PDA

View Full Version : Question for Thames controllers

G SXTY
30th Dec 2005, 17:57
I drive the mighty C152, and often pass the QE2 bridge at up to 2,400’, just outside the eastern end of your zone. Some of my club’s aircraft are mode A only, and a few don’t have a transponder at all.

I’m remaining in class G airspace at all times, but - assuming I’m not squawking mode C - would you find a courtesy call useful, just to confirm who I am and what altitude I’m at (particularly if you have traffic inbound to EGLC, who might get a TCAS TA from me).

Or, given the level of traffic trundling up and down past the bridge, would I just be blocking up your frequency for no real benefit? (Apart from practising my RT ;) )

ATCO Two
30th Dec 2005, 19:37
Hi GSXTY,

There is no real need to call Thames Radar, as long as you remain in Class G airspace. Use your transponder if you have one, and listen out on the frequency for situational awareness. A courtesy call is fine, but if it sounds busy, then it is best not to call us.

G SXTY
31st Dec 2005, 09:04
Thanks ATCO 2 - that's pretty much what I thought, but I wanted to get it from the horse's mouth, just in case.

Happy New Year! :ok:

Talkdownman
31st Dec 2005, 11:12
I actually agree with our esteemed 'ATCO Two'.

Remain outside CAS, that means laterally AND vertically, and squawk A7000 with ALT if possible.
No need to call but if you really, really need a 'hand' to hold when close to the LC CTR then call, keeping transmissions to a minimum. LTCC frequencies are not the places to 'practise RTF'. Remember, even if the RT does not appear busy that the controller is likely to be busy on other channels. For instance, a considerable amount of communication takes place on landlines, and air transport flights will operate in the area of responsibility without actually calling on the RT. Please also remember that Thames Radar is not a LARS unit and is not thus equipped. The availability of Thames Radar is specified in the UK AIP under entries for London City and Biggin Hill airports. The adjacent LARS units are Southend and Farnborough. Flights outside CAS which plan to pass close to the Biggin Hill ATZ and the 21 IAPs should, in the interests of good airmanship, contact Biggin Approach in the first instance for FIS.