PDA

View Full Version : C of A Airtest - dH82A

stiknruda
16th Nov 2005, 12:31
Last week, I had the pleasure of performing a CAA schedule 1 airtest on a Tiger Moth for the issuance of a new 3 year C of A.

As the Tiger is semi-aerobatic, spins in both directions are included as part of the test. The aeroplane enters a spin in a most gentle fashion and slowly but surely accelerates in auto-rotation. Recovery is text book stuff and the powerful rudder very quickly stops rotation when feet are changed.

All in all a very pleasant sensation and far less aggresive and much slower than other "more competitive" types that I have spun.

So if you ever get the opportunity to be an observer on a Tiger Moth Airtest or the opportunity to go and spin one, I'd suggest that you take it!

Stik

:ok: :ok:

ozplane
16th Nov 2005, 14:22
Good for you Stik but my engineer told me yesterday that Airtests are a thing of the past for EASA/CAA C of A renewals. Was the Tiger on a permit mayhap?

Genghis the Engineer
16th Nov 2005, 14:31
Historic aircraft of national importance, therefore Annex II, therefore exempt from the evil clutches of EASA. Hence we keep doing air tests as we always have done in the UK.

And, in my personal opinion, quite right too - I'm totally unconvinced at EASA's decision to eliminate annual air tests on CofA light aircraft. Airliners, which are subject to far closer maintenance controls - maybe, but not light aircraft.

G

ozplane
16th Nov 2005, 14:35
Have to agree Genghis. What was the EASA logic I wonder?

Warped Factor
16th Nov 2005, 14:57
Not having terribly many aeros hours I found my first experience spinning in the Tiger Moth during a Tiger Club checkout a little disconcerting...no roof, a not quite tight enough Sutton harness and looking out at the ground over the top wing :eek:

Great fun though :D

WF.

Genghis the Engineer
17th Nov 2005, 06:15
Sorry Ozplane, but I have to flame you for that.

Using "Easa" and "logic" in the same sentence! Come on laddie.

G

ozplane
17th Nov 2005, 16:23
You old cynic Genghis. It's Eurospeak and you know it's good for you coz Tony says so. Seriously though is this a first step along the route of having a system of annual renewals like the American/Ozzie system rather that the 3-yearly stripdown for the Star annual perhaps?

Genghis the Engineer
17th Nov 2005, 17:50
I think that we've pretty much got that under the new EASA system anyway, and nobody has much of a problem with it. It's the concept of light aeroplanes, operated in a private or club environment not being subject to a periodic air-test that scares me.

Genghis the Eurosceptic

javelin
17th Nov 2005, 21:15
Picture the scene, your Seminal or Senepod comes out of it's annual greasing. You don't have to do a flight test any more, the aeroplane is used for twin training. Next time out it loses one for real on climbout and you end up in a field because nobody tested the single engine perf after the annual check.

Boy are the lawyers going to get rich !

I have just had the new EASA C of A done on my Citabria. I then went up and did a flight test for personal peace of mind.

Glad I did, a couple of minor problems showed, easily remedied but may have gone un noticed without a specific test.