PDA

View Full Version : Gill Aircaft Impounded

Invalid Delete
20th Sep 2001, 16:49
Just heard on the local news that Gill have had aircraft impounded.

They said the company has folded.

I hope this is not true.

needapropername
20th Sep 2001, 17:03
I'm afraid it's true.

As of 1130 this morning Gill have ceased trading. They have called in the receivers.

Think they were looking a bit wobberly for some time, but makes you think whos next with the current state of things.

Rastaman
20th Sep 2001, 17:06
I had heard a rumour that Gill had gone into liquidation today. I was hoping that it wasn't true.

If it is true, then I wish all those at Gill goodluck in finding a Job and success for the future.

Keep your collective chins up boys and girls.

Griffbms
20th Sep 2001, 17:14
Malcolm Naylor is quoted as saying that this was brought about by a panic reaction from the Bank of Scotland who were involved in supporting the Company after Administration.
(They have effectively 'pulled the plug'!)

Sorry to hear of this for Gill's Staff
Good luck elsewhere !

Underdog
20th Sep 2001, 17:18
Despite record passenger figures (and finally making money) for August, the Bank of Scotland pulled its backing for Gill Air. This has caused Gill to cease trading.

A typical knee-jerk reaction from BoS, IMHO :mad:

Good luck to all involved.

Meanwhile still waiting to hear which of us is for the chop from Big Airways!

It would be nice to find out from someone other than the media for a change! :mad:

ATB,

notso :cool: Underdog

(Accused the wrong bank earlier - ooops!)

[ 21 September 2001: Message edited by: Underdog ]

Brakes to Park
20th Sep 2001, 18:44
Full story on:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/business/newsid_1554000/1554570.stm

Good luck to all you folks in Gill.

Hoof Hearted
20th Sep 2001, 18:54
I am very sorry to learn of Gill Airways demise today. To all of my former colleagues that did not deserve this may I wish you good luck for the future.

HugMonster
20th Sep 2001, 19:44
Thanks for all good wishes.

Chocks Wahay
20th Sep 2001, 21:05
Not that it makes any difference really, but it's the Bank of Scotland that were involved in Gill. Royal Bank of Scotland is a seperate company.

Sympathy to all involved.

crackerjack
20th Sep 2001, 22:06
Chocks,

You are quite correct, it probably doesn't make any difference.

By the way, do you know why the Irish call their currency the Punt?

Because it rhymes with bank manager.

Best of luck to all at Gill.

Halfwit
20th Sep 2001, 22:35
Sorry to hear about the demise

Come chat to BRAL/citi express if u can cope whith the name we need good pilots

Sadly i fear it is a backlash from the banks over the present situation rather than just Gill not getting it right in which case we had all better watch our asses

Best wishes to u all in these troubling times

be carefull its a jungle out there

HugMonster
20th Sep 2001, 23:01
Halfwit, I think (sadly) you're right there.

Under its new management, there were signs that Gill had finally got it right.

Ever since we went into administration early last year, those who stayed at Gill and toughed it out have been working their bits off to provide the passengers with a good service that they would want to experience more, and to provide Gill (and themselves) with a future.

And it was working.

Passenger numbers consistently climbed. Punctuality was excellent. The wunch of bankers were finding the overdraft rapidly diminishing, and we were a profitable, viable airline. Payrises for staff were under discussion, and the future was looking good.

What happened? We were stuffed by the greed of Insurance Companies and the greed of the bankers.

Nine aircraft, most flying day and night, have been grounded. Some of the hardest-working, most dedicated flight, cabin and ground staff are out on their ears. No doubt there will be resultant redundancies among supplier companies, who had also supported us through Administration.

And having seen on the news the reports of Union leaders' (including Chris Darke) meeting with Stephen Byers, I can say very little except that I'm disgusted with the governmant response to the crisis that every airline is going to have to face.

We're all having a few drinkies together in central toontown shortly. It will be my best opportunity to say goodbye to some truly lovely, wonderful people.

British aviation is the worse off for having one fewer indepentdent airlines around.

