PDA

View Full Version : DC Headsets in Mil Aircraft

wibblefishbanana
19th Nov 2005, 08:29
Hi,

I fly an Ex-RAF Bulldog, which has had the standard VHF replaced with a civvy one, but the NATO socket for headsets remains, along with the original Comms Control Unit (CCU), meaning that rather uncomfortable Mil headsets currently have to be used.

Previously I flew in a Bulldog with a civvilianised intercom system with my DC 13.4 headsets, which was much more agreeable.

I understand there is something to do with carbon/electret microphones, but my knowledge here is zilch.

Does anyone know if it is possible to simply get a NATO to 2 plug converter that will allow me to use the DC headsets in the current setup, or is something altogether more cunning require?

Cheers,

Wibble

Centralize
19th Nov 2005, 08:56
Wibble

Mil systms use a carbon mic whilst civvys use an electret mic, which unlike the carbon requires a power supply from the aircraft system to operate.

Adaptors available from www.headsetservices.com, based at Shoreham.

Know of any good places to hire a Bulldog...?

C

ShyTorque
19th Nov 2005, 09:44
Alternatively try Transair. I bought a convertor lead from them a few months back to use my David Clark helicopter headset (single plug, USA type) with a light aircraft fixed wing two-plug setup. They stock all types of convertor and I'm sure they can supply the one you require.

Alternatively, why not use a military helmet?

wibblefishbanana
19th Nov 2005, 18:56
Thanks for the replies.....

best I can find so far is:

this (http://www.headsetservices.com/prod_hsl/hsl_adaptor_011.html)

Does anyone have any experience in knowing whether this would work straight off, or if some converter is needed...?

Converters I have seen in my hunt all seem to be for turning NATO connecters into 2 pin sockets, as opposed to the other way around.

Centralize:

Believe Old Sarum or Kemble rent Bulldogs....

ShyTorque:

We do have a couple of military helmets, which we use for aeros etc, but for just bimbling around on hot days etc, would prefer to use the DCs.

Regards,

Wibble

Centralize
19th Nov 2005, 21:32
Wibble

The page on that link shows an adaptor, you need a converter, looks similar but also has a small box where the impedance matching etc takes place. Give them a call let them know which way you are converting ie mil a/c to civil headset, they will sell you one for around £80

C

Warped Factor
19th Nov 2005, 22:08
I have two basic adaptors, twin socket to single UK NATO that are available for sale.

If they fit your needs let me know, £30 the pair virtually unused (£29.95 each at Transair).

If you're local to EGLK or EGLM and want to try them first just say.

WF.