PDA

View Full Version : Winglet Break Even

Wizofoz
1st Dec 2005, 14:48
Does anyone know the theoretical break even stage length for winglets vs no winglets on B737 700 and 800? Are thet available on the 600 and 900?

I also believe there is a retrofit available for the 3 and 400, what are the economics of these like?

vincent van gogh
1st Dec 2005, 18:23
Hello Wizofoz,

Maybe this link to boeing will help a bit

http://www.boeing.com/commercial/737family/winglets/wing2.html

regards Vincent

PhilM
1st Dec 2005, 20:14
I don't know how accurate this is, but recently a 733 driver, told me his company are considering fitting winglets to their 737-300s, as they worked out over a 5year period, they'd save £1m of fuel per aircraft.

Dehavillanddriver
2nd Dec 2005, 01:15
Wiz,

it is a difficult question to answer because there are a lot of variables.

The winglets provide a 3-5% improvement in burn, increase optimum altitude by approximately 2000' and increase second segment climb weights by about 2 tonne.

On the shorter sectors the better fuel burn doesn't make a huge difference, but on a MEL-PER it makes about 500kg difference.

Again on the longer runways it makes little practical difference, but on shorter runways it allows you to use Flap 25 which normally shortens up the field length, but kills the climb limit weights. The winglets recover some of that loss.

Finally it depends on where you bought your winglets from. Aviation Partners Boeing will (or used to) sell you winglets cheaper than Boeing will.

The cost of the winglets (+ installation) will alter the breakeven period over which you need amortise the costs.

I have not done the sums recently to work out the stagelength where the winglets breakeven - but I hope the above helps.