Coriolis
20th Sep 2001, 23:16
Very sorry to see the ATR AOG, sad to see you stuffed...very best of good fortune to all the girls & boys, from a flingwing freak....how'm we gonna fly NWI-ABZ without knees in chest now? :(
(BTW Rastaman, didn't know planks had collective...I know, bad taste, sorry, couldn't resist...aviation black humour triumphs over all) :o

martinidoc
20th Sep 2001, 23:44
This is a disaster for all at Gill, but also for the NE economy and aviation in general. I understand the girls and boys are not getting paid for Septmeber, if so this is a disgrace. I cannot understand the rationale behind the withdrawl fo funding by Bank of Scotland. Sure aviation is going to have a difficult time, but Gill had got through worse than this, and doesn't feed antlantic routes. BA had thrown in the towel when it failed to push them out of EGNT-EGAC.

If the US can provide temporary relief for their industry, why can't TB and friends? This removes the last vestige of competition to BA, and throws Prescot's "integrated transport policy" into a spiral.

As for Bank of Scotland, a plague on their house.

Rivet
21st Sep 2001, 00:12
i really feel sorry for you guys! went through it two years ago. hope you all ok and dont forget life does continue. trust me

U R NumberOne
21st Sep 2001, 02:36
So sad to see this happen to an airline I watched develop from their first SH330 (1987ish?) when I lived in the other North East, through to working many of their flights at ABZ.

One question though - is there any chance of a (or another) rescue/buyout package coming together - or is this the very end of the line?

Good luck to all involved.

Electric Sky
21st Sep 2001, 03:02
Sorry to hear this.

Been thru it myself and it is not nice.

Good luck to all at Gill. The best companies to work for never seem to survive. :(

ES ;)

BALLSOUT
21st Sep 2001, 03:17
Yes, it's all true,Gill has gone for good!No pay for this month, no notice or redundancy, however, the Bank of Scotland, "our backers", lose nothing, as Gill were actually in credit at the bank when they pulled the plug,or so we're told!
Any airline management out there actually considering taking on anyone at the moment, there are 240 good, hardworking, experienced folk up here in geordie land waiting for the opportunity to show you their worth!
After almost twelve good years with Gill I am very sad to see this happen, and I hope all of my friends and colleagues are able to move on to greener pastures.

BALLSOUT

Vlax
21st Sep 2001, 03:21
All my best to you guys and girls at Gill.
I used to talk to you all alot a few year back!

NORDIC
21st Sep 2001, 03:29
Just want to say how saddened I am to see this happen to Gill Airways and its excellent workforce.

You guys have always worked so hard in your jobs, and it is just so wrong to see it all go to waste.

It was always a pleasure working with everyone at Gill, and on my positioning flights to BHD, the Gill charm never faded.

Can I wish each and everyone of you a happy and more prosperous future, and a one that will bring you job security and the satisfaction you felt at Gill.

May there become tailwinds behind you, blueskies and sun all around you and a night full of shining stars ahead.

NORDIC.

summer76
21st Sep 2001, 04:30
Hello to all,

I would just like to say I have never met a nicer bunch of people in all my life to work for.
The M.D. and all Directors had it right, so did the F100 crews and all ATR crews we were let down by a pityfull amount of money.
This is my first and last post but please remember that Gill were good, honest and good.
I'm sorry it's difficult to see through the tears bit god bless all those who worked through all the good times even when we thought they were bad.

Mark H

HugMonster
21st Sep 2001, 04:42
Thanks Mark, for everything. It was good working with you.

Shawny1
21st Sep 2001, 07:33
From Roddy, Ex Shed driver from Wick.

Good luck to all. I have followed all the grief through out the years and kept my fingers crossed for you. Very sad day indeed.
Kindest regards and I hope that it all works out for everyone.

taff
21st Sep 2001, 10:46
Gill was a fantastic airline based in a fantasic city, they gave me my first job and I had the time of my life.

My heart goes out to all of you and I hope you all get new jobs soon.

