PDA

View Full Version : B737-800 Winglets

MilesDavis
23rd Dec 2005, 12:44
student pilot here just a quick question

Was reading about new winglets on FR's fleet, why would the addition of winglets impose a reduction in x-wind limitation by a couple of knots?

thanks

Empty Cruise
23rd Dec 2005, 22:25
More vertical area, thus higher directional stability, thus more rudder required (for same airspeed) to straighten aircraft before impact.

Beech 1900C vs. D have same effect. Raising the cabin to standing height reduced the demonstrated crosswind from 25 to 22 kts.

...I...eeerrr...think :O

Brgds fm
Empty

Mad (Flt) Scientist
24th Dec 2005, 19:04
Is it a "limitation" or a "demonstration"?

Often, even though it's in the "Limitations" section of the AFM a manufacturer will simply state the highest demonstrated crosswind, if they couldn't find the limiting conditions for controllability. If so in this case, it might just be a function of what winds they could find on a given day.

Empty Cruise
24th Dec 2005, 19:59
...or they may have obtained permission from the certifying body (FAA) to calculate the new, reduced "limit" based on the original set of wind data.

I refuse to believe that Boeing would put an effective limit to the warrenty of their aircraft just because they ran out of wind (or time). The increased directional stability can easily be calculated, so I'm not convinced that a new physical demonstration would be required - but ready to stand corrected :)

Empty