PDA

View Full Version : multi jobs where are they

if u can
17th Nov 2005, 06:41
How does one gain a multi job.
To instruct twin IFR you nedd 50 hours IFR PIC Flight Plan. Do you pay for this yourself?
Even twin Charter impossible.
Anyone agree?

maxgrad
17th Nov 2005, 07:03
Do the yards, network, show initiative, drive the country in search of, move O/S.

JetABro
17th Nov 2005, 07:43
The yards a...

Well I've done both sides of the ditch over the past 18 months. 80% of the operators tell me I've got the right hours they need to fly their twins, yet it always seems to be that I'm just never there at the right time. It dosent seem to matter that I'm prepared to drive 1000kms in one night just to put me in that right place.
But I guess this is why some of us became pilots in the first place, that do (almost) anything passion for flying. I'm sure the passion will pay off one day, soon, fingers crossed.

...well I better get back to work, "yes sir, what would you like to drink?":hmm:

maxgrad
17th Nov 2005, 08:11
I say again....the industry sucks
You may be doing everything you can but still no break through.
All I can say is keep trying.

Continental-520
17th Nov 2005, 10:52
In 5 years, as a beginner in the aviation industry, I have never met anyone who didn't get a job when they wanted one bad enough.

Even in a place like Broome or Kunners chasing that elusive first SE job along with 200 odd others in town. If you want it bad enough, it will come to you I reckon.

Good luck with it.

Wanikiba_pilot
17th Nov 2005, 12:06
Be creative and go where the crowds aint.

jandakotpilot
17th Nov 2005, 14:37
It is the eternal question of what came first, the chicken or the egg.
In aviation it was clearly the chicken!!

Will it ever be the egg???

gas-chamber
17th Nov 2005, 21:59
Forget the big smoke and go camp out for a month or two near somewhere really awful, get close to an operator who has singles and twins. Maybe one whose major business is servicing remote communities, because operators who depend on tourism are too seasonal, and now is the wrong season. There is always a pilot turnover in remote places, especially when the wet season kicks in. Start on the singles and as sure as night turns to day, if you do a good job you will get to fly the twins, just because you havent left yet. Don't even mention you expect to fly a twin within your first six months. Think about it from the point of view of the other pilots already ahead of you, waiting for their turn at a twin, so that they can do their 500 hours and eventually move on closer to the city life. Character buiding, and what chief pilots of some bigger companies value more than you might think.

Dave Incognito
17th Nov 2005, 23:34
As mentioned above you are probably going to need to take a step sideways before you can step forwards. Most of the people I know who drive twins made the break by progressing though a company that has both singles and twins. It might take a bit of time, but if you do your job well and get on with your boss and coworkers, it will happen.

You will almost certainly need to look further afield than Sydney, Melbourne etc. Pack the car and head out of your comfort zone. You will be surprised how much fun you can have… :)

JetABro
18th Nov 2005, 02:43
Thanks for the thoughts everyone.

But I have actually done those things. Flown in the communities for a while, enjoyed my time there but couldn't afford the medical bills!!

But once again it still comes down to needing to be in the right place at the right time or knowing the right people.
Singles, twin, from charter to meat bombing, would be more than happy to do it. Staying in the same place for 6 months or more, showing that your keen and will do anything, thats what I've been doing.
I know guys that dint planes, fly drunk, are bad pilots, yet they still get jobs time after time. Am I missing something?

Well before I put everyone to sleep, if you know of the smallest lead, the littlest maybe, please PM me.
Thanks to anyone that maybe thinks about this for more than 2 seconds.

And sorry to "if u can" for hijaking you topic.:O

Kokoda Trail
18th Nov 2005, 08:28
Try Aerotropics up at Horn Island.....great company and plenty of twin hours when I was there from 2001 to 2002. You will probably need to do about 6 weeks in the hangar at CNS before going up to Horn....logged about 1500 hrs in just under 2 yrs.....they have a fleet of multi-engines....no singles....I hear they are finding it hard to find experienced drivers...if you have around 1000 hrs TT....I recommend jumping in your car and driving up there....I drove up there in Jan and got a position in the hangar within 3 weeks and then 6 weeks later up to Horn and started on the PN68 and BN2P then moved onto AC500, BE58 and PA31

GOOD LUCK MATE !!! :ok:

DeltaT
18th Nov 2005, 11:46
Aerotropics require:
At least 150 hours in command or ICUS on multi engine IFR operations.

We all gotta get that first!!! :{

As well as:
Endorsement on P-68 and/or BN-2 with at least 10 hours PIC or ICUS

Or are these just used as a filter, and if you are there these will be overlooked if your face fits?

Ratter
19th Nov 2005, 05:45
In my time in aviation i have found that the times i was unhappiest was when i tried to control my future too much. Work hard, meet new people, always keep smiling and it will all come together for those who stick it out.

Fly safe.

Ratter.