Taff

Pandora
21st Sep 2001, 11:01
Martinidoc,

I think you'll find that in the present climate those at BA (especially the pilots and CC) aren't interested in developing a monopoply situation. We are just pleased to keep our jobs for the time being and we have complete sympathy for those friends and colleagues in the industry who have lost theirs. All flight crew are hanging on by the skin of their teeth at the moment, which is something you, as a surgeon, have not managed to put your finger on yet.

toontartcart
21st Sep 2001, 14:00
If British Euro have taken over CDG and BHD routes ex NCL and ideas for gills STN and DUB routes, which were doing well? any carrier take over them?

Hudson Bay
21st Sep 2001, 14:40
British European are now operating from today Newcastle - Stanstead, Newcastle - Paris, Aldergrove - Newcastle. Even if a little late!!

Pete O'Head
21st Sep 2001, 14:52
As an ex-Gill driver, I hope you guys all get sorted out ASAP. Happy happy memories of Gill days.
Good luck to you all.

Doors to Automatic
21st Sep 2001, 15:28
Very sorry to hear this news yesterday - seems like a classic case of short-termism by a bank without an ounce of compassion or common sense.

Malcolm - you did an outstanding job in the last couple of years and I wish you and all at Gill the very best for the future.

Go-arounder
21st Sep 2001, 19:30
All the best every one, today for the first time in ten years I went to work and never used the callsign "GIL"....VERY STRANGE AND SAD. :(
P.S. never did like the Bank of Scotland

OneWorld22
21st Sep 2001, 20:20
Very, very sorry to hear this, it's always tragic when an airline folds like this, it's almost like a death in the family. The biggest battle any small independant airline will have is the battle with it's bankers. Look how close Branson came to seeing Virgin Atlantic collapse because his bankers were about to call him in.

I hope you all get jobs immediately. Any airline managers out there should post any requirements they have here on PPRuNe.

Is there any financial institution out there willing to invest and bring back Gill?

GulfStreamV
21st Sep 2001, 20:54
Oneworld + others,

Surely Gill are not going to let this item of Administration beat them! Their must be some backers out their?

Ok, I'm not sure how it would work but would PPRuners be willing to buy shares in Gill - How much do they need to keep operational? 2500 shareholders with a share each of £500 pounds would raise 1.25Mil - Is that enough? If any financial bods out their could set it up - I'd be in the Q to buy a share.

Good luck to everyone tho.

GV

Final 3 Greens
21st Sep 2001, 21:06
Hugmonster

I wish you (and your colleagues) every success in the near future.

Very sorry to hear the bad news.

[ 21 September 2001: Message edited by: Final 3 Greens ]

martinidoc
21st Sep 2001, 21:20
Pandora,

Given the tragedy that this represents for all my friends at Gill, this is perhaps not the forum to argue the point, however BA management have over the last ten years used their commercial muscle to remove, the indepencence of Dan Air, Air UK, City Flyer, Brymon and now Gill out of our region. I have the greatest admiration for the professionalism of BA flight crew, however BA management style and strategy leave much to be desired.

HugMonster
21st Sep 2001, 22:00
The suggestion was made among the redundant Gill pilots that anyone who has an account with the Bank of Scotland (Note:- not Royal Bank of Scotland) moves it in protest at their high-handed action.

I have suggested that BALPA be asked to make the recommendation that all pilots follow suit. I also ask that any PPRuNe contributors who are not BALPA members do so as well, and make sure that the bank know why you are doing it.

If a bank can pull the plug on a solvent, profitable airline in this manner, who will be next? They need to be made to think twice.

[ 21 September 2001: Message edited by: HugMonster ]

The Groover
21st Sep 2001, 23:05
The Bank of Scotland are well known for their arrogance.

I seem to remember possibly last year when it was discovered they were holding accounts for some right wing crackpot TV evangilist in the States, lots of people in Scotland switched banks and the publicity did them quite a bit of damage.

