PDA

View Full Version : Cathay ad for second officers

buzzc152
1st Dec 2005, 09:55
I see on the Flight Int website this morning Cathay have placed an ad for second officers........... all you need is a CPL/IR and 1000 hours. I'm a coupe hundred short myslef, but looks like a pretty good opportunity for us folks.

YYZ_Instructor
1st Dec 2005, 10:00
Sent my application form in last week. It says you will get an e-mail when they receive it...still waiting. :ok:
Good luck to all that apply.

1100TT 28yrs old

cabdriver
1st Dec 2005, 11:56
I applied for the SO position about 3 weeks ago, got a reply 2 weeks ago-its nice to have a reply from someone!

Luke SkyToddler
1st Dec 2005, 12:16
It says 1000 hours but the reality is more like 3 to 4,000 with good previous airline experience.

I went through the selection earlier this year, when I was out in Hong Kong I was the only one in my group of 8 candidates with under 4,000 hours, and one of only two without jet experience.

Even so, only 3 of us made it through final selection, I wasn't one of them unfortunately :(

scroggs
1st Dec 2005, 12:43
3-4000 hours for a second officer position? They are joking, surely?

Scroggs

Hairy Chest
1st Dec 2005, 12:45
min 3000hrs with 1000 jet time, 4 yr college degree, intl ops, airline exp.

Craggenmore
1st Dec 2005, 13:01
All Second Officer applicants must meet the following minimum requirements:

An ICAO Airline Transport Pilot's License (ATPL) (obtained without exemptions) or ICAO Commercial Pilot's License (CPL) (obtained without exemptions) with passes in all ATPL ground examinations

A Valid Multi-Engine Instrument Rating

A minimum of 1000 hours fixed wing (preference will be given to applicants with turbine or multi-engine experience)

Experience commensurate with age

A current Class One Medical

Fluent spoken & written English

SECOND officer (http://www.cathaypacific.com/careers/en/choices/0,,128411,00.html)

:)

scroggs
1st Dec 2005, 13:02
With that experience (3-4000 hours jet airline), and the correct national residence qualifications, a first officer job at Virgin and most other major longhaul airlines is within reach. Why would anyone with these qualifications want a 2nd officer job?

Scroggs

edit: the published requirements are one thing; apparently the qualifications of those accepted are another.

frouda
1st Dec 2005, 13:12
Don't expect to get called/invited if you cannot show about 2000h+, of which 1000 should be heavy turboprop
Sorry mate:(

Luke SkyToddler
1st Dec 2005, 13:22
That's correct scroggs it was the S/O position that I was applying for.

In my group there were :

Two B737 FO's - one easyjet and one SAS.

Two Embraer 145 captains - from UK regional airlines

One Dutch Bae 146 FO

One Netjets F/O (who'd previously been a turboprop captain).

One Australian Dash 8 captain

One Jetstream 31 captain (me)

A lot of airline experience sitting in that room, as I say I was definitely the lowest hours one there with my 3,100 total.

So all you hotshots with your 1000 hours of instructing, no harm in applying (I applied as soon as I met the minimums and it took 7 years before they called me), but I wouldn't go running your mouth off round the flying school just yet that you're off to Cathay :ok:

There's an ongoing thread running over on the FH wannabes forum about who got called for interview and what experience levels, should give you all a better idea.

mr solo
1st Dec 2005, 13:42
I can confirm what Luke has posted !

2 pilots from my current airline joined cathay as 2nd officers this year, both had 3500 hours with 3200 of those on medium jets ! on their selection day all candidates had 3000 + hours

The cathay ad says one thing .... and there is no harm in trying ! .... but in reality ..... even for the position if cruise pilot, cathay get a lot of applications from 3000 hour pilots !

Robert Langdon
1st Dec 2005, 21:31
And make sure you have the experience commensurate with age criteria sorted, its where I missed out :( .

Maximum
2nd Dec 2005, 23:58
What a strange world we live in........:confused:

scroggs
3rd Dec 2005, 04:59
Agreed, Max. I can't understand why UK-based pilots with 3000+ hours on 737s or similar would want to apply to an airline offering them 2nd officer jobs - and a very long time to command. Especially an airline with such lousy industrial relations as Cathay. Remember the '49ers'?

