PDA

View Full Version : FCO - 90 Deg Operations

5711N0205W
8th Dec 2005, 18:15
Had some time to kill in FCO today so found a pleasant spot to watch the exotic plumage of the Italian airlines staff at work......

I was slightly surprised to see parallel landing going on on the 2 x 16 runways with departures operating from 25. The end of 25 intersects 16R so most things were well airborne by the time they cross 16. It was obvious that there was plenty of spacing between the landing 16R and departures on 25.

This arrangement is nicely illustrated here;

Google Satellite Image (http://maps.google.com/maps?q=rome,+italy&ll=41.815082,12.245636&spn=0.078152,0.118884&t=k&hl=en)

Why do this, better utilisation? The taxy time to 25 would seem to be much shorter than either of the 16 ops and obviously the ability to use 3 runways would be a big advantage.

I guess also this will also only work in quite low wind conditions otherwise crosswind components will force changes.

Is there anywhere else that operates in a similar manner?

chevvron
8th Dec 2005, 20:15
You poor guy, haven't you ever heard of Newark?

5711N0205W
8th Dec 2005, 21:28
Nope, stayed away from the lower 48 until now, however I just googled it and see what you're alluding to. Incursions and collisions in a similar type of environment.

From comments about Newark incidents Pilots don't like this type of operation, is this true of operating in and out of FCO?

NigelOnDraft
9th Dec 2005, 02:31
I guess also this will also only work in quite low wind conditions otherwise crosswind components will force changes. The wind has nothing to do with the RWs in use at FCO. It is always 16 for Ldg and 25 for Deps... I have seen a windsock there, but I think it is mechanical, and controlled from the tower :)

The various 16 L / C / Taxiways over there are primarily used for landing to deconflict from 25... 16R tends to be on request for parking to the W... e.g. BA (me!)... which if you ask nicely, tend to get more often than not. You are supposed to keep the speed on past 25...

NoD

PS Don't take this post with 100% accuracy, just get the gist :)

PPS They even provide separate \"wind reports\" for 16 and 25 to ensure they are \"suitable\"