Let us hope that they can be publicly embarrased again for an apalling misjudgement from an organisation that claims to be a friend for life.
Best wishes to all at 9C

TG

[ 21 September 2001: Message edited by: The Groover ]

keepitlit
21st Sep 2001, 23:54
Friends of Gill,
I im so sorry hear what has happened and wish you all the best for the future.

Best Regards

D.R.N.

CR2
22nd Sep 2001, 00:07
We moved out of Gosforth in 1975. I haven't been back to the North East for +-12 years now (back to UK 4-5 times in the last 10 years (STN/MAN)). A terrible shame for Gill, wor Geordie airline.
Howaay the lads.

Spoonbill
22nd Sep 2001, 01:30
I sincerely hope all at Gill can get themselves fixed up asap, to be shafted once is bad enough, but to be shafted twice is something that no one deserves.
Best of luck.
With effect from Monday, their NWI - ABZ route will be operated by Skyways using a F50, although I understand that this is an interim arrangement and that NWI airport management are negotiating with BEA to take it on permanently.
:mad: I know this goes off the thread slightly, and it wont do Gill guys & gals any good, but I was so angry when I found this out I had to post it:
Some of the crews from the other airline who operate this route seemed to find Gill's demise highly amusing, and were heard in the terminal at NWI loudly decrying the airline, it's crews and professionalism.
I have this from a very reliable source, and from someone who had to restrain some of the ground handling staff from physically remonstrating with the crews in question. I realise that the crews in question are probably in the minority amongst their colleagues, but it reflects very poorly on your own operation, and you may be laughing in the dole crew if the potential competiters succeed.
Travelling at the same fare in a F50 or knackered JS31, I wonder which the punters will prefer?

HugMonster
22nd Sep 2001, 04:13
Spoonbill, that wouldn't have been a certain Captain NH, would it?

dogs body
22nd Sep 2001, 14:22
I would like to thank you all out there for your kind words of support it is appreciated.
The way the bank of scotland withdrew their facilities from Gill is as cold hearted, calulating & callous as those fanatics who perpetrated the tragedy in the States,apart from the devastation heaped on the employees of Gill, there are a myriad of smaller companies who relied on us,and are now suffering the consequenses. Those responsible for this outrage should be made to crawl out from under their desks & be made publically accountable for their actions. I for one would like to know how these people manage to sleep at nights. :mad: :mad: :mad:

dogs body
22nd Sep 2001, 14:28
Summer76
Mark, it was a pleasure & an honour to work with you, all the very best and good luck.

Graham H

Black Marlin
22nd Sep 2001, 14:55
Thanks to all for the best wishes but some of the messages which mention 'Knee-jerk' prompt me to add my comments.
Having listened to people involve in the winding up, the closure of Gill Airways was not knee-jerk, it was a well planned decapitation. The Bank of Scotland timed it's move to perfection and new well in advance when it would pull the plug. The bean counter I spoke to informs me that if the plug had been pulled two or three weeks ago, Gill would have owed the bank money, if it had been pulled next week after wages and other bills had been payed, Gill would also have owed the bank money.
This week the banks funds and a small profit were in Gills accounts.
It leads me to think that the act of killing off Gill had been planned at least one month prior to the deed being carried out, after cash flow trends had been analysed, before the attacks on the USA.
So to the individual involved at the Bank of Scotland I hope you get what you deserve and your p45 finds its way to you sooner rather than later and you have to do what I witnessed yesterday, an experienced airline Captain applying for a job as a factory labourer for around £4.00 per hour, and to make it worse, he didn't get it!
I hope you never sleep peacefully again.

An angry ex-airline first officer.

5552N0426W
22nd Sep 2001, 15:03
To the workers at Gill.

Thank you all - flight deck / cabin / admin / engineering / Ops and crewing for the last 5 years of fun, sweat and tears.

It's astounding that this is allowed to happen so quickly and many many people have anger and bitterness within.

The only consolation we have is that we know that we were good and there won't be another Company like it.

My best wishes to you all wherever you end up and in this crazy business our paths will no doubt cross again.

Remember the words to "Auld lang syne"

Gill Ops signing off for the last time.

