PDA

View Full Version : US Airways 767 engine burnout @ AMS

Capt.KAOS
22nd Nov 2005, 21:47
http://sabailand.bizland.com/Burn_Out.JPG

Today en route to Philadelphia.

A-FLOOR
22nd Nov 2005, 21:50
So I guess this is what the re-ignition phase of a surge looks like ;)

But how about giving the copyright owner and photographer some credit here:

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/963368/L/

Better resolution, too :)

dawn raider
22nd Nov 2005, 21:51
gear bay doors just closing. engine surge on rotation ? don't fly the 76 but that looks like a bad start to the day for anyone ! bugger.:uhoh:

Nato 35
22nd Nov 2005, 22:16
Top tip, get the CF6 and have a quieter day.:cool:

barit1
22nd Nov 2005, 23:27
Any number of possible causes, both internal or external. Statistically - swallowing a bird is high up there among the likelies.

The disruption in pumping, for whatever causes, releases a big belch of fuel-air mixture from the combustor, which is normally a pressure vessel with 300 psi or more inside. The belch travels backwards through the compressor, and out the core inlet, where some of it is blown back out the fan exhaust. (Oh, did I mention this is an ignited mixture?)

Spectacular indeed, but all in a day's work for the designers who validate that nothing really nasty happens.

Oceanic Airspace
22nd Nov 2005, 23:38
Nato 35:

Top tip:

It WAS a CF6!

:p

Trentino
23rd Nov 2005, 00:53
Saw this years ago out of JFK, United 767-200 With the PW's
it lit the sky nice it did. My cousin was walking on the boulevard under the dep path and saw parts dropping.
Besides the fireworks nothing to worry for the mighty 767.
The only negative from that incident was that the pilot got a beating from the chief for deviating slightly from the engine out SOP's

I hope the journo's dont make a meal out of that picture...

Ignition Override
23rd Nov 2005, 05:01
Trentino: I'm just curious. Did the Captain really get a "beating" because he deviated slightly from SOPs, or was that the rumour mill?

SOPs apply mostly to normal operations-that is why they are called standard. A Captain and crew can deviate from normal ops if there is a serious problem indicated.

Just finished annual simulator training today.
With an engine problem on a heavy aircraft, the applicable procedure might be scripted in a book, based upon a perfect world, but books are made of paper.

There is nothing academic about a serious system malfunction, if it is much more than a false indication.

In contrast to that, in the tiny briefing room today we watched an excellent video simulation of an experienced crew which almost descended into the mountains out west :( when both pilots stopped communicating and crew coordination totally broke down (with much 'mode confusion'): both pilots once pushed the small control sticks in different directions (the 'O' and the 'X'). It looked like a total lack of SOPs.

Capt.KAOS
23rd Nov 2005, 09:55
But how about giving the copyright owner and photographer some credit here: Copied it from the local newspaper here (hence lower resolution), I didn't know it was on the airliners website.

Capt Fathom
23rd Nov 2005, 10:59
Just needed to pull back the Mixture Lever a bit!

lomapaseo
23rd Nov 2005, 11:46
The multiple bangs reported by ground observers is typical of an event where only the fan is severely damaged, since the compressor keeps trying to recover enough to produce another bang.

Certainly with all the press coverage somebody must have a pic on the ground of the fan.

head_girl
23rd Nov 2005, 16:55
But it still gets damaged. Just because its turnin' don't mean its not gurnin'

Ennie
23rd Nov 2005, 17:59
I heard it first and then saw it! Atleast 6 very loud bangs before I saw it crawl into the air, landed fairly quickly afterwards, about 20 mins I think, went round the Schiphol crew centre like wildfire!

Glad all turned out well, I'd think a few beers were sank last night!

hobie
23rd Nov 2005, 18:07
N656US (cn 26847/486) WOW!!! I was making some pictures at the end of rwy 24 when this US Airways n/c came over shooting flames and making loud bangs I counted 8 of them and lucky for me at least 3 times I got the fire on the photo with the result like this.. Those people inside must have shocked really hard of all those flames and bangs! btw: I like their new paint job!

Ruben Hofs took the photo and reported as above ..... including "I like their new paint job!" ...... a true aircraft enthusiast !!!!:ok:

normal_nigel
23rd Nov 2005, 18:49
I'd think a few beers were sank last night

By Americans?

Joking aren't you?

Ignition Override
24th Nov 2005, 06:30
Normal Nigel-sometimes we colonials can stumble around and locate and consume with relish Newcastle or Oatmeal Stout, with a spoon.