PDA

View Full Version : 'Politically correct' RT

Roobarb
20th Dec 2005, 20:57
Much todo about nothing at Big as the focus shifts to chaps being a bit too chummy on the RT. Chief Sheikh shorthaul is appalled at Nigel's RT, and a debate has started in the sixth form common room as to whether we need more starched shirts and rods up backsides.

Tell me, in this increasingly frenetic maelstrom of high density aluminium pumping, have we lost the ability to share a witty aside? Would you prefer we spoke in legal tongues and CAP 54 cut and paste.

Wither professionals and fellow craftsmen in jestful banter?

Merry Xmas. (If that's alright with you boss.)

http://www.tvradiobits.co.uk/eightieszone/Roobarb1.jpg

I'll take on the opposition anyday. It's my management I can't beat!

Gonzo
20th Dec 2005, 21:38
We don't have a problem with banter, certainly not, it's the missing and/or wrong readbacks that we're concerned about.

CAP 514 cut and paste plus the witty banter would be great! :ok:

niknak
20th Dec 2005, 22:37
With experience, you get a "feeling in the water" as to whether it's appropriate to engage in a bit of banter - who the airline/crew are, what sort of flight it is, are they under post take off pressue etc.

When I'm training Atco's, I have a zero tolerance of the trainee engaging in banter, that can come later when they know what's what.
But otherwise, pleasantries and sharp responses are welcome when appropriate so long as they follow the "stand up, speak up, shut up" phrase book.

Jetstream Rider
20th Dec 2005, 22:58
I saw Chief Sheikh shorthaul's words and I feel they were perhaps a little condescending (and actually inaccurate in his third point too!).

However, I do think there is some naff RT about and it would help if we could brush up a bit. Somethings in particular. The CAA are keen on this at the mo too.

However, we must have room for a bit of being human and saying hello and goodbye is only polite.

Things like "request taxi for take off" and "runway clear" I think are bad. As is "got it!" for a frequency change instead of a readback.

However, saying hello to Director is hardly a big sin. Neither is a bit of well timed banter!

madbadrob
22nd Dec 2005, 00:59
Hmmm I wonder what you guys would make of a pilot ATC transmission last week from DSA then. It went something like
ATC :" Do you intend to land or just do a go around sir"
Pilot: Touch and go please
ATC: You are cleared for a touch and go for runway 20.......
Pilot: This will add to your wine bill
ATC: What do you mean
Pilot: The amount of these I have done recently will make for a few bottles of wine at xmas for you
ATC: If only

Well it had those of us on scanners rolling about the floor and to be fair why not have a little humour on the airwaves occasionally so long as it isn't interfering with other traffic

Rob

Lock n' Load
22nd Dec 2005, 03:42
Madbadrob, only two things wrong with that RT exchange as far as I can see.

1. The pilot should have said "add to your wine consumption", since gifted wine hardly adds to the bill.

2. The controller called the pilot "sir". Very bad form. Should be the other way round. :E

Lon More
22nd Dec 2005, 11:59
The controller called the pilot "sir". Very bad form. Should be the other way round
I agree; plus a pilot should say it as if he means it:D
When a Controller says it , it is spelt "cur":O

madbadrob
22nd Dec 2005, 13:47
Why is the controller calling the pilot Sir bad form? We hear it all the time around here. Respect from both parties makes for a great working relationship. Not being a controller though I don't know what etiquette is involved

Rob

tonup
22nd Dec 2005, 15:31
Why is calling a pilot sir bad form?
Some years ago I was involved in an incident, not my fault, following which the tapes were pulled and transcribed. The only negative comment about my performance was a minor b****cking from the regulator for calling a pilot sir on the RT. :confused:

Gonzo
22nd Dec 2005, 19:33
Madbadrob, it's called banter :ok:

Lock n' Load
22nd Dec 2005, 20:51
Hence the :E evil grin

Lon More
22nd Dec 2005, 21:54
Tonup Something similar. The only Airprox of my career was between NEW and TLA back in 1972 when a BA11 was just missed by a fighter which was unknown to me. More was made of the fact that I pressed the Tx switch about 3 seconds too soon and a heart felt "sh1t" was heard on the freq. than of the actual incident.