PDA

View Full Version : Aircraft excursion off 23R EDDL?

Bearcat
16th Dec 2005, 16:17
what happened this morning re an aircraft excursion off 23R at EDDL. Airport closed for 20mins.

the_flying_cop
17th Dec 2005, 09:37
it would appear that there was an excursion off 23r at eddl. as a result the airport was closed for about 20 minutes.

merry christmas

Avman
20th Dec 2005, 19:00
Perhaps this was it? Copied from a recent posting also on this forum:

THY skidded off RWY at Dusseldorf

DUSSELDORF - A Boeing-737 passenger plane of Turkish Airlines (THY) skidded off the runway and slid into security zone at Dusseldorf Airport yesterday.
Sources said that a THY plane which was on a flight from Istanbul could not stop after it landed at Dusseldorf, and slid 100 meters into security zone at the end of the runway.

Nobody was injured, added sources.

The plane was hauled to apron, and it was still not known what caused the plane to slid.

Published: 12/19/2005

http://www.turkishpress.com/news.asp?id=91421

PAXboy
20th Dec 2005, 19:59
The plane was hauled to apron, and it was still not known what caused the plane to slid[e]. Loss of friction?

merry christmas

--------------------
"I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you any different." Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.

Bearcat
20th Dec 2005, 21:59
A squal line passing thru and torrential rain I think were a factor.

the_hawk
20th Dec 2005, 22:14
supposed to be directly from the pilot:

gusty winds & heavy rain during landing, a xwind gust blew the plane near the right rwy edge

furthermore a rumour goes a tailwind gust was responsible for landing late, but still doesn't explain why the 8858 ft rwy was to short for the 37

Bearcat
21st Dec 2005, 07:58
23R is a very slippery runway and further it dips away from you in the flare encouraging a deep landing. How do I know? been there many times and was there the morning this incident happened. None of us knew what went on...airport closed...we all waited around...then they released us 40 mins later. Didnt even know it was a turkish machine. When we went to taxi for 23L aircraft had been towed already away.

we also encounterd bad turbulence over the hedge due proximity of trees.....next time winds are from the north i am requesting 23L as it wont be as shear laden.

Midland 331
22nd Dec 2005, 11:58
Sounds a bit like 14/32 at Leeds....

A couple of Midland Viscounts went for a wander there...

BusyB
22nd Dec 2005, 13:25
Midland 331,
I don't know about Viscounts 14/32 was fine for them (28 was more interesting) but I have a vague recollection of a Midland DC9 wandering off. Please correct me if I'm mistaken.

timmcat
22nd Dec 2005, 14:26
Bit of thread drift going on here, but... Leeds excursion (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=175302)

Midland 331
22nd Dec 2005, 14:38
Yes, maybe we are wandering..

Two Viscounts off 32 in the early 'eighties.

- One that got dismantled at Leeds (G-AZLT?) and became G-BMAT after a major rebuild at EMA. (Does my bum look big in this anorak?)

- Another which (with pax), according to a crew I jumpseated with, ( a reliable source?) got "hushed up".

This was pre the extension at the 14 end, so 32 was "short-short". I have no figures.

Timmcat - thanks for the link - I was not aware of the recent incident. Not the first. Sadly, probably not the last.