I have a number of friends there, and few would recommend it if given a choice.

Scroggs

DeltaT
3rd Dec 2005, 12:51
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ I think is the answer

scroggs
4th Dec 2005, 21:17
Cathay's pay is not good unless you joined on the 'A' scale back in the '70s and early '80s, as did many of my friends. Many airlines in UK offer better deals than Cathay does now, and far greater job security through both legislation and union protection.

Scroggs

757manipulator
5th Dec 2005, 07:15
HK......is also a nicer place to live than MOST of the UK..london aside:)

Plus give Cathay its due..varied route structure, nice equipment..oh and dont forget the Aussie Mafia:p

Money certainly wouldnt be the main factor for me to join....I make Ģ10000 here more a year

YYZ_Instructor
5th Dec 2005, 08:08
Scroggs is right!

A few of my friends jumped in on that A scale and it was deffinately worth it at the time, though they all tell me now how they had to sit up there as relief pilots for a very long time which wasn't exactly fun.

I also agree with the route structure. It is very diverse and probably very interesting to fly. On the other hand some UK airlines are paying more cash for shorter routes plus the benefit to be home almost every night....

I guess in the end its an indivuduals choice of how you would like to go about living your life....joining a company for the longrun is deffinately a good thing as you progress the ladder of seniority.

Just my little thought...

P.S- They had Canadian licences and 1500TT with about 800Multi PIC. Cathay wouldn't call u down to an interview and sim ride if they weren't serious about giving you a chance.

Good luck to those who have applied...there is always a chance and read p on their interview technique...there are books that can help you with it!

YYZ_Instructor

Arrowhead
5th Dec 2005, 10:09
3-4 years as a cruise relief pilot, earning no seniority. Mmmmmm....

Check out the Cathay posts here http://www.pprune.org/go.php?go=/pub/wanna/wannaindex.html

ImmortalCookie
6th Dec 2005, 00:33
Yea my aviation school actually recommended me applying for Cathay with the training being in Adelaide, Australia. Would be pretty awesome and a great way to start.
I heard a rumour that their hiring pilots with near no experience in order to lower their insurances!

DeltaT
6th Dec 2005, 10:58
>>I heard a rumour that their hiring pilots with near no experience in order to lower their insurances!

How does that work?

CanAV8R
6th Dec 2005, 15:42
Have had mates hired with Twin Otter and King Air time only. Sorry to squash that one. The thing about heavy time is BS.

The company is growing fast and time from SO to FO is as little as 18 months (has been in the past), if you get lucky. Even if you join as SO you are senior to FO's joining on the freighter so in the end its no big deal.

I have never applied because Hong Kong scares me but from most you talk to its a great job.

Study hard as its no cake walk.............

wingmaaan
4th Jan 2006, 11:23
hi there,
i guess itīs the right time to apply for cathay now, this morning i received a phone call from hong kong and thereafter an emai in wich i am invited for interview in amsterdam in february. i have appr. 4000hrs tt , and around 3800 on heavy turboprop.

just go for it"!

Ropey Pilot
4th Jan 2006, 11:30
Delta T
I heard a rumour that their hiring pilots with near no experience in order to lower their insurances!

Don't dispute the fact they are hiring but why would reducing the level of experience pilots lower their insurance?
Just try applying to a car insurer for a 200 bhp sports car as an 18 yr old with no experience and see how low your premium is!!

B200Drvr
5th Jan 2006, 03:58
3500 hrs sounds about right, I know two people that have got through 1st interview both with that time and heading to second interview in Feb.
It is my understanding that a 2nd officer position is all that you will be offered in Cathay passenger fleet, Direct entry 1st officers go to Cathay cargo.
I here people moan about long time to command, and in the same breath want to buy a 737 rating with 300 hours. How long do you think it is going to take them to command?:confused:

SkyCruiser
5th Jan 2006, 06:11
Guys, and Scroggs.

People join Cathay Pacific as it is still one of the best jobs on the market. Yes you start at the bottom as an S/O but you have seniority from the date of joining!!!

The money is good, and if you include the housing allowance it is very good indeed. I would rather be here as an SO than an FO in Virgin or BA living in the UK. Cathay are providing me with a great income (it's only going to get better) and a great house (Brand new with my own swimming pool, GREAT!!!) and a wonderful lifestyle, 18 days off a month.

