PDA

View Full Version : Kemble Fly-in Sunday 20th November

dwshimoda
15th Nov 2005, 12:01
Anyone going to Kemble this Sunday for their fly-in? Weather permitting I'll be there in the 172 with some friends, and have booked a table at AV8 for lunch. Hoping for good weather and some exciting aircraft to see.

DW.

2Donkeys
15th Nov 2005, 14:28
I'm planning on flying in from North Weald.

2D

Aussie Andy
15th Nov 2005, 17:43
I hope to if the forecast FOG on Sun morning clears in time (I have to get a/c back to Benson by 2pm).

So are many others! See http://forums.flyer.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=17843

Andy :ok:

dwshimoda
15th Nov 2005, 17:46
Excellent - looks quite popular - no wonder AV8 didn't have many tables!

bletchleytugie
15th Nov 2005, 18:14
I've got the mighty Falke booked between 11.30 and 15.00 so I'll pop over from Bicester all subject to weather of course.

MichaelJP59
15th Nov 2005, 21:31
I'll be coming down from Sheffield wx permitting, attending my first ever fly-in since getting my licence earlier this year!

I'll be the one not knowing where to park, I've only been to Kemble once and that was a few years ago for a go in a Hunter with Mr. Cubin:) That day inspired me to get my PPL though so it will bring back happy memories.

- Michael

dwshimoda
16th Nov 2005, 18:09
2donkeys,

If I see you arrive in the JP I may wander over and introduce myself. Have found some of your articles fantasti and would like to say thanks!

Also, would love another look at the Mk III if that's what you're in - was lucky enough to have a go in her earlier this year doing some aero's - quite a humbling experience for a 172 owner!!!

cblinton@blueyonder.
16th Nov 2005, 18:50
I may have to make the long haul flight from Glous to join you!!

See you all there:ok: (gear up---------gear down)

2Donkeys
16th Nov 2005, 21:18
dwshimoda

I'll be in the 5, but do come over and say hello.

2D

Brooklands
18th Nov 2005, 12:52
I'd love to come along, but I don't have a plane this weekend. Anybody going from near Oxford with a spare seat?

In hope rather than expectation.

Brooklands

Aussie Andy
18th Nov 2005, 15:57
Brooklands, if you can get yourself over to Benson there is a chance... I need to check W&B though (I'm big and its only a PA28-140 and my brother is coming too...)... so perhaps if you could PM me with your weight I can confirm...

Andy :)

Brooklands
18th Nov 2005, 16:35
Andy,

Thanks. Check your PMs. Weight may be the problem: I'm a bit on the heavy side.

Brooklands

rustle
18th Nov 2005, 17:33
Anybody going from near Oxford with a spare seat?If Blackbushe is "near Oxford" you're welcome to a lift.

bletchleytugie
18th Nov 2005, 18:28
Brooklands

The mighty falke should cope with us light weights. Drop me a PM if you want a lift over from Bicester

Bletchleytugie

ozplane
19th Nov 2005, 09:17
After a perfect, if cold, week of flying weather it looks as though this mornings fog in Cambridge is going to recycle for tomorrow morning. So no Kemble for me. It's about 100 metres viz as I write.

dwshimoda
19th Nov 2005, 09:26
Ozplane,

It was the same here (near Cranfield) this morning, but is already buring off and looks like another beautiful day! Thank G*d as I would be pretty pi55ed off having been looking longingly upwards for the last three days, to find Saturday and Sunday unflyable!

DW

Monocock
19th Nov 2005, 14:57
I missed out on a trip to Banbury today due to fog. I was heading north from Hungerford and at Wantage all I could see was a white sheet extending from Oxford in the east well past Swindon to the west. The person I was meeting said it was beautiful at Banbury and I VERY nearly went for it....

Sense took hold and I returned to base and drove (and then got stuck in a jam on the A34).

My reckoning is that the same fog will be around tomorrow I'm afraid. If not I might see peeps there.

MichaelJP59
19th Nov 2005, 15:31
Unfortunately doesn't look promising for tomorrow, don't know what it was like at Kemble but the area METARs showed FZFG all day, and no reason why it should be different tomorrow:(

Shame for AV8 will make a big difference to the lunch turnout!

Looks like if I get off the ground I'll be flying north somewhere.

Anywings
20th Nov 2005, 08:14
Hi Folks

Quick live wx update. I live 5 miles from Kemble and just looked out of the window. The high ground (I'm at 600ft asl) is clear but the valleys are full of fog; they were yesterday and stayed that way all day (temp of 4C on the high ground -0.5C in the valleys); it was a stunningly beautiful sight from up here. I'll be driving out to Kemble around 10.30 (or maybe saddling up my two-wheeled steed if I can brave the temperature). Kemble is, of course, 433ft asl, so it could be touch and go.

