PDA

View Full Version : Transition to Turbine

FlyinLow
20th Nov 2005, 07:20
Have'nt posted for awhile, however I check the website atleast once a week. I am doing alot of reading on the aviation feild because in the next few months I need to decide either to do get a masters degree or persue an aviation career (I currently have PPL-170 hrs)

I have'nt come across much information on how pilots transition from Prop aircrafts to Turbine aircraft. Basically every turbine aircraft job avaiable requires 500 hrs of turbine experience. How do pilots transition between the two types. Are there school for this, any recommendation on flight school. Say if I have 2000TT and 1000hrs on mutli-engine navajo, would I be considered for a turbine job.

flyboy519
20th Nov 2005, 15:01
Hey Flyinglow

Let me tell you about my experience. I was in the almost exact situation ( Bsc looking to do the masters ). Decided to go flying instead.

Got my first 1000 hours flying skydivers ( if you're in the YYZ area, there are alot of clubs, and now is the time to talk to them for next season ) after that, I bought alot of beers ( let me explain ). During the winter, I bought a copy of JP fleets ( the bible if you're looking for that first job ) and called every operator in the Canada section. I then got into the car and talked face to face with anyone I came across who might have a flying job available ( Thats when I bought the beers ) I even went to Vancouver for a day trip because of the possibility of a job . In the end, I got on a Metroliner with 1000hrs which started off my aviation career.

Now Im sitting in Dubai on the B777 and having a great old time. Its a great business. Keep at it.

BTW - Emirates Airlines pays for the MBA ( which Im starting next year )

Good Luck

FB519

YVRAPPROACH
27th Nov 2005, 15:31
Hey FlyinLow,

Usually people do not have to pay for a turbine course to get a job. They may, however, have to commit to a training bond though.

You will find that most people who transitioned from Piston to Turbine did so through a company that has both types. I, for example, Worked on a Navajo and then got a Metro rating from the same company after I had been there 6 months-thats a pretty typical progress for many.

There are alot of companies out there that operate both piston and turbine.
Keep at it!!!:ok:

Glorified Donkey
27th Nov 2005, 22:23
Hi flyboy519,

So should you decide to pursue an MBA once you are in the company, Emirates will pay for all of it?!?

flyboy519
28th Nov 2005, 00:43
Emirates has a setup with an MBA school in the UK. My next door neighbour got accepted and EK is paying most ( if not all of it ).

My application is in and should know before Christmas.

FB519

Glorified Donkey
28th Nov 2005, 02:13
Ok but you can study at home (distance education) ? Do you have to go to the UK to write the exams? Im interested in eventually getting an MBA but really want to build up the hours first to get into Emirates. Thanks again for your help.