PDA

View Full Version : Left hand-right hand? oops!

MikeGodsell
15th Nov 2005, 12:19
Flying right hand seat as pax in a friends Europa. He was doing the flying and I was enjoying the view.
On long final my friend suggested I might like to do the landing.
Perfectly set up for approach, with the nose a little high, so I corrected with a little forward stick, speed rising somewhat so pull back on the throttle slightly, nose now unaccountably rising and we are going well above the approach path. What the *** is going on? Sudden enlightenment...my stick hand is holding a throttle, and my throttle hand has hold of the stick! Might have sorted it all out given time, but I passed control to my friend and had a think about how many years had passed since I last flew in a right hand seat. [Both the Europa and my ATL have dual sticks and central throttle.]

Just an observation from a still learning pilot. [Dont think I will ever try to fly a weight shift microlight with all controls reversed!]

MG

robin
15th Nov 2005, 13:10
Fly in a Robin - you have the choice of throttle and stick

tmmorris
15th Nov 2005, 17:17
First time I tried that way round (in a Firefly) my stall recovery went... stick fully forward, open the throttle a little! Made the instructor wake up...

Tim

bletchleytugie
15th Nov 2005, 18:20
Mike Godsell wrote

"Dont think I will ever try to fly a weight shift microlight with all controls reversed!"

I was teaching a weight shift pilot to fly a glider once i it was all going far too well until the last bit of the approach when she reverted to type - the view out the front went very green for a nanosecond or two...............

Gertrude the Wombat
15th Nov 2005, 21:53
First time I tried that way round (in a Firefly) my stall recovery went... stick fully forward, open the throttle a little! Made the instructor wake up... Me Too.

(The instructor didn't actually say anything. He just waited until I'd worked out what happened and sorted it. No doubt he would have joined in if I'd taken too long :) .)