PDA

View Full Version : FI in Canada

Trislander
21st Nov 2005, 22:29
Hi there,

Quick question.

I have family in Canada but am a UK citizen and am training for JAA CPL/IR. I would like to instruct in Canada for a year or so and was wondering what the requirements would be given I have a JAA CPL/IR. Is it as simple as converting my licence and completing the TC FI course or is there more to it than that? Also what are FI job prospects like in Ontario once I've completed the necessary training/conversion?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

T:ok:

Pedsims
23rd Nov 2005, 16:27
Trislander,

Looks like were both in a funny transition in our careers. Here you are trying to instruct in Canada, and I'm trying to make the same quest back to Europe. Let’s help each other out!

I’m currently a flight instructor in Thunder Bay, Ontario At Confederation College, so I can tell you little about instructing jobs in Ontario.

As far as your knowledge for the license conversion is concerned, is seems about right. Converting a Jaa to a Canadian cpl doesn’t seem nearly as grueling as the other way around. For one thing you don't have to write 15 Exams, not that i know of anyways!!!!

Instructing jobs in Ontario are particularly not hard to find. Canada is soon going to be desperate for instructors, so your timing is bang on. Southern Ontario is crowded with many flight training units, and if you have a little experience its should be easy to find a job especially during March to about October... March to August are typically the hot months for instructors at the local flying clubs.
When the cold temps and the snow begin to hit that is when and instructor’s life in Canada becomes difficult! The need for students to freeze their buts off and fly does not exist.

So typically speaking, instructors find other jobs to cover their losses for the winter months. But usually a typical year calendar for an instructor will get you anywhere to about 400-600hrs of instructing time.

If you want to hear more, ask away I shall do the best I can for ya!

If you can tell me the same about Europe I think we can make our decision a bit easier to make.

Good luck:ok:
-pedsims