Westhawk

gofer
12th Jan 2006, 10:12
Is it just I who can no longer search threads by user name?
No, having same challenge - but as Danny has time I'm sure he will get to it - he has a day job as well. Jumping from favourites to a persons last mails is also on the list I hope....
Great result though... Thanks. Gofer;)

Fly747
13th Jan 2006, 14:27
Don't know if it's been mentioned but pprune now looks just like the internationalsexguide. Good info for places you've not been before!

ou Trek dronkie
13th Jan 2006, 16:42
"Is it just I who can no longer search threads by user name?"

No.

oTd

Arkroyal
13th Jan 2006, 16:59
Fixed!

Thanks the Prune team for a great facelift, and particularly for listening to, and acting on our requests.

Any of you fancy management positions in a certain loco?

Human Factor
13th Jan 2006, 17:43
I've not looked at this thread since I posted on page 1. Overall, I prefer this new site. Except I still keep getting the following every couple of pages and then being unable to get in again (via XP and IE6), despite following the instructions regarding cookies (email sent to Admin):

The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web site might be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to adjust your browser settings.

etc....

Annoying as an annoying thing.

Globaliser
14th Jan 2006, 11:21
I have a recurring problem of being logged out while browsing, without asking for it. It doesn't matter too much as checking the "remember me" box means that I just pick up the previous session when I log back in. But it does mess up the function that takes you directly to your last unread post, and means that I either have to scroll up and down the page to look for where I left off, or go back to the forum page to request the page again.

BusyB1
16th Jan 2006, 16:56
I agree its easy on the eye but I wonder how many other readers have been totally cut off from responding to, or generating, topics. My only recourse was to reregister under another name but of course you then lose any personal title you may have paid for.

Human Factor
17th Jan 2006, 19:44

etc....

Still doing it. What's the problem????:confused:

Radar Identified
17th Jan 2006, 19:45
Quite similar to www.askaboutmoney.com wonder is it a common setup