PDA

View Full Version : Straight-in to Gatwick 26

Three Blades
19th Dec 2005, 13:23
I notice that the noise preferential routings chart (link below)suggests that the nearest to a direct 26 inbound route follows DVR R273.
Can anybody tell me whether a extended centre line route (to at least the edge of this chart) is used with any regularity ?
(I am looking at buying a house there.)
Thanks

http://www.ais.org.uk/aes/pubs/aip/pdf/aerodromes/32KK0301.PDF

261A
19th Dec 2005, 13:39
The link doesn't work for a start

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
19th Dec 2005, 13:54
But all of the traffic will be radar controlled anyway.......

Three Blades
19th Dec 2005, 13:56
The link is from the UK AIP website where you need to be registered (free).
Step by step access is:
1) www.ais.org.uk
2) log-in or register
3) Publications
4) AIP
5) Aerodromes - Specific
6) London Gatwick
7) Noise Pref Routing Chart

BOAC
19th Dec 2005, 15:16
3B - what you are looking at is the SID chart, and the 273 DVR is the Dover SID track off 08R.

A 'straight-in' is not abnormal, but also not common except at quiet traffic times, and you can assume that most of the s/in traffic will be at idle for the arrival, so pretty quiet. If there is a 'common' straight-in track I would hazard a guess it 'normally' joins the centreline at about 15 miles or even further out.

ukatco_535
20th Dec 2005, 09:38
Short answer

Draw an extended centreline/approach line on runway 26.

Find TANET and draw a line from TANET bearing roughly 235 degrees (I say roughly because how to achieve the straight in is not is not a laid down procedure)

The two lines will intercept. You now have as good an estimate as you will ever get for a straight in to runway 26.

Bear in mind it is done by the area bods not approach, so the bearing to intercept the localiser may change if they tactically want to force the inbound ac on a different track due to traffic reasons (i.e. push it harder south initially so they can climb a Stansted DVR outbound behind it)

Yes - it is usually done in quiet times, but they may still be busy with heathrow/city inobunds etc as well as outbounds. I would not put off buying a house I really liked due to the straight in track - it is too variable.

Warped Factor
20th Dec 2005, 12:53
Contact the BAA at Gatwick, or perhaps the local council that Gatwick falls under, and they should be able to provide you with a map similar to this one for Heathrow showing the tracks taken by landing aircraft.

An average day at Gatwick would have a few straight in approaches and so they should show up on the map.

From the BAA website, try Aircraft Noise Tel 0800 393 070 (UK only) [email protected] as a first point of contact.

WF.

http://www.habu.freeserve.co.uk/images/radarplot.jpg

Three Blades
21st Dec 2005, 08:18
Many thanks for your answers.
Interesting chart Warped Factor. I shall see if I can get one for Gatwick.
Happy Christmas everybody
TB