PDA

View Full Version : Man is not Lost

Bernoulli
28th Dec 2005, 20:44
I'm nearing the end of a recently aquired book called 'Man Is Not Lost' by a chap called Dickie Richardson. During the early stages of WW2 he was given the job of pulling lots of disparate threads together to produce a manual of air navigation. This volume came into the world as Air Publication AP1234.

Day to day I wander round Europe with navigation largely taken care of for me by triple IRS and dual FMCs. I really don't have to think about navigation that much, at least not in the en route stage. This book has fired me up a bit and I'd like to re-visit some of the fundamentals that underpin my professional life.

So my question is this... does anybody know where I can gat a copy of AP1234, preferably one of its earlier incarnations? (I'm assuming that like most live service documents it will have been subject to constant revision).

Failing that, can anyone recommend any suitable texts. Nothing too cerebral please... my education juddered to a halt with A'Levels in 1980 and it's been downhill ever since.

Thanks and all the best to you all in 2006.

Bernoulli

5milesbaby
28th Dec 2005, 22:40
I stuck AP 1234 (make sure you use the space :D ) into Google Search and found this here (http://www.rin.org.uk/bfora/systems/xmlviewer/default.asp?arg=DS_RIN_ABOUTART_19/_list.xsl/29) which although does not answer what you are looking for, may at least give you a few more clues to get there :ok:

Erebus
29th Dec 2005, 00:25
I don't recall AP 1234, but do remember using the three volumes of AP 3270 "sight reduction tables."
These three books gave one suitable celestial bodies to use for astro-navigation, according to one's latitude. The cover featured a small picture of a man using a cross-staff to measure the altitude of a star, with the motto "Man Is Not Lost" underneath.
When searching for such a book, I'd make Foyle's in London my first choice.

barit1
29th Dec 2005, 01:42
Here (http://air-navigation.rhytis.com/) is an online source. Best of luck!

Loose rivets
29th Dec 2005, 04:19
Ohhh, that book. It struck horror into my heart when I first got my (very tatty ) copy.

I picked up a book called something like.... ‘Astronomy before the telescope.' A wondrous piece of work that leaves the modern navigator awe inspired.

A while back, Scottish radar put me heading towards a danger area. He said turn right ten. I had me spot on ten miles from the edge. I said to my colleague, "I'm sure his screen mask is wrong, get a bearing and DME from xxx VOR." He sat there for a full 30 seconds, then said. "I suppose I'd better get myself one of those protractory things."

I often wished that I could make him disappear, but if I had been thus empowered, I would have sent him to the middle of the north sea--at night–listening to the Stavanger Consul.

supermunk
29th Dec 2005, 16:18
I think that AP1234 had a re-incarnation and emerged as AP3456 The Royal Air Force Manual of Flying. There are about 10 volumes and Volume G is the one on Air Navigation. Hope that this helps.
As an afterthought possibly a post on the Military forum might get a result.

mcdhu
29th Dec 2005, 19:25
Wasn't the original manual of flying the AP129?

Cheers,
mcdhu

enicalyth
30th Dec 2005, 06:36
Failing a purchase try RAF Museum Dept of Research and Information Services aka DORIS. Not only will they have copies back to the year dot but also errata and amendments.

For some excellent formulae still in print is Admiralty Manual of Navigation, the single volume red bible from HMSO if there is such a thing anymore. Disregard any formulae that equate sin 1' with 1' and just use 1' as is! It's a throwback to the days of logarithms and not necessary with modern calculators.

Spherical trigonometry is fun!

Bernoulli
30th Dec 2005, 21:38
Thanks for the pointers chaps. I remember a mate of mine doing night astro out of Fininngly (Doncaster Robin Hood International javascript:smilie(':yuk:')) in a Dominie on what was known as the south west route. During the long leg from Cromer down to the Scillies he had a go at his first 'cocked hat'. The first line went down the North Sea, the second along the English Channel and the third ran from Cornwall to Northumberland. He announced to the crew that they were over Coventry and had to alter course 30 degrees left! That cost him a few beers.

That was straight and level at FL350 breathing oxygen. I can only begin to imagine how early seafarers managed it tossing about in a small ship (fnarr fnarr). Respect due.

"Ekaton Smhnoz"

Bernoulli