PDA

View Full Version : Innsbruck

Gusty
2nd Dec 2005, 19:56
Hi,

I'm fairly new to professional flying and a friend of mine is about to start special training to fly to Innsbruck in Austria. It seems from all that he tells me that it is a very special airfield.

Could I open the floor to the knowledgeable guys and girls on the forum? I'd like to learn more about Innsbruck!

Thanks,

Gusty

BOAC
2nd Dec 2005, 20:22
Gutsy (Gusty:D ) - can I suggest you type 'Innsbruck' into search and wade your way through that lot and then come back with questions?

It would take too long to put a brief for INN here.

411A
3rd Dec 2005, 01:13
Montana Aviation used to fly a B-720B into there a long time ago, and one of their Captains mentioned to me that it was a really interesting experience.:ooh:

ICT_SLB
3rd Dec 2005, 04:58
Don't have my copy of the approach chart at home but from memory the basics are:

"Cloud breaker" LOC/GS at about 4 1/2 degrees until break out altitude around 1500 ft agl (lower with special permission from Austrocontrol).

Visual curving approach following lights mounted on town rooftops to runway.

The initial descent is right down the Inn River valley through the usual cumulo-granite. The problem is that there is often a thick cloud layer hence the LOC/GS with high decision altitude. CAE have modelled it for the CRJ sim so it might be on one of the Microsoft sim web sites.

BOAC
3rd Dec 2005, 07:04
it might be on one of the Microsoft sim web sites. - it is - read all about it on PPrune!:D

Bumblebee
3rd Dec 2005, 08:34
Did a season of charters in there a couple of years ago. Challenging is the best way to describe it. Complex approach procedures with multiple missed approach points and alternate engine out procedures that are all different depending on where you are. Throw in bad weather, strong winds and low-level severe turbulence and it gets interesting.

Following the approach from the west over the airfield into the valley, the turn over the beacon to take you back towards Axams (or break for the lead in lights for 26) gives you limited lateral terrain clearance. The valley is just about or just over 4 miles wide at its narrowest point just after you start the turn. IIRC we worked out that at 160kts (Gear down Flap15 in a 737-400) you get about 3/4mile clearance from the mountainside when you're in the valley.

Unusual view out the window when you are just below the cloud base with 30 degrees of bank and a windscreen full of cliff :}

ps the mountain-goats don't wave back :)

gonso
3rd Dec 2005, 11:24
I used to fly the 757 there years ago. Apart from the things the briefings say about this place, I could only mention 3 things that you don't see written anywhere:

1) Depending of course on the type of aircraft, it is a very good idea to get gear down and some serious flaps ridiculously early so you can handle comfortably the steep descent of the initial approach (regardless which runway is in use). It helps to concentrate on the vertical profile without the distruction of speed control.

2) On right downwind for 08, you are flying very low over the high plateau south of the runway, so anticipate that.

3) As Bumblebee mentioned, on base leg, when you turn finals on 08 the cliffs ahead look VERY VERY CLOSE, but dont worry, there is plenty of room if you do it right. The last thing you want to do (if the size and the proximity of the cliffs suprise you the first time you visit) is to chicken out at that stage! You'll probably make things worse. Your best way out is to the east , so keep that turn going!!!

Empty Cruise
3rd Dec 2005, 16:25
Yep - a bit tight at times (when there are SHSN in the valley). The rest of the time - an enjoyable experience (some of the best scenery from the flightdeck to be had).#

A further finesse during the 08-circling 26 approach is to lock onto the IGS 08 in apch mode when visibility over the final ridge is marginal.

Have seen several guys in the sim trying to fly fully manually at this stage, often resulting in unwanted GPWS activations due to insufficient terrain clearance in the left turn (optical illusion that tends to make people duck under when rolling out of the turn).

It does not pay to ignore the GS signal - teh only reason it's an IGS instead of an ILS is that rock on 3/4 miles final to the right of the centreline that penetrates the GS transitional area. So - you are still resoponsible for your own terrain clearance as the term IGS suggests.

However - far better to fly a coupled IGS and verify that the a/c does what you want it to do rather than playing the macho card and doing it all by semi-visually - it can be gin clear when turning inbound after AB, but be very murky when approaching 1,5 miles...

My 2 eurocents' worth - hope your mate enjoys the experience, it's a great (and very well organised) airport.

Best reagrds from
Empty

despegue
4th Dec 2005, 19:27
Is it by any chance SkyEurope whom your friend is flying for?...