PDA

View Full Version : B737 Refresher Training

Julius Ceasar
1st Jan 2006, 13:55
This may seem like an obvious question to some, but I would like everyones advice on this. I completed a B737-300/900 Type rating two years ago, but for circumstances beyond my control I had to get out of the business. I had just started line training and that was it. Now i'm in a position to return but need to get back up to speed.

My problem is I dont know where to begin or have any sort of a study pattern. I have all the ops and training manuals, web site links to 737 org etc. and the usual Bill Bulfer guides. What I would like is to know where to begin. The reason why I am asking on the "Tech" page is I believe there to be more TRI/TRE pilots on this forum than on the "Questions" forum.

Another subject of study I would like to brush up on is my ATPLs, been many years since I sat them, any advice on how and what to mix in with my 737 work? So if anybody can point me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it. Please feel free to PM me or post a reply here.

Many Thanks and Happy New Year To All.

JC:)

80/20
1st Jan 2006, 20:08
Focus on pracitcal stuff - ask someone at your airline or training center for primary need to know items. Basically this should include FCOM VOL 1 NP, relevant FCTM sections and last but not least QRH Flight Patterns or equivalent company specific manual sections. PM me with company detals if you wish.

Sky_Captain
2nd Jan 2006, 04:17
I'd agree with 80/20, stick to the practical stuff, don't get bogged down going into too much detail with technical schematics. The Ops manual is a priority for the aircraft followed up with the FCTM and QRH.

Don't know how much this will help you, but i'm sure others will be able to give you better advice than I.

Good Luck :ok:

Julius Ceasar
4th Jan 2006, 14:09
80/20 & SC Thank you for your responces. I will take your advise and limit my initial studies to the ops manual, FCTM and QRH, there should be plenty in there to keep me busy.

Just wanted to know if there is any pattern of study you guys would follow eg. ops manual part 1 with limitations or go a different route :uhoh:

Thanks again

80/20
4th Jan 2006, 14:48
Suggested pattern for FSS preparation:
1) FCOM Normal Procedures (focus on learning scanflows)
2) Normal Checklist (from company or generic Boeing in QRH)
3) QRH Flight patterns (supplement by reading FCTM)
4) QRH non-normal procedures/flight patterns (supplemented by FCTM)

Keep it simple – it's like trying to drink from a fire hose – you can not swallow all so the challenge is know what's most important to get through the sim.

Systems depends on what nation you are in. (How theoretical?)
Use any study guides or CBTs tailored to written tests if applicable. Use FCOM volume 2 controls and indicator section to prepare for practical oral (typical FAA)

Loose rivets
4th Jan 2006, 19:24
The Law.

I came from an era when we made the law up as we went along, but when I found myself reentering the aviation world after a long break, the law was really the single thing that had changed most.

Oh, sure, in the old days there were laws, but they consisted of things like, how may lights on a balloon-string and stuff like that. The serious stuff evolves, and it would be a good move to seek out a publication or two that simplified modern regs without being weighed down with a full company ops manual, or a given country's air navigation order.

Current pilots recommendations?

Make very sure that you get clued-up on take off alternates/weather etc. No use doing a perfect SID on one engine, in a nicely tidied-up airplane...if you shouldn't be in the air. Find out what mean tricks guys are being hit with in the SIM these days.

Now there is a forum title. "Examiner's Bumper Book of Nasties for the Unwary."

80/20
4th Jan 2006, 19:44
I agree 100% with loose rivets- must refresh basics - Boeing FCOM & FCTM are written under the assumption that you have basic prerequisite knowledge ATPL/previous experience and so on, if needed this must also be reviewed but think practical. Think phase of flight - preflight planning, before takeoff and so on.

Julius Ceasar
4th Jan 2006, 20:36
point taken loose rivets, i'm up to speed on everything JAR with mine being a JAR
issued. It's really me not feeling up to speed on the aircraft and it systems more than anything else.

80/20, Checklists, there's one I forgot about, thanks for the mention. I'm thinking of starting from the ops manual first using the questions associated in b737 org website, before moving on to maybe checklists and then the QRH like you said.

All this help is appreciated guys, keep it coming if you can.