PDA

View Full Version : Flying International

jai6638
20th Nov 2005, 23:24
Hey ..

I just wanted to know what the procedure would be for flying international ( US-Canada, U.A.E - Oman, U.A.E - Pakistan ) if you are a PPL.. Would you need have some kind of approval from the local federal agency which qualifies you to fly international?

Thanks

jai6638
21st Nov 2005, 14:40
anyone.........................?

Hour Builder
21st Nov 2005, 15:22
You need to get your licence verified in the relavent authority.

This link shows info regarding flying in the US, however the info is still the same for other states.

Let me know if you have any questions, regarding this if they arent answered from the link.

http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?categoryid=175&pagetype=87&groupid=612

HB

jai6638
21st Nov 2005, 22:53
Thanks for your reply.

So from what I understand, you need to ensure that you have a local pilot certifcate from your destination country.... Hence, If I were to fly from the US to Canada, I would need the Canadian authority to validate my US PPL and issue a local certifcate against it?With this local certificate, I would be able to fly into Canada?

Are there any other details taht I would needto keep in mind?

Aussie Andy
21st Nov 2005, 23:26
That's not entirely right: it also depends on the state that a/c is registered in, e.g. I have flown in France/Holland/Germany/Belgium/Spain (and even Wales!) in a G-reg a/c on a UK-issued PPL. But when renting VH-registered a/c in Australia and N-registered a/c in the US I have had to rely on having some sort of local certification (varies from country to country). Hence I have had to get a US certificate and an Australian "special license" - both of which are valid only if my UK license is valid.

Generally speaking though, if you are a in an a/c that is registered in the same State you got your license in then its only customs / immigration etc you need worry about, not your license.

Ask an instructor in your jurisdiction (at your flying club?) and they should know the rules that apply for you.

Andy

jimpearce
22nd Nov 2005, 09:07
I think you will find if you're flying your own a/c through these places and it is on a permit to fly rather than c of a you will need permission from each country. On a C of A I believe it's a different matter.
Permissions I've obtained for flying in Africa i've used Paul Portnoi at Overflight to help. 01403 275835. He's a nice chap and very helpful.
Regards,
Jim.
www.microlightadventures.co.uk

Hour Builder
22nd Nov 2005, 10:03
Aussie Andy the reason why you didnt have much trouble flying G reg in France/Holland/Germany/Belgium/Spain on a UK PPL, is probably because they are all JAR Member states, and even though your licence isnt JAR, you are less likely to have trouble flying in these states then in US or down under.

DFC
22nd Nov 2005, 11:08
If you are flying a US registered aircraft with a US issued licence then under international ICAO agreements, countries will in general accept that as being suficient.

Some countries may have requirements for over-flight permissions. The information will be published in the GEN section of the AIP for that country.

What you need to check and comply with is the sections covering entry and transit of aircraft, as well as entry and transit of passengers and crew. You will laso need to check things like equipment required, requirements for flight plans etc.

All is available in the AIP.

If you can't be bothered to read the AIPs you could contact Jeppesen or similar organisations who will do all the work for you (for a hefty fee).

Regards,

DFC

david viewing
22nd Nov 2005, 13:25
If your'e planning to enter the US by light aircraft you need a visa waiver first - you can't get one on arrival! To fly a Canadian reg a/c in the US you need a Canadian licence, not a reciprocal.

And then there's insurance....

Aussie Andy
22nd Nov 2005, 13:58
HB: b*ll*cks mate - my license I can happily fly a G-registered a/c from here to Australia if I want, as long as I get permission to cross territories etc, without having to have a license for each country I want to pass through or over-fly... that's what the ICAO treay is for mate (per DFC above)!

Andy :ok:

jai6638
22nd Nov 2005, 18:19
Hey guys.. thanks for the replies

Whats AIP? is that the british equivalent of the Aeronautical information manual?

Where would you get your permissions to overfly airspace of the countries? Would you contact the countries' respective aviation authority?

Thanks

P.S: I live in the US and would be getting a US PPL.

flyingfemme
23rd Nov 2005, 07:24
Jai - it's a mix of what all these people have said.

If you have an FAA licence and are flying an N registered aircraft (standard cert not experimental) then you may fly anywhere in the world subject to respecting the local procedures and applying for overflight or landing clearance when individual countries require them.

Local procedures vary slightly from place to place but everything is pretty much standard if you fly IFR.

In the USA, Canada and most of Europe you don't need specific overflight clearances - in the middle and far east you generally do. These must be applied for in advance, in writing, with the relevant authority.

All these things change if you are flying a locally-registered aircraft in another country (or outside its state of reg) so you have to be more specific!

So if you fly your US registered aircraft into Canada you are OK - the only paperwork you need to do is with customs and immigration. Once you are inside Canada you may fly at will.

cadaha
23rd Nov 2005, 14:21
If you and your A/C are from an ICAO member state and are not a scheduled flight you can over fly and land in any other ICAO member state without having to obtain permission, although you have to abide by any rules of the member state that you are entering. See ICAO Article 5

:ok:

jai6638
23rd Nov 2005, 15:06
I apologize for not being specific enough.. I usually rent planes untill I buy my own... So if I was flying from US to Canada, I would fly a N-reg plane while if I was flying in the middle east, I'd fly a UAE registered plane ..

1) Im not a US citizen however so not sure if that complicates matters when flying to canada ( although i have a valid canadian visit visa ) ..

2) I asked a pilot at my FBO and he told me that I would need to get some kind of Radio license which shows that im proficient in communications ...

3) Also, i'm assuming that i will probably have to land at an airport of entry/exit ( international airport ) so that I could clear customs,etc.. is this correct?

Thanks a lot for your help guys... Im finally understanding the procedures required...

flyingfemme
24th Nov 2005, 07:04
1. It complicates the immigration bit (a little) but not much. Nothing to do with the flying.

2. If you have a US PPL then you are entitled to a US radio licence. Get one at the FCC (http://wireless.fcc.gov/uls/) online. They are not required for flying within the USA so most pilots never bother.

3. Yes, correct. You must also inform customs and immigration of your intended arrival so that they can inspect you.

And make sure that the aircraft you rent is insured to leave the country!

As for the UAE - I assume you are considering working there.......avgas is not freely available in many arab states and flying is quite tightly controlled.

DFC
24th Nov 2005, 21:21
Here is a link to the Canadian AIP;

http://www.navcanada.ca/ContentDefinitionFiles/Publications/AeronauticalInfoProducts/pdf/AIP/Launch.pdf

They now also publish an AIM which you may find more familiar.

The General Civil Aviation Authority in UAE has a web site at;

http://www.gcaa.ae/en/

Regards,

DFC

jai6638
24th Nov 2005, 21:36
great.. thanks much guys.. appreciate it.