PDA

View Full Version : Contracts / written agreements...

Dude~
6th Dec 2005, 19:07
Do instructors tend to get a written contract of any sort? It seems a bit odd to be offered a job without any written agreement. It would also be a bit odd to have a contract when you are only going to get paid hourly with no retainer.

Just wondering what to expect really - trying to sort out my first instructor position so I'd be interested to hear what others have experienced.

FlyingForFun
6th Dec 2005, 21:33
None of the 3 schools I've worked for so far, whether full-time or part-time, have given me any kind of written contract.

The closest I came was a letter from my current employer "To whom it may concern" confirming that he had offered me a job and that my pay was dependant on the number of hours I worked but was likely to be in the region of £xxx/month. That was only because I explained to my employer that I needed a letter like this to be able to rent accomodation in the area, which was an obvious pre-requisite to me accepting the job.

FFF
--------------

Genghis the Engineer
6th Dec 2005, 21:37
I suggest taking a look at the very informative website of a friendly firm of solicitors at http://www.macdonaldhenderson.co.uk/employmentlaw.html

(I would have cut and pasted the good bits, but infringing the copyright of a firm of solicitors strikes me as a bad idea).

G