PDA

View Full Version : Too old to apply to NATS again?

VRB03KT CAVOK
27th Dec 2005, 21:56
I unfortunately failed my interviews to join NATS and received the (stock?) e-mail to re-apply in 12 months.

The trouble is that I was already 'too old' the first time I applied and wondering what will happen if I apply again when I'm 31 years old.

In the next twelve months I'm planning on converting an Australian CPL to a UK PPL and getting involved on the radio at a local aerodrome.

NATS' policy of not giving any feedback following an interview really doesn't help when trying to plan re-applying.

Any ideas or success stories from similar aged applicants?

SilentHandover
28th Dec 2005, 15:28
There is now no upper age limit for anyone with an extenisve aviation background is the official line. So what have you got to lose by applying again.

CAP493
1st Jan 2006, 09:02
...and after April this year (2006) the EU Directive on Age Discrimination takes effect and is also subsumed into UK law, therefore it becomes illegal to select or to debar anyone on the basis of their age.

Given the increasing demographic problem throughout Europe (and to a similar extent in N America) of an aged working population moving into retirement, any such articfically-imposed barrier is clearly stupid and could be counter-productive.

However, one should be realistic and accept that for ATC as with some other professions, age is going to be am impediment to learning and coping at some point: but I doubt that 31 years is it...

Apply again and good luck!!

:ok: