PDA

View Full Version : Could Nick Lappos (et all) please write a book?

HUDAT
12th Nov 2005, 19:29
Nick......Mr. Lappos....
How does this idea strike you?

We low timers glean a LOT from your posts, and the posts of several other regular (experienced) PPRuners like Dennis Kenyon, amongst others.
Hows about a "professional helicopter pilot's manual" co-authored by those professionals (from around the globe) voted "IN" by the prospective buyers of said text?
That is, PPRune Rotorheads could organise some kind of poll to vote for Author and Content, (even if conflicting in stance on certain issues; perspectives) Moderated by agreed rules?
I am perhaps naive in the practicalities of the publishing game, but it seems to me that the target audience would be an excellent judge of where to start and with whom to start, based on what has been freely given to us to date..

A bit like us placing a really big order in advance for some really detailed information (and a resources/ photos CD including PPRune links).
Hell; you're writing and we're reading now, for the good cause.
Why not some of you folks make some money from it?
Or if you're all doing okay then the resultant organisation may wish to assist (with any subsequent profits) that "helicopters sans frontiers" idea i saw recently, or some such positive cause..

Maybe an e-book?

or i could just shut up.......

What do you think?

Rotorbee
12th Nov 2005, 19:57
Darn
I wanted to say that.

Dear Nick
It is about time to write a book. Scott Crossfield also became a real testpilot only after writing his book.
I think we all want to hear:
Helicopter urban legends - the longs.
All those storys about those machos you trained
Gyroscopic precession, centrifugal force, LTE, RSV, HTG and all the other things we thought we knew something about.
What do you want us to do? Point a gun in your general direction? (SASless would probably say that you are difficult to miss).
Ok, get on with it. I need a present for christmas.

Cheers

Brilliant Stuff
12th Nov 2005, 20:07
That is an excellent idea!!!!!!!!:ok:

Nige321
12th Nov 2005, 20:16
Form an orderley queue here...:8

Come on Nick, when will it be ready??

Nige

Genghis the Engineer
12th Nov 2005, 21:08
Something like this?

http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P/0340652497.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

G

NickLappos
12th Nov 2005, 21:44
Actually, I am working on a book, and a set of classroom video discussions on computer format that key to the book. Should be out within a year.

Looking for a "Tool-Time" girl to help hold the cards.....

rotorcraig
12th Nov 2005, 23:21
Looking for a "Tool-Time" girl to help hold the cards.....Well I had to look it up on TV ACRES: Nicknames (http://www.tvacres.com/nick_t.htm)

Tool Time Girl, The - Curvaceous assistant of Tim Taylor (Tim Allen) a cohost of the Detroit-based cable TV Fix-It-Show on the sitcom HOME IMPROVEMENT/ABC/1991-99. The blond and buxom Pamela Anderson played Lisa, the first Tool Time Girl from 1991-93. When Anderson left the series for a role on BAYWATCH, her Lisa character was succeeded by Heidi (Debbe Dunning), a wholesome, sexy brunette (but-she-doesn't-know-she's-sexy) girl-next-door, who sported a well-slung buckskin tool belt. The Tool Time Girl's chief responsibilities were as sexual-object walk-ons who introduced program host Tim "The Tool Man" Taylor with the rousing inquiry "Does everybody know what time it is?" To which the audience cried "Tool Time!" (People Weekly 10/18/93 p. 107-110 ). See also - "Dr. Fix-um" (http://www.tvacres.com/nick_d.htm)

NickLappos
13th Nov 2005, 11:16
Those are some fine books, Shawn was kind enough to share his manuscript with me, and I really like that one.
While they are good reference, I do think there is unplowed terrain for hopefully helpful advice and background info.
Most books survey everything, I would think there is a place for one that goes the other way - take 10 or so deeper topics, and explore them fully.

I picture the 'Myths" theme first, taken from a thread that had almost 12,000 hits here in pprune:

Vortex Ring State (VRS)

Blade stall

Downwind hovering

The Height Velocity curve

Engine failure issues

Ground Effect

Phase lag

LTE

Limits, what they mean, who sets them, what margins exist?

Any other topics out there?

slowrotor
13th Nov 2005, 15:52
Nick,
Please include in your book your insights about design. Just use basic math and show actual math samples. The usual text leaves most everybody skipping through the unusable math. I think the authors are trying to prove how smart they are. The truly good authors can convey the ideas so that most can understand without the math. Use words instead of formulas wherever possible.
You have that ability to transfer complex concepts in a fun and understandable manner, so get busy.

Dave_Jackson
13th Nov 2005, 16:44
Slowrotor,

Prouty has a way of expressing rotorcraft activities with very little math. His book 'Military Helicopter Design Technology' should be of interest. It is 135 pages of conceptual overview.

http://www.unicopter.com/Temporary/Prouty2.gif

As you mention, Nick's knowledge and his clarity in expressing it would certainly add significantly to Prouty's contribution in this area.

Edited to add picture; 'cause Stringfellow Dork will probably ask for more picturers. ;)

Stringfellow Dork
13th Nov 2005, 16:49
Hey, this was my idea! (See approach angles thread.)

Completely agree with slowrotor - thorough but simple(ish) text and as many pictures as you can squeeze in.

I look forward to purchasing my copy!

Wunper
13th Nov 2005, 19:08
Dave J

Whilst the design issues are very interesting, I believe they are very well covered by Ray Prouty's works. I also agree with Genghis that Shawns books are superb. What strikes me looking at the threads on this forum is a need for a Pilotage and Handling equivalent to Prouty. i.e. a tome that isn't stuffed with boggling and self indulgent math but good rational (read visual) explanations for bean usage and elephant management.

