PDA

View Full Version : Unit Visits for Interview?

Quincy M.E.
21st Nov 2005, 11:58
Hi

I have an interview for trainee ATCO in March and was wondering if unit visits are necessary/expected. I have inferred that before the new recruitment format was in place it was the norm to go on one but nothing has been mentioned in my correspondance with NATS other than them telling me that a visit was not necessary before the Assesment day.

I would like to go on one and from what I have seen from searching the forum I know I just have to ring them up. Are visitors still welcome?

Ta

chevvron
21st Nov 2005, 15:03
Do you actually have any experience of aviation (PPL or gliding cert)? Are you now or have you ever been an Air Cadet?
If the answers are no and no, then I would say a visit is ESSENTIAL!
If you don't, the interviewers might decide that if you can't be bothered to visit, you might not stay the course; don't forget the voluntary dropout rate is quite high, as is the 'chop' rate.

phil-99
21st Nov 2005, 15:27
When I was going through the process of applying earlier this year, someone I talked to said that NOT going on a tower visit was more likely to be seen as you not being willing to put the effort in to get an idea of what the ATC process was all about for real.

I think it's great to be able to get in and see what's happening 1st hand - I learnt more from my visit to London City than I did from anywhere else...

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
21st Nov 2005, 15:32
Agree 100% with previous answers - you've got to prove an interest because there will be lots of applicants for few places. If you want to PM me with any techie-type questions do feel free.

Good luck..

roundthebend
21st Nov 2005, 20:21
How would one go about arranging such a tour? I am near Stansted and as that is quite a busy airport and it is NATS controlled then it would seem a logical place for me to investigate.

What would a tour consist of? Could I make any requests as to what happened?

phil-99
23rd Nov 2005, 23:58
If you've passed the selection tests you can book a visit through the website. If you can't, I believe if you call up and explain that you're in the NATS application process, they can be quite accomodating. Or they may not :)

yakkity yak
27th Nov 2005, 12:59
seems to be an awful lot of requests for visits to various units recently, If I was the centre manager I would not be taking in visitors with the current security issues especially in the US or UK or Europe, one could become a target

Quincy M.E.
29th Nov 2005, 08:45
Thanks for all the repies, they are most useful. In reply to a few responses:

I have experience flying (PPL) and definately want to go for a visit. Thanks H-D, will PM if anything comes up.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
29th Nov 2005, 09:14
yakikity yak... Yeah - and I'd stop all passenger flights and travel by public transport. Oh yes, and close all the shops and other public places; shut all football stadiums too. 24-hour curfew I'd say....... Lock everyone away.