Luke Mc
22nd Sep 2001, 21:55
What aircraft or BEA using on the aquired routes from NCL now?

Luke Mc
22nd Sep 2001, 22:49
What a/c are JEA using on the aquired routes from NCL?
i.e. DH8 146?

tightturnaround
22nd Sep 2001, 23:44
I feel i must respond to Spoonbills earlier comments just to set the record straight. As somebody connected with the 'competing' company on the NWIABZ route I question the statements made regarding crews attitude towards Gill's failure. From personal experience I can honestly say that absolutely none of the T3 crews I'm involved with found the demise of 9C even slightly amusing. Why would they? Fare enough this airline was a competitor, however I can't think of anyone who was 'pleased' to see a fine company close its doors. I the past 10 days almost 9000 UK airline employees have found out their jobs are not secure, inlcuding all at Gill. At a time when all of us are realising how things can change in such a short space of time I would then urge Spoonbill to check his source before broadcasting what seems complete nonsense about another fine airline and the people who work there.

On Thursday and Friday infact many T3 employees worked exceptionally hard to add extra services to pick up the stranded Gill pax, I just cannot beleive that any crew would be insensitive enough to stand in NWI and broadcast how amusing Gill's closure was in a terminal filled with stranded pax. Eastern put a tremendous amount of effort in last week, this does not 'reflect very poorly' on the operation.

RE the Skyways F50...again Spoonbill has facts from an unreliable source or is a little confused. The 50 will, yes I'm informed pick up the old Gill schedule, however, flying for Eastern. The comments about customers chosing between a 50 or a 'knackered J31' are then equally unjust and complete rubbish.

As for competition, it looks like T3 will shortly be joined by a 4xdaily BE CRJ on the route (see other thread). Lets sit back and see what develops here.... Spoonbill, however, please, for the sake of all of us..think about what you are writing about decent people at a great company, before you write it.

Best of luck to you 9Cers, we sincerely all hope you find something soon

derbyram
22nd Sep 2001, 23:58
Luke, for clarification, BE are using a 146 on NCL-BHD, a 146 on NCL-CDG and will be using a CRJ on NWI-ABZ.

outback
23rd Sep 2001, 02:17
How dare you cast aspersions at THE BANK OF SCOTLAND!
They are 'A FRIEND FOR LIFE'
As long as they have YOUR money

outback
23rd Sep 2001, 02:32
apropos my foregoing message - just noticed that one of PPRuNe sponsors is the new partner of the Bank of Scotland i.e.
THE HALIFAX
Hope they will not do us dirty.

martinidoc
23rd Sep 2001, 13:41
In the scale of the Gill tragedy, my own trivial inconvenience of trying to get a refund from VISA for a ticket to Belfast is in itself insignificant,

However, VISA required me to contact Companies House, to obtain confirmation that Gill Airways Ltd. (to whom the payment was made), had indeed registered the liquidation.

I was surprised to learn from Companies House that Gill Airways was in fact liquidated last year. Two other Gill named companies conitnue to trade.

I do not understand company law and business accounting practices, but it would appear that when Gill went into administartion last year, and we all thought it had recovered, that in fact there another company may have actually taken over Gill Airways

Can anybody shed any light?

Spoonbill
23rd Sep 2001, 13:52
Tightturnaround, if my colleagues alledgedly behaved in such a reprehenshible manner I think I would have been as sceptical as you, however, I am assured that the incident did take place.
As I said in the post, the behaviour was not, (in my experience), representitive of the vast majority of folk who work for Eastern.
Perhaps I did go a little OTT in stating that the JS31s were knackered, I made the post not long after I had recieved the information - probably not a wise idea.
I have absolutely no axe to grind with Eastern, we have a good working relationship with the crews, and I wish them the best of luck for their continued expansion, as do to everyone at Gill in getting back into the industry asap. :cool:

toontartcart
23rd Sep 2001, 14:12
to everyone of the fantastic gill staff, hope you find a job soon. such dedicated and friendly staff would be a great assest to any airline. working for the competition this is not what we were aiming for, even if the management were!

