PDA

View Full Version : Accomodation at CATC?

littlemiss
6th Dec 2005, 13:54
Just wondering if anyone can give me any help please.
I'm due to be starting at CATC in a few weeks but just wondered what previous people thought/did about accomodation?

I got information suggesting B&B was better because there is no contract but I'm not sure living in a B&B for 6-12 months would be that good for studying etc.

Most letting places I have looked at say they do a 6 month let and then a rolling 1 month contract after that.
I know we may be sent away for various training purposes but I got the impression that was later on than 6 months into the course.

What do previous CATC bods recommend? Cheers.

foghorn
6th Dec 2005, 15:31
Some folks live in a B&B throughout the course.

Some folks B&B for a bit and then rent a house - sometimes with other TATCs

Some folks rent from the start - often those with girlfriends/boyfriends/wives/husbands/families moving with them.

The problem with renting as you realise is that you might suddenly find yourself sent away to hold mid-course at a unit away from Bournemouth and therefore suddenly not be needing the accommodation on which you are paying rent. This can be virtually at any point in the course (although with the new course structure, three months and six months in look like strong bets if it's gonna happen). It is, however, less common these days since the death of OJT. On top of that there is always the possibility that you might be chopped during your lease.

It's worth thinking about before committing. There are some, however, for whom B&B is simply not an option - those just have to bite the bullet and rent.

I'm not joking sir
6th Dec 2005, 22:38
Another factor to consider is whether or not you want to spend 100% of your time down there immersed in ATC. I shared with two non ATCers for the seven months I was at the college and it was nice to have a break from talking about work every now and again. Bournemouth isn't that big a place so you're never going to be far away from the other guys on your course. It was also really nice to feel that you were going back home to your own place.

If you do look to rent, Westbourne is really nice.

tired-flyboy
7th Dec 2005, 07:34
Hi there,

One other - thing that you must consider is that if you are sent away from the college (BA Week, flying training (that is if your get aerodrome/approach) etc), is that you will not get any Weekly accomodation payment (WAP), as the company will provide accomodation for you.

Consider this if you go into a rental agreement as it may cause probs (ie for 2 weeks having to pay rent without getting the extra income)

Hope that helps.

TFB:ok:

littlemiss
7th Dec 2005, 18:05
Thanks for all your advice. Greatly appreciated :D

foghorn
7th Dec 2005, 19:48
How are the sheep, INJS? :}

I'm not joking sir
8th Dec 2005, 10:00
They're still recovering from the glasgow baldy boys visiting last weekend. :)

Seaton Approach
11th Dec 2005, 21:28
Two distinct benefits of the B+B option:

1) You'll almost certainly have other Cadets staying at the same B+B, so the after-college study sessions don't have to be lonely, and it's good to be able to bounce questions off each other.

2) AWESOME social opportunities, namely when everyone gets bored with the after-college study sessions and hits the bar for a little (lot of) amber refreshment.

Beware of option 2 though - if you're not the type who can work hard AND play hard then the two should definitely NOT be mixed..... :}