PDA

View Full Version : 'Standby' readback

a_320busdriver
2nd Dec 2005, 16:18
Another question for you guys, are you expecting a response to "XXX Standby" ? It is funny to hear the myriad of responses to that statement on frequency.....all that way from nothing to "Roger Wilco, XXX Standing by" !

markflyer6580
2nd Dec 2005, 16:25
Stand by..................:}

Unable Due Traffic
2nd Dec 2005, 16:27
Silence IS golden......... after I say "Standby"!!

My personal favorite response to my "standby" is:

"Roger .... we are experiencing occasional light chop and and are wondering what the rides are like at FL300, 320, 340 and 360, ummmm.... and could you get us a wind check at those altitudes as well. "

Red Four
2nd Dec 2005, 18:12
I think there is another meaning to 'Standby' which seems to mean in some quarters...
.....'Pass your message'!

Brian81
2nd Dec 2005, 22:24
If ask someone to standby, I mean just that;

"Wait for me to finish doing whatever I have prioritised over you and I will get back to you."

The response I expect?

at most, one or two of them quick r/t clicks will be fine. I dont need your callsign, I know who I've told to standby and even if there was confusion, your callsign will be at the beggining of the relevant transmission anyway (as it would be on my "pass your message" command).

Thats my opinion anyway.

Traaaaaaaaaa.
:ok:

dawn raider
2nd Dec 2005, 22:42
Brian 81,

sorry say again I was on the phone.................

LXGB
2nd Dec 2005, 23:12
Brian,
Please don't encourage clicking, it's gash!

One or two? Hey why not three or four clicks - cue "Speechless aircraft calling XYZ..."

Cheers,
LXGB

PS - Never really thought of "pass your message" as a "COMMAND" before.

Timothy
3rd Dec 2005, 08:46
I think that if the ATC instruction is Standby it is quite clear that the response should be silence.

What is less clear is the correct response to Squawk 4521 and Standby because we are obliged to readback the squawk, but equally obliged to remain silent.

Farty Flaps
3rd Dec 2005, 10:44
Well having ben told to sby at yul and lgw both ending in a go around because landing clearance was given less prority than talking to some muppet at the holding point about sh1te (both ham shanks) I'll use my own judgement whether to reply or be silent.You control ,i'll fly until either one of us gets it wrong then we should interfere.

Barnaby the Bear
3rd Dec 2005, 15:59
FF (Great name), I understand, and agree to some extent with what you are saying. on the other hand it is very frustrating when you tell someone to standby, 'because' you need to give a landing clearence or similar urgently, and they rabbit on.
Its usually the same people that say they have copied the ATIS but clearly haven't understood it. :}