PDA

View Full Version : Age before able to instruct PPL/IR/ME?

Danny_manchester
10th Dec 2005, 11:18
Hi, is it possible to get an instructor rating after each qualification, eg after obtaining a PPL, can i get a rating which would allow me to teach PPL's?

After PPL and MEL, would i be able to get a MEI rating?

Or would one have to be the holder of a valid CPL/IR? If so, i believe the age is 18 years to hold a CPL/IR, after the FI ratings, could i instruct in the UK?

thanks people, sorry if its here, but i cannot find anything on this.

cadaha
10th Dec 2005, 15:20
You can start the Instructor Course as a PPL and get a FI rating but you need 200 hours (of which 150 must be PIC) to start the course.

You cannot get paid for teaching as a PPL you would need to be a CPL. Minimum age is 18. :ok:

It's all in LASORS

Charlie Zulu
11th Dec 2005, 07:06
Don't forget though that to start the FI(R) course you need a PPL and 200 hours in addition to the JAA CPL or ATPL theoreticaly exams passed. You will not be able to get paid as a PPL/FI(R) (at any level of instructing).

So, as long as you pass the class one medical, you might as well do the JAA CPL skills test as well. This will enable you to be paid to instruct.

To obtain further instructor ratings, you will need to take the restriction off your FI rating. This involves signing a certain number of students out on solo flights, minimum number of instructional hours, etc.

Then you will need to attend a course for each rating you'd like to add to your FI rating. This includes Multi Engine Instructor, Aerobatic Instruction, Applid Instrument instructor.

BEagle
11th Dec 2005, 07:15
All those expensive and time consuming courses would not, of course, give you any guarantee of securing employment as a flying instructor.

You can instruct for remuneration on a NPPL with Microlight Rating or SLMG rating.