Hopefully see you there.

bletchleytugie
20th Nov 2005, 12:55
The freezing fog sat firmly Bicester over all morning and the viz never really got above 900m ( as measured by standing outside hangar and not beig able to see the far side of the airfield).

Started to drive home - got to Finmere - gin clear - 5 more miles and back into ILS Cat III stuff.

Oh well honours even I got to do lots of flying yesterday. Popham for New Years day next then?

ozplane
20th Nov 2005, 13:11
Same sort of frustration here near Cambridge. It was just about do-able here at Top Farm but the Cranfield METAR was not encouraging and the Brize METAR was positively DIScouraging. So she stayed in the hangar today. Roll on Popham

dwshimoda
20th Nov 2005, 16:02
Gutted! Been looking forward to this for ages, and introducing my friend and his wife to AV8. Didn't want to brave it from Cranfield though.

Thanks to the chap at AV8 who understood and was very friendly - despite probably losing loads of business today.

We WILL be back :)

Aussie Andy
21st Nov 2005, 10:35
I am very lucky - it was beautiful flying over the freezing fog. Got airborne at Wycombe, but when over Fairford learned from Kemble Information that they had closed due fog so along with several others diverted to Enstone initially (many thanks to the very helpful bloke at Wellesbourne Radio who told me that although they were closed due fog, he had heard Enstone were open!)

After a cuppa at Enstone and a ring-around to see who else was open and serving lunch, we tootled over to Turweston where we met some fun people and saw some really nice vintage Bentley cars. Lovely place, must drop in again!

Here is a pic taken looking towards RAF Benson as we crossed the Chiltern escarpment - just for my friends there who were unable to fly on Sunday :=

http://static.flickr.com/35/65123739_fe74d3d3b9.jpg

And this one shows the plume from Didcot power station emerging eerily above the fog layer:

http://static.flickr.com/28/65123819_ed609bd43e.jpg

The rest of the pics are here if interested: http://www.flickr.com/photos/andyhardy/sets/1405427/

Andy

dwshimoda
21st Nov 2005, 10:54
Andy - beatiful pictures!

I eventually got airborne about 3:30pm, and ventured a mile or so over the fog, and it was staggeringly beautiful - didn't want to go too far though as theviz was deteriorating rapidly, so just flew up and down a few times - wished I'd taken my camera and got some pics like yours!

DW

Aussie Andy
21st Nov 2005, 11:56
DW, yes I could see Cranfield as we headed south from Turweston back to Wycombe around 3pm, but I understand that earlier in the day they had been closed... must have been 50/50 vis at some stages.

I am quite comfortable over the fog, as long as I can see some holes to glide to in case of donk-failure!

Andy :ok:

Brooklands
21st Nov 2005, 12:24
Andy,

Stunning pictures - I was somewhere under that fog blanket in your first picture: the viz never got much above 300m all day Sunday.

The country house/stately home you passed on the way into Enstone is probably Heythrop Hall (where the Flyer summer bash was). Its just west of the airfield (by about 1nm) and slightly north of the extended centre line.

Brooklands

LowNSlow
21st Nov 2005, 13:37
Couldn't have made the fly-in due to other commitments but I did manage to get up around lunchtime. Spent an hour practising steep turns (even managed to find my own slipstream a few times), stalls etc for my bi-ennial next month. Had some fun doing wing-overs then watched a chap / chapess doing aeros just North of Sandy mast in a Chippy. It was starting to get foggly around 1ish so I puttered off back to base to do a few circuits followed by roast din dins back at LowNSlow Towers. Marvelous. :ok:

PS Excellent pics Andy

Aussie Andy
21st Nov 2005, 14:01
Thanks Low'n'Slow, and thanks Brooklands - I will anotate the photos on Flickr re- Heythrop Hall:

http://static.flickr.com/34/65124069_95e7c5f30d.jpg

This one, at least, I am sure is Waddesdon Manor, snapped on the way back to Wycombe from Turweston just after passing the WCO NDB:

http://static.flickr.com/29/65520221_dcbbeb5ffb_o.jpg

Andy

bletchleytugie
21st Nov 2005, 21:17
Certainly is Waddesdon - did you see Bicester on your way past or were we hiding?

Aussie Andy
21st Nov 2005, 22:45
Bicester was nowhere to be seen mate!

:ok: