PDA

View Full Version : Short Wings on Supersonic A/C

Macgyver
26th Dec 2005, 17:40
Hey guys,

I read somewhere the following exert:

" There is no aerodynamic advantage (as there is in subsonic flight) to having long wings, and there are also structural as well as aerodynamic advantages in keeping the wings short."

Why is this? Why can we seemingly ignore induced drag for high speed flight?

Thanks in advance!

barit1
26th Dec 2005, 18:35
Induced drag's not ignored; it's optimized around just like any other aircraft.

But optimizing the wing aerodynamically AND structurally at such high speed takes you through parametric studies that drive you to a broader chord and shorter span. That provides internal volume to stow undercarriage and a prodigious gallonage of fuel.

rigpiggy
27th Dec 2005, 05:53
4Think F104

barit1
27th Dec 2005, 12:43
I was talking airplanes, not missiles.

:8

chornedsnorkack
27th Dec 2005, 12:56
I think it has to do with wingtip vortex.

In subsonic flight, some of the air underneath the wing escapes around the tip of the wing to create the wingtip vortex. This means loss of lift, though. Therefore, a long but thin and narrow wing is efficient compared to short but thick and wide wing - the ratio of lift to induced drag is better.

Whereas in supersonic flight, the air compressed under the wing cannot escape sideways around the wingtip - not enough time. Therefore a short and wide wing is not less efficient than long and narrow one.

John Farley
28th Dec 2005, 11:07
Macgyver

The induced drag component of total drag reduces as speed increases so is very low at high speed, hence a low aspect ratio is fine for high speed - although it can cause very high drag at low speeds.

On the sketch below line B shows how induced drag varies with speed, line A shows the profile drag and line C the total drag

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/johnfarley/Drag.jpg