PDA

View Full Version : Boeing 737-800/900 wake turbulence category

D-OCHO
19th Dec 2005, 21:29
Ok,
I'am flying the Dash-8 for a company in Europe.
Like everybody knows this is a medium (wake turbulence) category airplane.
Now did we get about a year or two ago a writing from our company that behind a B737-800/900 (which is also medium category)we had to keep a wake tubulence seperation of a heavy aircraft. This because an ATR had an wake turbulence encounter behind a 737-800. This means a wake turbulence delay on takeoff from 2 minutes. My company said they came with the writing because of a message from I think Eurocontrol. I tried to find anything on the internet about it but I can not find anything.
Who knows where to find something official about this??

IShotTheSherif
20th Dec 2005, 09:09
Having controlled in an ICAO state where there were numerous B738's operating - we never received from our regulator/CAA/ICAO any documents/instructions requiring us to provide more separation behind a B738.

We also had DH8C's operating there, and they together with the B738's were both treated as Medium wake turbulence category aircraft...

I honestly do not know about the B739's...

Eva San
20th Dec 2005, 10:45
To my knowledge there is no such written rule for Boeings 737/800 or 900, at least in France and from a controller's point of view.

The only thing I know about the B757, which is considered as medium when following and heavy when ahead (again in France as I recall they have some sort of intermediate heavy definition in the Uk).

But anyway, I've had quite a few pilots on ATRs to ask for 2 minutes delays when departing after B737/800 or A321. I asked one why and he answered that it was company rule. That's about it.

D-OCHO
20th Dec 2005, 23:31
Ok,
thank you for your kind answers.
Will look further.

By the way this is the writing we had from our company.

Dated beginning of 2003:
Recently , pilots flying on ATR-72 and similar aircraft experienced moderate
wake turbulence at take-off following a 737-800. As from a flight safety
perspective, the 737-800 must be considered as 'heavy' instead of 'medium',
until further inquiries are made. In addition, at take-off the crew must
request ATC to provide sufficient separation, considering the 737-800 as a
'Heavy' aircraft.