PDA

View Full Version : LSZH approach for foreigners ...

In the hot seat
18th Nov 2005, 03:45
Any insights into what life is like in Zurich for foreign ATC's? Ex Jo'burg input would be HIGHLY appreciated.

Some specific questions ...

Do the Swiss take kindly to foreigners or are they a bit "cold shoulder"?

How long is the training for app?

Is the salary OK to live reasonably well?

Must one live and work in the same canton?

ANY input would be much appreciated.:ok:

ZRH
18th Nov 2005, 08:20
We did have an ex-JNB chappy here, but he has moved on to even greener pastures.

Bear in mind, that skyguide employs about 25-30% foreign controllers from all over the world. Needless to say that you will find a few guys who are against foreigners, but it is the exception.

You will pay tax at source and depending on your salary scale, you should take home around Sfr9000/month.

Training is about 4 months before you get checked out. Then you'll go back to the sim and do it all over again for TWR. As an APP controller you have to be fluent in German as all the cocordination with the vehicles and tugs is in German. But if you do a few language courses you'll pick it up quickly...

If you want to live in another canton, you must just tell skyguide beforehand and they'll arange the work permit for you.

I'll try and get one of the app guys here to give you more info. I'm not too sure about the training and such, but hopefully he can help you further.

makeapullup
19th Nov 2005, 07:06
hey hot pants
when you go to canada?

In the hot seat
19th Nov 2005, 14:37
huh??:confused:

egld0624
19th Nov 2005, 14:48
Without going off topic too much... I'd like to add what an excellent and friendly service I experienced on each occasion I've used Zurich for GA purposes this year. VFR circuits on 28 with an opportunity to mingle with the IFR flow on the other 2 rwys when permitting; Hearing the odd US accent almost as often as Swiss from the Tower and without the "only interested in the big-boys" mentality given just how busy ZH is.

Well done LSZH - a rare melting pot in my limited experience!

EG:ok:

P.S. If you want to hear Zurich Radar at first hand... www.navex.aero ...just use your volume balance control to select either of the available 2 channels.

makeapullup
19th Nov 2005, 18:56
INTHS When I was in Canada last year I started hearing rumours of a Toronto - Jo'burg route being started. Using A340-500 machines.

Was just wondering if you did in fact hear that "when you were in canada" or if it was secondhand info?

i little off the topic but just wondering.

blackrogue
19th Nov 2005, 19:25
Who exactly do you think was going to start that route?

N380UA
21st Nov 2005, 06:26
In the hot seat

Let me back up ZRH on his statements. In general you'll be warmly welcomed in Switzerland. You will certainly find those that are a bit xenophobic, but I guess this hold true anywhere in the world. After about a half a year you'll be checked and current and on your daily grind.
One thing you don’t have to worry about is the salary. You'll be taxed at the source while you hold a B permit. At any rate, you'll be able to afford a rather decent lifestyle with your family and as single even more so. After some time, 5 Years I believe you'll be eligible to apply for a C permit (Green Card) at which time you'll be taxed just as anybody else.
As it is the Canton that issues the permit, you may be required to stay within the same Canton where you work. Again, with some time you'll be more free to move around as you want.
Hope that helps.
Good luck

Tweety
27th Nov 2005, 13:16
dont we have another thread on this? plus it sounds a bit like a communist state doesn't it