The Company is expanding and earning record profits, not too many companies in that position at the moment.:ok:

morning mungrel
7th Jan 2006, 01:51
Except if you're too old tho....:{

swannie
7th Jan 2006, 11:57
Hello, I am a first time user of pprune. I am looking for the fragrant harbour wannabees forum Can anyone help

You are now in the Fragrant Harbour Wannabes forum Swannie. BE.

777300ER
7th Jan 2006, 15:23
Is it just me or is the wankr factor rising lately on these forums.

nike
8th Jan 2006, 02:35
-ER. its just waves man. just happens to be a big set at the mo'.

ImmoralCookie, what are you talking about?

Beechjet Pilot
9th Jan 2006, 17:54
They are looking for 3000 hrs + and 1000 hrs + turbine.
I did my final in Sept 05 with 7 other folks and non of us had less than 3500 hrs and 1500 hrs airline regional jet.
I myself had 3800 TT 3500 Turbine 2000 PIC Turbine 600 PIC Jet.
Out of our group of 8, 4 got hired, including myself.

imh145
14th Jan 2006, 19:32
Just to add to what has already been said on this thread. I first applied to cx 6 years ago with 800hrs T/T (500hrs saab340). Got rejected due lack of total time. Applied again with 1000hrs total and filled in numerous application update forms and eventually got the call last April having accumulated 3500hrs incl 1000hrs Embraer command.
My advice to anyone interested in cx is keep sending the applications and show them that you really want to work for them.

babalulu
15th Jan 2006, 14:56
Hello guys.
It took me 2.5 years to hear from CX. US ATP.8000HRS.5000TURBINE. 3000JET. 5000PIC. LEAR. FALCON .EMBRAER. RATINGS. And still was unabale to get the SO position. Luck of the draw I guess.
Do not be shy if you have the mins Send your Appli. At least you'll be in the system. And do not be discouraged in what you see or read,you could be the luckiest one and gets the call you never know.
Good luck to all of us in this industry, I am sure not in it for the money anymore.

cpt hamna sheeda
27th Jan 2006, 13:12
Does 36 yrs and 4000TT (3000 SIC, CRJ200/700) still meet the age to hours ratio?

Truckmasters
28th Jan 2006, 02:11
1. The only way to find out is to write that application and wait for the reply.
2. The application only costs you the postage - so if in doubt write it.
3. My understanding - your hours aren't too far from the ballpark. However I don't know the breakdown of your hours. (and even if I did see point 1)

cpt hamna sheeda
28th Jan 2006, 11:50
I did Truckmaster, applied last April. Recieved the updateform. No invitation yet.
The thing is; some guys have been invited meanwhile with 2000hrs and no jet time. So i thought maybe it is my age.

Thanks for the reply.

Truckmasters
29th Jan 2006, 00:46
All I can say then is to keep updating. I know of people who have been called after the initial application (no updates). I believe the record is 8 years worth of updates. I know of many who have waited a couple of years. (I had a long wait so I sympathise and know what it feels like). Just make sure you update regularly, and keep studying and reading widely. When you finally get a call you may have as little as a month to prepare. Depending on your work schedule you may be glad not to leave your preparation to the last month.
My apologies if the previous reply was incorrectly targeted. I've seen too many debating on this forum whether to even write the initial application.

Keep the chin up and stay focused.

cpt hamna sheeda
29th Jan 2006, 08:14
No offence taken Truckmaster.

Thanks for the info.

'round midnight
29th Jan 2006, 10:20
Capt. Hamna Sheeda.

The age thing is irrelevant. I'm 39, 3400 hrs (3100 jet) when I was interviewed 2 months ago in London. Now I'm off to HK for the second stage in May.

Can't imagine they would bother flying me out there if it's their intention to reject me because of my age, do you?

If it helps, I've been in the Cathay system since Oct 2003, when I first applied. Since passing the 2500 hrs stage, I've been bombarding them with up-dates and emails. Mate of mine flew out to HK to meet Clare Delaney and was called up for an interview a week later.

Just do what you have to do, but DON't give up.

'round midnight