PDA

View Full Version : ATC Retention

radargeekgirl
28th Nov 2005, 10:20
A question for the ATC folk out there, is there a general retention problem ATC worldwide or is it just where I come from? An awful lot of ATC's seem to be moving on to greener pastures.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
28th Nov 2005, 10:22
Depends on one's definition of "greener pasture"! I enjoyed my 30-odd years in UK ATC but many colleagues left and either went abroad or to "non-State" airfields. I think I was the winner, but no doubt they think the same about their choice(s).

If I had my life over I'd probably do the same, although part of me would be demanding emigration to NZ, Oz or somewhere like the Cook Islands...

radargeekgirl
28th Nov 2005, 10:34
I am in Oz and we just seem to be having trouble keeping controllers. Am not sure whether it is a case of us not being paid enough, but I know a reasonable number of controllers who have quit the job totally.

I have started an application to NATS but unfortunately an operation and a course for work stopped me from getting the online testing done. Am not sure if it is too late or whether they would be dirty with me for not doing it sooner.

makeapullup
28th Nov 2005, 12:00
Hey there. Here in SA the concept of retention is unheard of! Lose plenty ATC's yearly. I also think this will go on forever!

yarrayarra
28th Nov 2005, 12:15
There seems to be a massive problem in the towers area here in OZ with actually getting some people rated in the first or subsequent place. Methinks there are great problems within training/managerial areas which I won't expand on here.

Scott Voigt
29th Nov 2005, 14:56
In the US greener pastures is called RETIREMENT <G>, and there are about 13000 of us fixing to do that in the next 8 to 10 years. Little old me is elligible next month <G>...

regards

Scott

Lon More
29th Nov 2005, 16:08
Scott, Glad you finally made it. Retirements gain is the FAAs loss.
Thinking about becoming a consultant?:D

Another one moving on is TrafficTraffic, off back to Oz, I believe. (That'll take some pressure off LATCC then)