PDA

View Full Version : Early study on A-320 FMC et cetera.

Ignition Override
30th Nov 2005, 05:12
Many of our pilots suggest not reading much, about the A-319/320 systems, unless you are already in a training class. But most of them are quicker students than 'yours truly'.

About ten years ago our 757 Tng. Dept. had NO desktop (computer) training aids, and the fixed-based sim. program left me with very bad first impressions/memories (reroutes/building an NDB approach [not in the database....:ugh:])-but the full-flight simulator sessions went pretty well. Despite the much better success with the real simulator ( V1 "cuts", ILS, CAT 1/2/3/LOC/VOR/NDB) I never wanted to go into an even more advanced aircraft, especially if designed by a (foreign!) different manufacturer.
In the last several years, A-320/319 aviators say that their training was the best program they have ever been through, although it was reportedly a rough syllabus (training versus checking function cooordination?) when it was a brand-new aircraft, and many Captains failed/gave up. What a stark contrast and improvement! This must have been an incredible workload/achievement for those instructors to turn it around.

All instructors at my company are top-notch, second to none, whether teaching ground school, fixed-base (FTD) or full-flight. The Training Schedulers are also superb. Although some of our Upper MGMT. "Leaders", to use the phrase as carelessly as possible, are totally self-centered and will not be here very long (they will leave in the short/mid-term and compete to create the largest palace on a pristine lake: only 20,000 square feet?), our many training people are dedicated to the airline.

Even if a pilot will not have a possible class date for the next 6-12 months (or more), would many pilots suggest buying the company-designed CD-ROM about 6 months before a possible class date? And if so, could this help give the new "student Airbus aviator ;) " a fairly solid foundation for the first week of ground school? I just jumpseated for most of the descent on a recent deadhead flight (from IAH) and really like the Airbus cockpit displays. Many of the trips are also quite attractive.

Old Smokey
2nd Dec 2005, 11:27
I'd highly recommend getting all of the training material possible in advance for your new aircraft. Read and digest at your own pace with no classroom schedules to meet. It kind of sux to see that the lousy sods might make you pay for it!

Jumpseating your new type in advance is something that I've always done, and recommend to others. Apart from gaining familiarity with foreign systems (good value in itself), the main value is in being able to see the 'big picture' of how it all fits together, as opposed to the typical 'Tech course' where each system is examined in isolation to the total picture.

Hang in there, Airbus aren't toooo bad. (Having said that, I'm off to fly my Boeing tomorrow).:D

Regards,

Old Smokey

Shaka Zulu
2nd Dec 2005, 11:39
Sorry for hijacking the thread a little bit but has anyone got some good training/reading material either on the internet or at home?
For the Boeing 777?
Starting the TR in March and would like to do some pre-reading

Old Smokey
2nd Dec 2005, 12:18
Shaka Zulu,

Check your PMs.

Regards,

Old Smokey

Shaka Zulu
2nd Dec 2005, 14:00
Old Smokey, check your pm's

Regards SZ

Ignition Override
4th Dec 2005, 05:54
Thank you for the advice. Will follow it. Have buddies who could show me a few things, assuming that some Gate Agents will let me onto the plane without my name on the (working) crew list for the flight.

One mistake before the 757 tng. years ago was not planning ahead before tng. with jumpseat rides/hand on FMC/MCP. Forgetting the Boeing stuff, in order to have an open mind, might be difficult.

Slasher
7th Dec 2005, 15:45
Forgetting the Boeing stuff, in order to have an open mind, might be difficult.

I.O., its actually called the "Boeing lobotomy" i.e. surgical removal by Airbus of Boeing skills, and every other pilot skill you attained flying civilised aircraft.

I sat in a A-320 once - plastic stick, plastic flap lever, plastic throttles, plastic speed-brake for christ sake, all connected to plastic computers! The driver told me the Frogs werent allowed to computerise the trim wheel and rudders in case there wonder-widgets all shat at once.

The FMC is a joke - and he showed me - no Fix page, only manual deletion of redundant waypoints, no capability of VOR radial-tracking except in TK/FPA (can you beat that?!!), no name/ETA display capability on the EFIS map, and no Direct To by LS to top of FLT PLN page, to mention a few. And then theres the horrible enroute rate of climb Airbus heaps are infamous for...I remember my 747 days following A-340s out of Brussels - it took them 220nm just to reach FL310! Apparently the A-320 is equally crappy.

A mate of mine once advised If its French dont drive it, fly it, or fark it. Ive only blown it by 2/3rds and I dont intend to go the full house! Boeing is the only way to go pal. :ok: