PDA

View Full Version : Employment Climate

Heli-Boy1
18th Nov 2005, 11:53
A quick question from a soon to be ex-mil pilot...

With 1100 hrs on single engined turbine helos, what are the chances of securing stable employment in the rotary world. Quite willing to relocate! In short, am I employable...?

Thanks for the help (hopefully!)

Letsby Avenue
18th Nov 2005, 16:42
Give McAlpines a call, they will certainly be interested but you might find yourself at the bottom of the pile for a while.

332mistress
18th Nov 2005, 17:19
Hi

I presume you have the obvious like a CPL/ATPL(H) and a class one medical?

Offshore you will probably need an IR though requirements change week by week. You would start as a co-pilot and may expect a command within 5yrs - it is all seniority led.

On shore police/HEMS as ex army? you should fill all the requirements but pay is pretty poor compared with offshore.

There does seem to be a shortage at the moment but this does change very rapidly.

Best of luck

332M

rotornut
18th Nov 2005, 19:33
Helicopters - a Canadian magazine - has one ad for a 206/AS350 driver with 1000 hrs minimum. PM me if you are interested.

Heli-Boy1
18th Nov 2005, 21:15
Thanks for the help - really appreciated.

As I said, I am just in the process of leaving, so am unfortunately not able to jump straight into a job - much as I would like to.

I will bear all your comments in mind though - looks most like I will have to build up some tein time before becomming usefully employed!

Bravo73
18th Nov 2005, 21:16
Well, for the UK onshore charter market, you might find you're in bit of a limbo.

The smaller Flying Schools/AOC Operators probably wouldn't be interested in you without a piston FI rating. Can't have someone who can't fly Trial Lessons!

For the slightly bigger AOC operators, such as Premier, you might be a bit shy of their requirements. Their current ad (http://www.flightinternational.com/Jobs/2005/11/14/1450946/VIPCharter+Pilots.html) is looking for 1500hrs P1, and twin to boot. As far as I'm aware, most Police and EMS jobs are looking for similar.

But get yourself a JetRanger rating and you should get plenty of freelance work next Summer at the very least.

Otherwise, PDG in Scotland or Sterling in Norwich might be interested in your time and background. That's not based on anything concrete though, just the talk around the bazaars... :ok:

Hope this helps,

B73

Edited to add: Just noticed that you replied a minute before I posted this. Kinda confirms exactly what you're thinking!

Helibelly
19th Nov 2005, 07:18
What ever you do keep plugging away at the companies and don't be downhearted when the 'thanks but no thanks letters arrive' of which I have a very large box. The jobs are out there, I know it sounds odd but you can do worse than phone up places and speak to the chief pilot and arrange a visit for some face time. That way there's a face to link to your CV and hopefully you'll bump into some old colleges. There's alot to be said for who you know and not what you know. Good luck.

Wizzard
19th Nov 2005, 16:35
Heli-boy,

1100 hours turbine, albeit single is quite good. Don't under-sell yourself: remember that as an ex-mil pilot you have had probably the best training in the world and have a proven record of reliability, responsibility and maturity - otherwise you would not have made the grade and stuck around for the length of time it takes to get over a thousand hours these days!

Keep trying, you have a lot to offer.

Good Luck:ok:

Wiz

SilsoeSid
19th Nov 2005, 16:48
Heli-boy,

I notice from your profile you are in Suffolk;
How about popping in to see the people at the Police Air Ops at Watisham if you haven't already? http://bestsmileys.com/cops/7.gif
http://www.suffolk.police.uk/About+Us/AirOperations/

Don't forget to take some biccies!!

:ok:
SS

L'WAAPAM
21st Nov 2005, 12:40
Heli-Boy

Check your PM's