PDA

View Full Version : lump on chest

yaeger-miser
14th Dec 2005, 13:22
Hey guys, I wont be able to see a doc for awhile yet but anybody ever have the following. A lump found slap bang in the centre of my chest , the part which is quite hard and then follow the line down towards where it softens towards my stomach then all of a sudden a grape sized lump. when I keep prodding at it, it becomes a little sore. I've read of some cases of lymph nodes been temporarily swollen or some muscle strain but any suggestions on this.?????????????? slighlty worried as always with things like this.

Irishwingz
14th Dec 2005, 13:47
I've got one that sounds the exact same actually. I've had it since I was 21 (30 now). its not got bigger but it used to get real sore some years back when i'd eat lots of cheese:rolleyes: Its not so much a problem now - the pain I mean.

i went to a gastroenteroligist who had a few prods and asked me some questions. He told me to lay off the cheese and not worry about the lump. i thought he was going to have to stick one of those camera scopes down my gob to look at it.

I was nervous it was an ulcer or maybe even cancerous, hence I got it checked out.

So there you go - £80 for a referral and he says dont eat cheese.:p

Hope that helps

thefunky1
14th Dec 2005, 14:41
Hey,

I have a similar lump (age 22) and have had it checked previously. Apparently, in my case at least, it's a piece of cartilidge which loosely connects the ribcage. I apparently mananged to disconnect mine (playing rugby, fool) and it's never quite healed properly. Hurts quite badly sometimes but can be avoided by making sure i sit with good posture - plenty of swimming apparenlty helps as it builds up back and chest strength and gives a better posture.

That said - if in doubt, get checked out - never hurt anyone!

Hope that helps.

got caught
15th Dec 2005, 13:32
It sounds like nothing too worrying.

Get it checked out by your doc, I expect that he/she will be able to offer you instant re-assurance.

brain fade
15th Dec 2005, 13:39
I had a lump on my left tit (I am male). Thought I'd got breast cancer or something. Got it checked, Doc said they see a lot of then and mostly never discover what the cause is. Was harmless anyway.

Mac the Knife
15th Dec 2005, 15:03
yaeger-miser, that lump is your xiphisternum (or xiphoid, or xiphoid process) - everyone's got one, some a bit more prominent than others (like ears)

<joke>Its a small triangular piece of cartilage that anchors a ligament connected to your ass - if you remove it, your ass falls off...</joke>

-------------------
"Bother," said Pooh as he struggled with /etc/sendmail.cf, "it never does quite what I want. I wish Christopher Robin was here."