PDA

View Full Version : speed card

stancioiu
12th Dec 2005, 09:53
Hallo!
At our compay we use a speed booklet for MD80 for setting takeoff and landing speeds. My qustion is if V1 speed is correct since the corrections are to be aplied only for tempereature and altitude deviations. Why it isn't any correction for runway length since in the takeoff performance graphs you always enter the runway length?

mutt
12th Dec 2005, 17:08
The runway dictates the weight, the weight dictates the speeds. You will therefore have the same speeds for a given weight regardless of the runway length.

You booklet should provide you with weights/speeds and correction factors.

Mutt

CarltonBrowne the FO
12th Dec 2005, 23:18
We had a similar speed booklet (recently replaced with the same information on a single card). Once we have calculated a V1 and Vr for aircraft weight, we then have to check the performance manual for the particular runway, temperature, surface conditions, wind and anti-ice status to see if V1 is reduced below this figure.
Could your company be reducing your MTOW deliberately to give a bigger safety margin? The despatchers could be figuring a Max V1 for conditions on the day, then using this max V1 as the basis for limiting TOW.
Please note: the above is only my guess.

stancioiu
13th Dec 2005, 08:23
CarltonBrowne i think your technique is the correct one. Once you have a weight and other conditions you have to check first in the Performance Manual and after that to compare V1 resulted with V1 from speed card.
Thanks for all replyes!
Brgds!