good luck and god bless

The Guvnor
23rd Sep 2001, 14:19
Martinidoc - I think you may well find that the current company is Gill Aviation Ltd. You can check the details online at Companies House (http://www.companieshouse.gov.uk/info/)

Outback - actually, it was the Halifax that bought the Bank of Scotland, so if anyone is to blame it's them! So much for that "Extra Help" they offer! :mad: :mad: :mad:

Deepest sympathies to all affected by Gill's closure - keep your chins up and hopefully something will transpire for you all.

skybabster777
23rd Sep 2001, 21:13
Hi to all of you who worked for Gill .. having met many of you on flights I would like to say it is so sad to hear what has happened but good luck for the future and if any airline can offer any jobs PLEASE do its not often that you get a group of dedicated and hard working geordies.
Take care xx

dv8
23rd Sep 2001, 23:04
I am truly touched by the messages of support from the above posts and I and my family thank you for them.
It took away a for a while, a horrible sensation I would not wish on anyone namely to be made redundant. It took away the panic attacks, wondering how to get out of the financial dilemma we are in and the feeling of guilt of not taking up other offers while Gill was in admin.
Monday is another day and hopefully will start getting some responses to my applications. Although the signs are not good.

Shanwick Shanwick
24th Sep 2001, 01:08
My thoughts are with all those friends affected by the unfortunate turn of events at Gill. Rest assured, my RBS mortgage is being moved elsewhere.

Best wishes for the future.

Jonathan

HugMonster
24th Sep 2001, 01:57
No need to move any RBS account - it was the Bank of Scotland, not Royal Bank of Scotland.

t-bag
24th Sep 2001, 02:05
- been there once with AE -it will come right in the end- keep wanting guys and girls,
thoughts with you all.

Static Wick
24th Sep 2001, 21:35
:( :( :( :( :( :( :(
Summer76....
Just like to say that it was a pleasure working with you & all the Spanners at 9C. It's hard to believe that after all the hard work by some of the most dedicated troops in the business through Administration, BOS can be such heartless B'stards.
Pass my regards to WS & SR & hope that after the tears have cleared something good comes out of this. Malcolm N u did a good job, any chance of a revival???
To all at GILL.....You were the best....take care & good luck.
NE :cool:

World Traveller
25th Sep 2001, 00:43
Gill started scheduled ops on 5 June 1989, from Newcastle to Aberdeen, Belfast and manchester. At the time they were "convenient, comfortable, reliable, frequent and friendly". Little changed. I honestly thought that the concentration on the core Newcastle market (amongst other things) was turning Gill around after the problems of the late '90s. Lets hope that BE, BRAL, eastern etc can pick up the mantle and offer both employment and continued service to the public.

Best wishes to all who worked at New Aviation House.....

World Traveller
<nowt but a punter>

smellster
25th Sep 2001, 03:31
Very sorry to hear of Gill's demise, completely unnecessary judging by their recent recovery. That's the *anking industry 4 you, sorry the banking industry.

I know Gill got rid of their sheds a while back, but some of the ATR guys may have shed ratings, so if some of you guys fancy flying them again maybe be you should contact Streamline who so I have heard very recently acquired 3 more sheds. Just an idea. Their new Ops Manager maybe pleased to see you.

good luck

smellster

SCRAPPY DOO
25th Sep 2001, 21:44
TO ALL MY FELLOW FRIENDS AT GILL, I'VE ENJOYED 7 FANTASTIC YEARS WITH YOU ALL AND THE MEMORIES WILL NEVER BE TAKEN FROM ME.
GOOD LUCK TO EVERYBODY THAT MADE 9C SUCH A GREAT PLACE TO WORK AND I KNOW ONE DAY WE'LL ALL FIND HAPPINESS AGAIN.

ELLY

Evening Star
1st Oct 2001, 18:09
Been away, so a bit slow in commenting here. Just want to say, speaking as a Gill pax, how sad I am at the news. I always found Gill staff friendly and helpful, and wish them well in the future.