PDA

View Full Version : Nose wheel spin up?

Freddy Fudpucker
28th Nov 2005, 23:56
Now here is one for you ole boys: I recall once hearing about a device-mechanical motor- that was placed on Nose wheels to spin them up before landing. For those of you who can recall

1. why and what benefits? If for aquaplanning then why only the nose wheel?

2. why are they not common now?

3. what aircraft were they on?

Thanks in advance.
Freddy

megan
29th Nov 2005, 01:37
737 for operations on gravel strips I recall to stop gravel rash.

matkat
29th Nov 2005, 11:04
Not practical due to weight and cost.

forget
29th Nov 2005, 11:46
Citation with rough field spin up kit -

Here (http://www.kendallaircraft.com/images/uimages/8.JPG)

PAXboy
29th Nov 2005, 16:27
FF If you would like to search the archives, you will find that this question is asked here at least once every year. (At least!) It is more often asked about MLGs but the answer is the same - if would save money, it would have been done by now. ;)

Milt
29th Nov 2005, 21:00
A light touch of the nose wheel on terra firma spins it up very nicely !!

Freddy Fudpucker
29th Nov 2005, 22:32
Thank you all for the replies. I am not proon fiend and do not visit here often so I didn't think to search the archives. I was thinking of that jet blue incident where the nose wheels were at right angles and what effect nose wheel spin up would have had!!
cheers
FF

PAXboy
30th Nov 2005, 08:45
The answer to the Jet Blue question is: "None what so ever" The gear was twisted because of a failure in the steering mechanism and nothing could have brought it back into line. As it turned out, the gear survived and the a/c was skilfully brought to a safe halt by a pilot earning his salary. And, I have to say, you can read all about it in the PPRuNE archives. :=

--------------------
"I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you any different." Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.