PDA

View Full Version : Boeing launches the 747-8

GreekPilot747
15th Nov 2005, 08:29
Boeing has it on their website now.
They officialy launched the next generation 747. Launching customers are both cargo operators, namely Nippon Cargo and Cargolux Airlines.
First delivery scheduled to Cargolux 3rd quarter 2009, Nippon Cargo 4th quarter 2009.

Buster Hyman
15th Nov 2005, 10:24
The 747-8 Freighter will be 5.6 m (18.3 ft) longer than the 747-400 freighter. With a total payload capacity of 140 metric tonnes (154 tons), including tare weight, the 747-8F provides 16 percent more cargo revenue volume than the -400. The additional 117m³ (4,124 ft³) from the longer fuselage offers space for four additional main-deck pallets, two additional lower-hold pallets and two additional lower-hold containers.

Strewth! Better dust off those tipping charts Ratty!:uhoh:

GreekPilot747
15th Nov 2005, 10:52
The cargo version is going to have fuselage extensions, both fore and aft of the wing, so it might not be too critical in that respect.
However let the loadmasters speak.

Buster Hyman
15th Nov 2005, 10:56
If the aft extension is forward of the rear door...?...that's going to cause some angst on the ramp! A forward extension won't offset that.

GlueBall
16th Nov 2005, 00:40
I'm sure that between now and 2009 the loading details will be satisfactorily addressed, in fact, on pure freighters there could be a side cargo door forward of the wing.

Buster Hyman
16th Nov 2005, 01:14
No, no no! You're missing the point GlueBall! This is what a Rumour network is all about...it's our duty to worry about what professionals paid to design such things are doing.

It's a tough job, but someone's gotta do it!:)

CR2
18th Nov 2005, 06:00
Hi Buster,
The forward plug is bigger than the aft one from what I've seen. CG should not be an issue.
PS, I got your email ref chocolate, will send them down to our MEL office next week.

Intruder
18th Nov 2005, 09:06
Airborne CG may not be an issue, but [un]loading those last/first few pallets could be a bear! :)

Buster Hyman
18th Nov 2005, 21:19
You're a legend Ratty! Same arrangements as last time? Let me know!:ok:

CR2
20th Nov 2005, 01:09
Intruder: see previous post wrt CG.

Buster: Nurriers. couple of 6packs of XXXX and call it quits? Email you end next week.

No thread creep :O :O

We ordered the -ADV. We're happy. Ops peeps, Pilot peeps, anyone who is CLX peeps. (Accountants don't count).
Airbus tried very hard to stuff a package aircraft down our throats. We told them 6-7 years ago what they would have to do in order to persuade us that the then 3XX would be much better than a 74F. They knew better and wouldn't listen.

CR2 to snr VP Airbus: Can you build the 380 with an NCD?
VP Airbus to CR2: Yes, but you don't need it. So we won't.

Oh really.... Must be our fault that we haven't a clue what we need/want. Green behind the ears wannabe -F builder knows better.

;)

RampTramp
21st Nov 2005, 15:24
Ratty,

Don'tya just love those Airbus guys. I remember some of the conversations when we were getting the -B4s and others when they were trying to sell us the 320/321 series as freighters. The 'we know better what you want than you do' attitude.

Me (talking 321) 'We want the cargo door back a bit so we can counter balance in Posn. 1 on the ground'

Them 'We see no reason for that'

Me 'Oh really? What was the last cargo aircraft you loaded?'

Them 'Er' SIlence 'But nobody has complained about the A300'

At that point I gave up!

RT

Grunf
21st Nov 2005, 17:42
Hello all.

Apparently it seems Airbus has a strange approach to freighters, apart from A300s . As long as they're stubborn with their approach the field will be fully open for Boeing (and Antonov up to the point).

I would assume they could try to do some conversions but fat chance, I guess.

I saw that stubbornness with the NCD on few other occasions when competent engineers form potential subcontractors and from some airlines/freighters suggested some stuff, in prelim phase of A380 development.

Outcome was more then cold and negative. Bad for them from what we can see now. They miss the whole market, still, for puzzling reasons, at least to me.

Boeing does step on its toes, a little bit, with 400F and 400 BCF and 747-8F at the same time but it is a big offer so, at the end, it's better for the customer, right?

Anyway, as I said before let's wait for a 747-8 PDR and see how are things progressing.

Cheers

MetAl
26th Nov 2005, 05:37
Let's see, Boeing Contract, 747-8 ordered...

It must suck to be at Cargolux. :p :p :p

luxfreight
4th Dec 2005, 15:33
"It must suck to be at Cargolux"

Let's see, MetAl you must be a desk driving wannabee......:}