PDA

View Full Version : To the dash drivers....

DHC8-FO
7th Dec 2005, 13:57
Just curious, if after disengaging the autopilot, you have had the roll control not let go and stay engaged, but the pitch mode let's go, ending up feeling like a roll jam? Had this happen once, figured it was a roll jam, proceded with the items, checklist, etc. A few minutes later the roll "mysteriously" came back to us, indicating it could not have been a true mechanical jam. Same scenario happend a few weeks after this one, odd. The word from the top seems to think it was the AP not letting go? Anyone?

Mtc.
8th Dec 2005, 14:50
Happened twice? Same airplane?

I have never seen the A/P "not" disengage, or even portions of...on the Dash, but it is a Dash !!!!

I would be much more inclined to look at icing more than a mechanical issue...Usually more of an issue on the tail, but you never know....

Either way, "write er up", get a number and have a great day....

sepia
11th Dec 2005, 03:35
While not on a dash-8, i've had this exact problem before. What I've found is that it is actually the auto pilot roll servo not "letting go". When this has happened I've found that a very abrubt medium deflection input to either left or right will kick the roll control back to the yoke. You'll clearly feel the 'kick' free. If you're quick to counter correct this won't upset the folks in the back. If this happens to you again try it.

DHC8-FO
12th Dec 2005, 03:41
its interesting that you mention that because what we were told was that the autopilot roll servo probably did not release when the disconnect button was pushed. of course mx cant/wont find anything, so theyll just sign the logbook "could not duplicate ops checked normal" and its back in service until the next crew i almost wish they would have found a wrench left up in the wing at least we would have had an actual problem that could have been fixed for some reason my punctuation keys are not working so im having to space this stuff?