I would hazard a guess that the bulk of rotorheads if being honest would fall at the first mathematical fence and glaze over if faced with the kind of equations that are found plastered across almost every page of the heavyweight Helicopter theory of Flight textbooks

I think the bulk of young and not-so-young rotorheads are after myth dispelling aircraft handling issues and ass saving rules of thumb that will prevent lowtimers converting very expensive bits of hardware into scrap metal.

A classic example of this was the recent approach angles thread, the interesting gist of this theme for me was that although the names of the bogeymen were different or misunderstood the fundamental rules of thumb to avoid them was the same

To quote Nick

" To make an approach and at the bottom be much less than 300 fpm is good pilotage, and likely to produce a very satisfactory approach. I used to tell students that at 100 feet they better be at 300fpm or less, or I would start yelling, even in a three engined monster with 13,000 horsepower. Nothing to do with VRS, it is because it keeps the elephants away"

Bottom line: manage your ROD VERY carefully when you are near the ground and decelerating esp. on low power machines

there have been other threads which really are variations on the same theme which actually is what helicopters are all about, viz you have a heavy ship and a small LZ possibly surrounded by obstacles such as high trees. How do you get in without modifying the machine? and what cues should be in the front of your mind when evaluating the sense of attempting to carry out a manoeuvre?

To Nick

1/ The aircraft certification process
A/ Civil
B/ Military

2/ POH "Limits” what they really mean and how they are established.
3/ The basic commandments of flying a grossed out machine.
4/ Confined areas/ steep approaches
5/ Fuel and endurance management.
6/ Out of wind ops rules of thumb
7/ Smooth flying
8/ Back in the saddle training after extended layoff

Cheers

Wunper!

Revolutionary
14th Nov 2005, 00:58
http://members.cox.net/jasptastic/aaaaa.jpg

Just having a little fun with you, Nick;)

I was going to have the author be:

NICK LAPPOS
Breeder of Trophy Colliers

But deemed it too farfetched!

Please don't make it just a technical tome: you're at your best when relaying personal observations and experiences:ok:

toolguy
14th Nov 2005, 12:47
HA! I've fallen and I can't get up! good job on the cover Revolutionary! Actually, I look forward to Nick's book. Maybe add a topic on elevated platform or Cat A vertical ops. Put me on the list for a copy! :D

Aser
14th Nov 2005, 14:08
I already have the Shawn book and I would add an extensive talk about
the CAT A operations
HUMS
HOMP
FLY BY WIRE
ELECTRIC ACTUATORS
FADECs
AUTOPILOTS
and all the latest gadgets.

And the title "Helicopters for helicopter pilots"
Without the basic control/aerodinamic stuff.

Best regards
Aser

slowrotor
15th Nov 2005, 15:58
Nick,
I think it would be great if you could write a book called "How to design and build a helicopter".
All the helo aerodynamics books are nearly the same. We dont need another version of those. There is much more needed to build the future experimental helicopter than just aerodynamics.
Just my view.

Stringfellow Dork
15th Nov 2005, 16:24
All the helo aerodynamics books are nearly the same.

That's the point - Mr. Lappos's would, I hope/believe, be dispelling the "myths" and therefore not the same! I would also like to think that it might be picked up by "those that ask the questions" and therefore ingrained into all new pilots from the beggining.

Not too much to ask of you is it Mr Lappos?!!!

:ok:

Genghis the Engineer
15th Nov 2005, 16:40
I'd venture that the current helicopter aerodynamics books by no means contain or perpetuate "myths".

For my money (and I'd extend this to fixed wing to a fair extent as well) the problem is that there are books for engineers, books for pilots, and very little that brings them together. Without doubt Nick is the sort of chap who can plug that gap. (Shawn has to a fair extent also, but is probably just a little busy right now!)

G

Geoffersincornwall
15th Nov 2005, 19:39
Can Nick also include a chapter called

"When CDF is more important than CAT A or any other letter"

In other words - times when I chuck performance considerations out the window - like a night landing on a dodgy helideck, a day landing on one of those little b***ds with a big bow deck and no references, and going into a tight HEMS site with a zillion sticky-out-up bits to spoil your day.

G

:}

OFBSLF
16th Nov 2005, 16:55
As SFL, I'd be more interested in a book about the history of helicopters, as seen by Nick at Sikorsky.

- A view from the inside, focusing on the design/testing issues.
- What happened with the Comanche? Why so late and over cost?
- More on S92 vs EH101 competition for the presidential flight.
- Fun and not-so-fun lessons learned while testing helicopters -- "There I was in a dark and stormy cockpit...".

Flying Lawyer
16th Nov 2005, 21:33
Having spent time with Nick over the years when those and similar topics have come up in conversation, I have no doubt he could write a fascinating book. Nick describes events/incidents in such a modest 'matter of fact' way but, to anyone interested in helicopters, the stories are gripping.

However, I'm pleased he's starting with an educational book. Nick has that rare gift of being able to explain even difficult topics in a way which makes even someone as inexperienced and uninformed as me wonder why I didn't understand it before.
I suspect an educational book by Nick will add to everyone's knowledge of helicopters, from pilots at my lowly level to the most experienced.

I hope he writes about his work at Sikorsky as well, at some stage. It would be a fascinating read.

SASless
16th Nov 2005, 22:18
Ah yes it would....in red crayon and big block letters. He did attend Cow Tech in Georgia if one recalls correctly. Probably lived on the wonderful hotdogs from the place around the corner from the campus.....and considered it a night out when he did.:E